DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist bits? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/220357-pros-cons-brad-point-twist-bits.html)

Phisherman November 8th 07 03:25 PM

Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist bits?

I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the differences
between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood, much
less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS? Are all bits Made in
China?

Leon November 8th 07 04:42 PM

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have sorted through my drill bits and wondered about the differences
between brad and twist drill bits. I mostly drill holes in wood, much
less so in metal or plastics. Are both HSS? Are all bits Made in
China?

I try never to use an ordinary twist bit when wood working. I much prefer
the brad point bit to cut a clean hole with no tear out.

BTY there is a big difference in the brad point bits, typically they have 3
sharp points to start a clean cut.

Both can be made out of HSS and can be made in China, Germany, USA, etc.

Jim K November 14th 07 02:18 AM

Pros/Cons of brad-point and twist bits?

The brad points are far and away the best for wood drilling. There is
also, as in all tools, a big difference in quality. I went for a 7 for
$15 set to a 7 for $45 set and was amazed at how obvious the
difference was.