Old November 10th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default I can't change the blade on a B & D miter saw.

Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

Old November 10th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:28:13 -0800 (PST), Tom
wrote:

Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

Are you *absolutely* sure you're turning the arbor nut in the right
direction to loosen it?
Old November 10th 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Black and Decker? I thought they just made disposables. If the blade
is dull throw outthe saw and buy one with a fresh blade. ;^)

Actually, if it is slipping when you hold the balde then it isn't so
tight it shouldn't be able to break it loose. If there is no obvious
brake, which I assume there isn't I can think of two options.

1. See if there is any cooling opening in the moter wherby you can
gently JAM in a screwdriver or other implement to hold the motor while
you work the nut.

2. If you have a hammer\impact drill and can set it up with a socket,
that will surely breal it loose, as long as it is spinning the right
direction. Nothing works better than vibration. Along that same line,
holdingthe blade and doing some light tapping on an open end or box
wrench can have the same effect.

Also might try some wd40 or other penetrating rust\sieze killer but of
it gets between the blade and washer it will more easily slip so be
careful.

Old November 10th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 12:28*pm, Tom wrote:
Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the *blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

I don't know if you have the manual or not, but it says to push the
blade into the table top to keep it from turning. Doesn't sound like
that will help you much if the arbor is still turning.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/docu...type%202-3.pdf

Also, I noticed that that saw was the subject of a recall.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml88/88071.html
Old November 10th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Also, I noticed that that saw was the subject of a recall.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml88/88071.html

You'd think he'd be suspicious when after asking the guy how long he had
the saw, the guy help up three fingers and said, "four years."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old November 10th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Also, I noticed that that saw was the subject of a recall.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml88/88071.html

You'd think he'd be suspicious when after asking the guy how long he had
the saw, the guy help up three fingers and said, "four years."

--

ROFL .... now to get the coffee out of the keyboard

diggerop

Old November 10th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not familiar with this particular saw, but many have a little
"button" near the point where the shaft protrudes from the housing
that fits into a keyway or kerf in the shaft. If there is none,
I'd consider jambing the blade as suggested, then using an air
impact wrench to loosen the bolt holding the blade to the shaft.
Also, be sure to look and see that the bolt is designed to turn
the way you're turning it. For a shaft protruding out the right
side of the motor, it's normally a ccw operation looking toward
the motor from the bolt. For a shaft on the other side, like on a
RAS or many chop saws, the bolt is typically the opposite thread,
as I recall.

Nonny

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
message
On Nov 10, 12:28 pm, Tom wrote:
[...]

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the amount of education actually
absorbed by children. Don't sacrifice the smart
kids to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.

Old November 10th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Tom, make sure you are turning it the proper way. All saw blades,
no matter what piece of equipment, need to have the nut the same
direction as the saw blade turns to remove. I assume your motor
is on the right, blade on the left and that it turns clockwise
when running. Turn the nut clockwise to remove.

As others have said, I'm fairly sure the saw has an armature lock
(the one that shows up on Amazon does). If you can't find one,
use a scrap piece of wood set just like you planned to cut it.
Cram the blade into the board. Turn the nut clockwise. If the
armature turns and the blade does not, there is a different
problem - the threads are hurt or the nut is rusted on.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Old November 10th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Tom,

My Craftsman hand saw started doing this same thing last year. I think
a brake went bad!? But I am able to change blades. I have a "nut" on
the rear of the blade that I have to hold while turning the front arbor
screw. This keeps the shaft from turning. I hope this is helpful.

Mike in Ohio

Old November 11th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Tom wrote:
Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

In addition to the other good suggestions, slather the nut and shaft with
nut-release juice.