Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist bits?

I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the differences
between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood, much
less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS? Are all bits Made in
China?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the differences
between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood, much
less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS? Are all bits Made in
China?

I try never to use an ordinary twist bit when wood working. I much prefer
the brad point bit to cut a clean hole with no tear out.

BTY there is a big difference in the brad point bits, typically they have 3
sharp points to start a clean cut.

Both can be made out of HSS and can be made in China, Germany, USA, etc.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The brad points are far and away the best for wood drilling. There is
also, as in all tools, a big difference in quality. I went for a 7 for
$15 set to a 7 for $45 set and was amazed at how obvious the
difference was.