Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New table saw - can't change blade

On 1/4/15 9:46 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

Gotcha. And you should never have an issue with the nut coming off by
itself, arbor nuts are self tightening with use.
On the flip side of that, I have never oiled the arbor nut on any of
my saws and never had a problem with removing the nuts.

I would say that's an expected consequence of regular use.
If you routinely remove the nut (to switch from crosscut
to rip or dado set, etc) then corrosion and gunk never
collect on the threads, so they work as intended.

Gotta be careful with the sawdust on that arbor.
Once spark and BOOM!!!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 1/4/15 9:46 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

Gotcha. And you should never have an issue with the nut coming off
by itself, arbor nuts are self tightening with use.
On the flip side of that, I have never oiled the arbor nut on any of
my saws and never had a problem with removing the nuts.

I would say that's an expected consequence of regular use.
If you routinely remove the nut (to switch from crosscut
to rip or dado set, etc) then corrosion and gunk never
collect on the threads, so they work as intended.

Gotta be careful with the sawdust on that arbor.
Once spark and BOOM!!!

Only if using an ungrounded PVC dust extractor tube...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

Gotcha. And you should never have an issue with the nut coming off by
itself, arbor nuts are self tightening with use.
On the flip side of that, I have never oiled the arbor nut on any of
my saws and never had a problem with removing the nuts.

I would say that's an expected consequence of regular use.
If you routinely remove the nut (to switch from crosscut
to rip or dado set, etc) then corrosion and gunk never
collect on the threads, so they work as intended.

Hard to say, there is no rust anywhere in the nut or arbor. Perhaps better
quality of steel.

In the OP's case (the post from 2010) I'd guess Ryobi uses
air wrenches in their factory, and likely the nut was crossed
and the assembler just ran it up that way, not being able to
feel it wasn't right.

John

I'm sure Ryobi does use air wrenches but I'd would be very surprised if
they were not calibrated to the correct torque.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 00:08:58 -0600, Leon wrote:

Hard to say, there is no rust anywhere in the nut or arbor. Perhaps better
quality of steel.

Maybe he cut some oak you know that oak rust is bad.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/15 1:14 PM, Markem wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 00:08:58 -0600, Leon wrote:

Hard to say, there is no rust anywhere in the nut or arbor. Perhaps better
quality of steel.

Maybe he cut some oak you know that oak rust is bad.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that darned oak rust. That's a double-whammy.
I think he's going to have to just throw that summbich away.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--