Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Source for twist drill bits

Hi all;

I need to buy 15 - 20 twist drill bits, the odd sizes that don't come
in sets (9/64, 5/32, &tc.). I don;t need anything fancy, just the
usual HSS, general purpose bits.

Anybody got a good source for such?

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Hi all;

I need to buy 15 - 20 twist drill bits, the odd sizes that don't come
in sets (9/64, 5/32, &tc.). I don;t need anything fancy, just the
usual HSS, general purpose bits.

Anybody got a good source for such?

-Zz

Actually the sizes you mentioned are pretty common in most drill sets.

So I would say you can look most any where???

I bought an inexpensive Hitachi set, tripple hardened, a couple of years
ago from Lowe's that included,

1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8

I did not need the set but they were just too cheap to pass up for $5.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Hi all;

I need to buy 15 - 20 twist drill bits, the odd sizes that don't come
in sets (9/64, 5/32, &tc.). I don;t need anything fancy, just the
usual HSS, general purpose bits.

Anybody got a good source for such?

-Zz

Actually the sizes you mentioned are pretty common in most drill sets.

So I would say you can look most any where???

I bought an inexpensive Hitachi set, tripple hardened, a couple of years
ago from Lowe's that included,

1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8

I did not need the set but they were just too cheap to pass up for $5.

And, unless you need multiple of the same size, it's probably cheaper to
buy set that includes what you want rather than by individual bits.

There's everything from the Harbor Freight type to all US for the range
of prices (and commensurate quality to go with). Some (dare I say most)
of the imports are, ime, decent enough from a sharpness standpoint but
they get the hardness at the expense of being very brittle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-07-04, Leon wrote:

I bought an inexpensive Hitachi set, tripple hardened.....

If you are going to drill wood only, triple hardened, chrome vanadium,
and other cheap drill nonsense is probably OK. If drilling metal is
anywhere in the scheme of things, they will become junk in mere
seconds. Drills labeled HSS (high speed steel) are the minimum
requirement for drilling metal. Spend the money and do it right.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Hi all;

I need to buy 15 - 20 twist drill bits, the odd sizes that don't come
in sets (9/64, 5/32, &tc.). I don;t need anything fancy, just the
usual HSS, general purpose bits.

Anybody got a good source for such?

-Zz

Any industrial supply house will have them. As will McMaster, Grainger,
etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Hi all;

I need to buy 15 - 20 twist drill bits, the odd sizes that don't come
in sets (9/64, 5/32, &tc.). I don;t need anything fancy, just the
usual HSS, general purpose bits.

Anybody got a good source for such?

I buy individual bits from these folks, as needed, while ordering other
items.

http://www.brownells.com/Default.aspx

These are useful...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6...REPAIR_PIN_KIT

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 10:47*am, Zz Yzx wrote:

I need to buy 15 - 20 twist drill bits, the odd sizes that don't come
in sets (9/64, 5/32, &tc.).

Places like www.use-enco.com can fill odd orders. You can
also get sets (#1-#60 is a very useful set of small twist drills, if
you don't already have those).

If you can find a local hardware store that actually has this
kind of thing in stock, give them your business. I like
Hardwick's, in Seattle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-07-04, Leon wrote:

I bought an inexpensive Hitachi set, tripple hardened.....

If you are going to drill wood only, triple hardened, chrome vanadium,
and other cheap drill nonsense is probably OK. If drilling metal is
anywhere in the scheme of things, they will become junk in mere
seconds. Drills labeled HSS (high speed steel) are the minimum
requirement for drilling metal. Spend the money and do it right.

nb

The point I was really trying to make was that the sizes that he OP wants
are not big deal to find, they even come in cheap sets.

Source for wood drill bits jim UK diy 7 October 20th 08 09:57 PM
Next source question: cobalt drill bits in SF peninsula? Edward A. Falk Metalworking 3 June 23rd 08 12:09 AM
Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist bits? Phisherman Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 November 14th 07 02:18 AM
Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist drill bits Phisherman Woodworking 2 November 8th 07 11:54 PM
Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits? JWho Metalworking 18 November 20th 05 07:07 AM