Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default For Sale: 36" Northfield Bandsaw

On Jul 9, 6:05*pm, dpb wrote:
Leon wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

The taxes are simply not where they need to be. *Check out how many
industrialized nations don't have a VAT for imports. *If there was a
US VAT on imports it would help level the playing field.

Have you ever looked at import taxes on automobiles?

That's a slippery slope and protectionism was a key factor in deepening
the '30s depression.

Times have changed. Unless a business makes enough money to stay
liquid they won't stay in business for long. The US is not liquid and
won't be until some things are addressed - China owning US debt is a
biggie. If the US had a VAT that would help correct a lot of the
imbalance in imports, debt, off-shoring manufacturing, etc.

OTOH, there are and have been a number of negotiated trade agreements
(the ones of which I am specifically aware are ag-related being a
farmer; I'm sure there are probably others in other areas as well) which
have been waiting for ratification for 2-3 years being held hostage by
certain congress-critters w/ particular axes to grind. *Meanwhile, in
all those areas the Canadians, Australians, EU members have done
effectively shutting US exports out or at least damaging their relative
position in those markets greatly.

This is the single biggest problem the country faces. When a country,
and government, can be held hostage by a single asshole and there's no
retribution or recourse. I consider that treason and the punishment
should be the standard.

Check out some import data from 2008:
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...value&sort=asc
The US has a notably smaller import value as a percentage of GDP than
almost any other country. The world is just as dependent on US
exports as we are on imports. A VAT would affect China most, and
would help address the debt/trade imbalance.

Of course it would have to start slow and be phased to give time to
adapt, and it won't be easy, but I don't see how it is avoidable if we
want to stay in business. Then again, metric was written into law and
we ignored that to our detriment, so who knows what will happen.

It's a complicated web but there's certainly a lack of coordinated
effort to ensure best possible playing field for US goods abroad in
general.

Another sticky wicket about to happen is the suspension of the onerous
requirements on Cuba that will expire Sept 30 w/, it appears, minimal
chances of getting an extension thru before Oct 1 owing to preoccupation
w/ other things or picayune arguments by a few again...

Maybe I misunderstand you - you believe the restrictions should be
renewed?