Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I can't change the blade on a B & D miter saw.

Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:28:13 -0800 (PST), Tom
wrote:

Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

Are you *absolutely* sure you're turning the arbor nut in the right
direction to loosen it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Black and Decker? I thought they just made disposables. If the blade
is dull throw outthe saw and buy one with a fresh blade. ;^)

Actually, if it is slipping when you hold the balde then it isn't so
tight it shouldn't be able to break it loose. If there is no obvious
brake, which I assume there isn't I can think of two options.

1. See if there is any cooling opening in the moter wherby you can
gently JAM in a screwdriver or other implement to hold the motor while
you work the nut.

2. If you have a hammer\impact drill and can set it up with a socket,
that will surely breal it loose, as long as it is spinning the right
direction. Nothing works better than vibration. Along that same line,
holdingthe blade and doing some light tapping on an open end or box
wrench can have the same effect.

Also might try some wd40 or other penetrating rust\sieze killer but of
it gets between the blade and washer it will more easily slip so be
careful.

On Nov 10, 9:28*am, Tom wrote:
Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the *blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 12:28*pm, Tom wrote:
Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the *blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

I don't know if you have the manual or not, but it says to push the
blade into the table top to keep it from turning. Doesn't sound like
that will help you much if the arbor is still turning.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/docu...type%202-3.pdf

Also, I noticed that that saw was the subject of a recall.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml88/88071.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Also, I noticed that that saw was the subject of a recall.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml88/88071.html

You'd think he'd be suspicious when after asking the guy how long he had
the saw, the guy help up three fingers and said, "four years."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Also, I noticed that that saw was the subject of a recall.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml88/88071.html

You'd think he'd be suspicious when after asking the guy how long he had
the saw, the guy help up three fingers and said, "four years."

--

ROFL .... now to get the coffee out of the keyboard

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not familiar with this particular saw, but many have a little
"button" near the point where the shaft protrudes from the housing
that fits into a keyway or kerf in the shaft. If there is none,
I'd consider jambing the blade as suggested, then using an air
impact wrench to loosen the bolt holding the blade to the shaft.
Also, be sure to look and see that the bolt is designed to turn
the way you're turning it. For a shaft protruding out the right
side of the motor, it's normally a ccw operation looking toward
the motor from the bolt. For a shaft on the other side, like on a
RAS or many chop saws, the bolt is typically the opposite thread,
as I recall.

Nonny

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in
message
On Nov 10, 12:28 pm, Tom wrote:
[...]

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the amount of education actually
absorbed by children. Don't sacrifice the smart
kids to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom, make sure you are turning it the proper way. All saw blades,
no matter what piece of equipment, need to have the nut the same
direction as the saw blade turns to remove. I assume your motor
is on the right, blade on the left and that it turns clockwise
when running. Turn the nut clockwise to remove.

As others have said, I'm fairly sure the saw has an armature lock
(the one that shows up on Amazon does). If you can't find one,
use a scrap piece of wood set just like you planned to cut it.
Cram the blade into the board. Turn the nut clockwise. If the
armature turns and the blade does not, there is a different
problem - the threads are hurt or the nut is rusted on.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Tom" wrote in message
Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said
it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature
of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the
blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor
remove the blade?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Tom,

My Craftsman hand saw started doing this same thing last year. I think
a brake went bad!? But I am able to change blades. I have a "nut" on
the rear of the blade that I have to hold while turning the front arbor
screw. This keeps the shaft from turning. I hope this is helpful.

Mike in Ohio

Tom wrote:
Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom wrote:
Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

In addition to the other good suggestions, slather the nut and shaft with
nut-release juice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Vacuum and then blow all the sawdust out of the saw. Now get your
littlel propane torch out and put it right on the nut while spinning
the blade with your hand. Once it's good and hot, try loosening it
again. It should pop off.

Not on my watch.

A 1500 Watt heat gun, maybe, but not a propane torch.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:00:24 -0800 (PST), Tom
wrote:

Are you *absolutely* sure you're turning the arbor nut in the right
direction to loosen it?

Yes! And I did try both clock and counter clock wise.

The easiest way to determine is that an arbor nut turns to tighten in
the same direction as the way the blade turns to cut wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not so. All blades release by turning the nut the way the blade
turns. True for table saws, circular saws, miter saws, pavement
saws.

--
______________________________

wrote:

Are you *absolutely* sure you're turning the arbor nut in the
right
direction to loosen it?

Yes! And I did try both clock and counter clock wise.

The easiest way to determine is that an arbor nut turns to
tighten in
the same direction as the way the blade turns to cut wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques writes:

With the saw blade turning toward you to cut, the nut comes off the
way the teeth point.

Assuming the blade is installed correctly. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" writes:

Nut-release juice? Insert your own joke here.

I'm SURE I got some spam with that in the Subject line.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

Are you *absolutely* sure you're turning the arbor nut in the right
direction to loosen it?

Yes! And I did try both clock and counter clock wise.

Always always with out exception you loosen a nut by turning it in the same
dirrection that it spins when running.
Have you checked for an armature lock button?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of
the motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the
blade so it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the
motor to remove the blade?

Are you *absolutely* sure you're turning the arbor nut in the right
direction to loosen it?

Yes! And I did try both clock and counter clock wise.

Always always with out exception you loosen a nut by turning it in
the same dirrection that it spins when running.
Have you checked for an armature lock button?

If it doesn't come off any other way find a service station and tip a
mechanic to take it off with a big impact wrench. There should be enough
friction for the impact to trigger even if the blade is slipping on the
shaft.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 12:28*pm, Tom wrote:
Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.

I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it
needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the *blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so
it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?

If there is enough space between the nut and the end of the shaft
drill a small hole through the shaft end so you can get a awl or other
rod in place to hold the shaft still while loosing the nut.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom[_30_] View Post
The armature of the
motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. How do I lock the motor to
remove the blade?
I know this was posted in 2009 but I this is one of the first threads that comes up when searching for how to change a Black and Decker miter saw blade so I figured I would add my answer for anyone else who may be searching and will find this.

I have a Black and Decker Firestorm and to the right, at the very end of the motor housing (the big bulky orange part where your handle and such are), you can insert an Allen wrench or hex key and while it technically does not lock, it provides counter resistance while you are trying to turn the nut at the blade side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't think I have ever seen so many stupid answers to a question in my life. The saw has left hand threads. Instead of turning it counter clock wise, turn it clockwise to loosen it. Jan the bland into a small scrap of wood.. use a box wrench and hit it with a hammer. A couple of good smacks will loosen it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jan the bland?

FWIW not all saw fixing nuts or bolts loosen clockwise.

The fixing nut or bolt loosens in the direction that the blade spins
when cutting.

Refrain from using a hammer.

Jan the bland? Auto correct screwed up. Was supposed to say, "Jam the blade into a scrap of wood." LOL, you said exactly the same thing I did except I used the words clockwise and counter clockwise. The blade cuts in the clock wise direction, the bolt loosens in the clockwise direction. I have the same exact saw. Left hand thread. Tapping the wrench with a hammer is just about the same as an impact hammer but with less damage.

Never jam anything into the fan blades of the motor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 6:12:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Jan the bland?

FWIW not all saw fixing nuts or bolts loosen clockwise.

The fixing nut or bolt loosens in the direction that the blade spins
when cutting.

Refrain from using a hammer.

Jan the bland? Auto correct screwed up. Was supposed to Jam the blade...

Did they have auto-correct in a newsreader back in 2009?

I certainly hope he got his blade off by now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Turn it counter clockwise

Posted to rec.woodworking

Turn clockwise actually