Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Source for twist drill bits

Leon wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Hi all;

I need to buy 15 - 20 twist drill bits, the odd sizes that don't come
in sets (9/64, 5/32, &tc.). I don;t need anything fancy, just the
usual HSS, general purpose bits.

Anybody got a good source for such?

-Zz

Actually the sizes you mentioned are pretty common in most drill sets.

So I would say you can look most any where???

I bought an inexpensive Hitachi set, tripple hardened, a couple of years
ago from Lowe's that included,

1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8

I did not need the set but they were just too cheap to pass up for $5.

And, unless you need multiple of the same size, it's probably cheaper to
buy set that includes what you want rather than by individual bits.

There's everything from the Harbor Freight type to all US for the range
of prices (and commensurate quality to go with). Some (dare I say most)
of the imports are, ime, decent enough from a sharpness standpoint but
they get the hardness at the expense of being very brittle.