Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default compressed-air drills

On 5/25/10 9:52 AM, Josepi wrote:
I don't know what nailguns these nay sayers have been told about but it
starts to become clear, with all the statements, they aren't dealing with
any air powered nailgun I have ever seen and probably not one they have ever
seen either....LOL I doubt any have attended formal framing school lessons
with those attitudes.

The whole discussion starts to wreak of trollish, actually. These guys have
a reputation in other groups for being bored. Next will come the history
digging OCD demonstration.

I swear, I'm going to go rent the newest, most powerful air nailer,
videotape myself firing it from 100ft at the shed or something, just to
shut you up. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 25, 10:41*am, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/24/10 11:29 PM, wrote:

BTW, I think the case in question was a Hilti. *...a little different beast
than a pneumatic nailer.

If you're talking about the ones that use .22 caliber shells, then yeah,
basically a hand gun. *Apple to orange.

ISTR it was bigger than a .22, but yes.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/10 11:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/25/10 2:03 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2010 01:01:30 -0400,
wrote:

Here is 238,000 occurances to look through.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rl...f&oq=&gs_rfai=

wrote in message
If the guy, from a few weeks ago, can paint with a nail gun, they
must be
dangerous projectiles. Video doesn't lie. You saw it! ;-)

BTW, I think the case in question was a Hilti. ...a little different
beast
than a pneumatic nailer.

Here is a link to a similar case, involving a ramset

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5220,2123430

Florida, 1973.

3" nail was fired through a wall, traveled across the room, hit her in
the chest and exited out her back...after traveling through a 2x4 (deep
width) and then bounced around the room finally coming to a rest.

Another one from 1967,,,,

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/pdf_extract/4/5582/784

Killing of an attacking pit bull dog, using a nail gun.

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=68664

NONE of those involve AIR nailers.
They are ALL gunpowder actuated devices, which are essentially handguns
with nails.

We are talking about AIR nailers. Apple to orange.

After reading your last reply to me in which you call me a ******
buffoonish, and then reading your sig file... well, let's just say, I'm
tripping over the blatant irony.

I'll catch my own mistake on the pitbull killing.
Air gun, yes. Fired across the room, no.

Still bull****.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

I would have to invite you up, sign the papers, and stand 100 metres away
and let me fire a few nails at you. They are too small to see in the air and
wouldn't cause any damage to the flesh, being so small and wouldn't reach
you anyway.

After the game and hospital visit, we can have a beer together, if you can
still hold liquids....LOL

Game on?

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 5/25/10 11:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Still bull****.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/2010 11:35 AM, Josepi wrote:
I guess the jig was up on the old troll and the "posting style" troll will
now start?

You tried this "posting style" troll in other groups and it didn't get yyou
anything but in everybody's bozobin. Welcome to the 90s.

plonk

"J. wrote in message
Perhaps if you fixed your quoting so that one could tell what part of
the message was your statement and what part was quoted?

On 5/25/2010 10:46 AM, Josepi wrote:
I didn't refer to any particular incident. Perhaps you were so excited to
prove something wrong you just responded to anybody.

"J. wrote in message
The old "bury 'em in bull****" ploy. 238,000 hits on google indicates
something very infrequent--"moon landing" gets more than 2 million and
that has happened only six times in all of history.

Take out the references to scenes in movies, one incident in which
someone was shot in the head 34 times with one, and "CSI: Miami" and
that 238,000 goes to 54,000.

But it was your assertion that a specific incident occurred and now you
can't show any evidence that it did.

It took me less than a minute to find
http://preview.tinyurl.com/24gzfsl, which seems to be the incident you
have in mind. The device was a Ramset intended for sinking nails in
concrete, which uses gunpowder, and which shot the nail completely
through a 2x4. A framing nailer that shot nails completely through
studs wouldn't be very useful now, would it?

zzzzzzzzzz wrote in message
If the guy, from a few weeks ago, can paint with a nail gun, they must be
dangerous projectiles. Video doesn't lie. You saw it! ;-)

BTW, I think the case in question was a Hilti. ...a little different
beast
than a pneumatic nailer.

On Mon, 24 May 2010 23:07:24 -0500, wrote:
There's probably a reason you can't find it.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/10 12:50 PM, Josepi wrote:
I would have to invite you up, sign the papers, and stand 100 metres away
and let me fire a few nails at you. They are too small to see in the air and
wouldn't cause any damage to the flesh, being so small and wouldn't reach
you anyway.

I would do that, without eye protection. Not only would your aiming
skills have to be better than an marine sniper, but the nail would never
reach me.

In any case and whatever the outcome of this hypothetical experiment, or
this little internet debate... I would always welcome a pint in person.
Cheers! :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

The .22 calibre short charge Hilti gun example is moot. Many air rifles
have higher muzzle velocities than powder charged firearms. Many air rifles
have been used in the miltary due to more power and other reasons.

Time to do your research, again, or the first time.

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 5/24/10 11:29 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

BTW, I think the case in question was a Hilti. ...a little different
beast
than a pneumatic nailer.

If you're talking about the ones that use .22 caliber shells, then yeah,
basically a hand gun. Apple to orange.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Sound like it would be the first air nailer you will have seen.

Go for it. Tell us what angle, gauge and brand of nails it says on your nail
boxes.

BYW: I will win the bet I can get a mouthpiece to shoot himself in the
face....LOL

On 5/25/10 9:52 AM, Josepi wrote:
I don't know what nailguns these nay sayers have been told about but it
starts to become clear, with all the statements, they aren't dealing with
any air powered nailgun I have ever seen and probably not one they have
ever
seen either....LOL I doubt any have attended formal framing school lessons
with those attitudes.

The whole discussion starts to wreak of trollish, actually. These guys
have
a reputation in other groups for being bored. Next will come the history
digging OCD demonstration.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/10 1:03 PM, Josepi wrote:
The .22 calibre short charge Hilti gun example is moot. Many air rifles
have higher muzzle velocities than powder charged firearms. Many air rifles
have been used in the miltary due to more power and other reasons.

Time to do your research, again, or the first time.

When they start using military air rifles to pound nails on the job
site, then you can start lecturing me on research.

Keep digging that hole.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

I bet your mom could lick my dad with both his hands tied behind his back.

One way to avoid losing face is to change the subject and be insulting.

Do your research and stop playing know-it-all. Many have tried to tell you
the toy nailguns you played with are not a problem.

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Start to lose an argument, insult the other guy.
I bet your dad can beat up my dad, too.

Maybe re-read my posts.... slowly.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/10 1:09 PM, Josepi wrote:
I bet your mom could lick my dad with both his hands tied behind his back.

One way to avoid losing face is to change the subject and be insulting.

You're right, so maybe tell that to that other guy who's doing it.

Do your research and stop playing know-it-all.

I'm not the guy claiming his air nail gun can shoot a half mile.

Many have tried to tell you
the toy nailguns you played with are not a problem.

Many? I count you and the other guy who started throwing the ad hominems.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/10 1:13 PM, Josepi wrote:
Here, I'll make it less embarrassing for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun

Wow. I can't tell if you're kidding or not.

Let's talk about embarrassing.... show me ONE nail gun on that wiki page.

Shall we go back and re-read the entire thread?
The debate is and was always about framing pneumatic nail guns.

YOU are the one who claimed that framing pneumatic nail guns are
misfiring all over job sites, causing all kinds of injuring.
YOU are the one who claimed that framing pneumatic nail gun fired some
ten feet away and dented a steel toed boot.
YOU are the one who claimed that framing pneumatic nail gun can shoot
500 meters.

YOU are the one who keeps trying to change the object of discussion to
completely different devices. What's next, are you going to show me an
air powered cannon?

YOU... I repeat... YOU are the only one who should be worried about
embarrassment, my friend.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , -MIKE- wrote:

YOU are the one who claimed that framing pneumatic nail gun can shoot
500 meters.

You forgot to mention that he also claims he can see the nail at that
distance. snort

YOU... I repeat... YOU are the only one who should be worried about
embarrassment, my friend.

Indeed.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/10 2:29 PM, Josepi wrote:
Works every time!

What grade are you in? :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/10 2:32 PM, Josepi wrote:
Pot, kettle, black.

Show me where I threw an ad hominem, before you and your country mate did.

In any case, it's obvious you're sneaking out the back door of this
debate.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/2010 2:07 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/25/10 1:03 PM, Josepi wrote:
The .22 calibre short charge Hilti gun example is moot. Many air rifles
have higher muzzle velocities than powder charged firearms. Many air
rifles
have been used in the miltary due to more power and other reasons.

Time to do your research, again, or the first time.

When they start using military air rifles to pound nails on the job
site, then you can start lecturing me on research.

Keep digging that hole.

For a while in the 1700s and 1800s pneumatic weapons were tried by
various militaries and found to have some advantage over muzzle-loading
black powder firearms..

It's true that there is some overlap at the very low end of the
performance spectrum for firearms and the very high end for airguns,
however I know of no military that would go to war armed with CB caps.
And a nailgun with its hundred PSI or so and few inches of stroke is not
going to come anywhere near the velocity of a precharged pneumatic air
rifle with its 3000 PSI reservior and 20 or so inch barrel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Some, here, report the usage of stainess steel screws not working well.
Apparently it sounds like they are too brittle and break frequently with
battery drills.

I have not experienced them. YMMV

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Get a quality corded drill, maybe a Milwaulkee. You'll get more power
and control. Save the cordless for weenie projects. Take a look at
stainless square-hole screws--they cost more but will outlast the
others

On Sun, 23 May 2010 03:26:39 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a
bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a
deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw
one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening,
or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-26, Josepi J.R.M wrote:
Some, here, report the usage of stainess steel screws not working well.
Apparently it sounds like they are too brittle and break frequently with
battery drills.

That doesn't sound right. SS is much more ductile than carbon steel.
Must be cheap low grade SS.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-26, Josepi J.R.M wrote:
Some, here, report the usage of stainess steel screws not working well.
Apparently it sounds like they are too brittle and break frequently with
battery drills.

That doesn't sound right. SS is much more ductile than carbon steel.
Must be cheap low grade SS.

The only problems I've had with SS is the heads stripping easily. An impact
driver should fix that problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-23, Doug wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

Air drills do not have the torque. (in my experience).

I do have some compressed air screwdrivers, however. (all name brands,
used)

If it was up to me, I would use a decent variable speed electric
drill, but I would love to sell you a pneumatic screwdriver (straight
or gun shaped).

My 18v DeWalt drove all the Torx head screws in my Trex deck. Works
fine. Unfortunately I am going to have to do it again as the Trex is
decomposing. They replaced all the Trex in my buddies deck, but do not
supply the screws. And I had about $230 in stainless deck screws in my
deck.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/23/2010 9:03 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2010 18:28:16 -0500, Ignoramus32683

On 2010-05-23, wrote:
Just curious, why can't you build a deck with a battery powered drill? I
twisted lag bolts in two with my Dewalt 18V XRP but I can't remember if
it
was with the drill or the impact (the impact is bad about breaking screws
if
you don't stop on time!).

Roger, my answer to you (and others) was that batteries do not last
when the job is to just drive a screw after screw.

Apparently, others' experience may be different, and, if so, I will
retract my comment about cordless drills.

OK, that makes sense, maybe that's why I bought 2 drills, 6 batteries and 4
chargers. :-) Too bad my energy level doesn't keep up!

Actually I saw DeWalt had a lot of cordless tools available for their 18V
XPR and I bought various sets to have all my cordless tools battery and
charger compatible, the 2nd xrp drill came in a kit with 2 batteries, a
charger, and an impact driver.

Dewalt 18XRP is the drill that I have, I love it and use it a lot. I
have two batteries for it, but for continuous use I get out my electric
drill.

I have two 18V XRP drills, one a "compact" model (which isn't compact). I
found one for less than $100 (less than the price of two batteries) on the
get-it-outta-here table at HomeDespot. I also have the 6-1/2" circular saw,
so six batteries. I don't use the drills often, though. I would much rather
use the 12V Bosch and the Impactor. I'd break them out if I built a deck,
though. ;-)

And the DeWalt battery skilsaw is fantastic when doing the deck. At
least on Trex. No cord to pull around when you need a little trimming.
I used the gear drive Skilsaw for major cutting, but if you needed to
square an end, reach for the battery saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Tradesman Saves Women from Attacking Pit Bull With Nail Gun

A tradesman has killed a pit bull which was savaging two women aged 17
and 43 by shooting it in the head with a nail gun. He and his partner
intervened when the women called for help. When they got there the dog
had torn half the calf off one victim.

His parter hit the dog with a piece of wood until it let go and the
victim was pulled to safety. When the dog refused to be subdued it was
shot. The tradesman says he regrets having to shoot someone's pet but
thinks he made the right call.

"My partner and another woman pinned it up against a brick wall and it
was still trying to eat anything... It wasn't premeditated - it had
finished having a go at her and it was trying to bite everyone... Some
family members thanked us," he said.

Which brand was it?

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 May 2010 13:07:15 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/25/10 1:03 PM, Josepi wrote:
The .22 calibre short charge Hilti gun example is moot. Many air rifles
have higher muzzle velocities than powder charged firearms. Many air rifles
have been used in the miltary due to more power and other reasons.

Time to do your research, again, or the first time.

When they start using military air rifles to pound nails on the job
site, then you can start lecturing me on research.

Keep digging that hole.

Yawn.

plink

Time for you to go away.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

We have a few hundred square feet of deck to do and always figured we would
go the Trex route.

Lately I have been reading a lot of bad stuff about these brands with
molding and rot. Apparently the answer is to use a mold prevention wash a
few times a year on the maintenance free surface....LOL

"Califbill" wrote in message My 18v DeWalt drove
all the Torx head screws in my Trex deck. Works
fine. Unfortunately I am going to have to do it again as the Trex is
decomposing. They replaced all the Trex in my buddies deck, but do not
supply the screws. And I had about $230 in stainless deck screws in my
deck.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

id *wrote in message
news:gp6dnc2JMOlaF2TWnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 2010-05-23, *wrote:
[...]

Yeah, the 18V Dewalt circular saw is really handy. Unlike the Makita
9.6V it's useful on far more than clapboards. For heavier work I have
the Dewalt rear swivel circular saw. The rear swivel makes depth and
angle adjustment a snap.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 5/25/10 1:03 PM, Josepi wrote:
The .22 calibre short charge Hilti gun example is moot. Many air rifles
have higher muzzle velocities than powder charged firearms. Many air rifles
have been used in the miltary due to more power and other reasons.

Time to do your research, again, or the first time.

When they start using military air rifles to pound nails on the job
site, then you can start lecturing me on research.

Keep digging that hole.

Yawn.

plink

Time for you to go away.

Gunner

I'll ask what grade you're in, again.
What a completely transparent and juvenile response.
Losing the argument? Pretend you're tired of it all and walk away.
Maybe you can stick your fingers in your ears and start singing, too.

Go away, indeed.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Keep reading, I said I caught that.
Did they shoot the dog from 3 meters? Well?

Oh, that's right... you "plink'd" me so you won't read this. Uh-huh,
sure you won't.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

This is when that signature paragraph of yours really demos

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

response to troll snipped

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/10 10:55 AM, Josepi wrote:
This is when that signature paragraph of yours really demos

"Gunner wrote in message

response to troll snipped

Gunner

Trying to take over the asylum, are you? :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , "Josepi" X-Complaints-to:
. wrote:

The three I own shoot nails farther than the eye can see in the sky.

That statement is plausible; your guesstimate of the distance at which you
can
see them, however, is certainly not.

One can
only track them, depending on the sky and background, about three to four
farmers fields and then they disappear, being too small for the human eye at
about 500 metres. Yes, that is over 1/4 mile.

If you think that you can see an object 3mm x 10cm at a range of 500 meters,
then you're full of ... well, you're deceiving yourself. How do you measure
the distance, anyway?

The theoretical limit of human visual acuity is 0.4 minutes of angle. It's
completely impossible that you can see something only 3mm thick at *one*
hundred meters (0.1 minutes), let alone *five* hundred (0.02 minutes).

Well, I've never used a nailgun of any kind, but I can tell you about 22 caliber
rifles.

When I was a teenager firing a 22 long rifle bullet over a lake, I could easily
see the bullet in flight for most of its trajectory. Now this required the
sightline to be close and parallel to the trajectory (so the image didn't move
too fast to be seen) and a distant background (so there wasn't too much visual
clutter). And young eyes, of course.

One could not resolve the bullet - it was seen as a fast-moving and indistinct
black spot.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

When your eye is lined up with the trajectory a small object can be tracked
for a long distance. The actual full trajectory path is not required to be
seen for an intelligent person to know where it will go or land. Now that is
a long bullet which uses a lot more powder than a short Hilti gun cap

It's just a trolling argument anyway. Most that have used an air nailer
could think this simple logic out after using one for a few days. If it
wasn't for the poor accuracy a nailgun would work much better than any
pellet gun I have ever seen...yeah you can see pellets for a few hundred
feet too and they are even smaller. We never tried to aim a nailgun, in the
air. We were just worried about farm house windows within the nearest mile
after seeing it the first time...LOL

As an aside: We used to stand behind a corner of a brick wall (too elininate
accidental shootings) and somebody would shot a .22 calibre rifle within
inches past our ears! What a sound !...LOL

Here's one the gun backfired
http://www.breakmobile.com/index/act...dent68394.html

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message news:joegwinn-Well,
I've never used a nailgun of any kind, but I can tell you about 22 caliber
rifles.

When I was a teenager firing a 22 long rifle bullet over a lake, I could
easily
see the bullet in flight for most of its trajectory. Now this required the
sightline to be close and parallel to the trajectory (so the image didn't
move
too fast to be seen) and a distant background (so there wasn't too much
visual
clutter). And young eyes, of course.

One could not resolve the bullet - it was seen as a fast-moving and
indistinct
black spot.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Wondered about the wood components in it. I have some Veranda on my
weather station. Hope it stands up to weather.

Seems to be a lot of plastic in it. Saw had long stringers on it.

They might have cut back on plastic from R&D to save money and now find
the facts.

Thanks Guys - great info.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 5/26/2010 7:00 AM, Josepi wrote:
We have a few hundred square feet of deck to do and always figured we would
go the Trex route.

Lately I have been reading a lot of bad stuff about these brands with
molding and rot. Apparently the answer is to use a mold prevention wash a
few times a year on the maintenance free surface....LOL

wrote in message My 18v DeWalt drove
all the Torx head screws in my Trex deck. Works
fine. Unfortunately I am going to have to do it again as the Trex is
decomposing. They replaced all the Trex in my buddies deck, but do not
supply the screws. And I had about $230 in stainless deck screws in my
deck.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Joseph Gwinn wrote:

. wrote:

[...]

For part of the trajectory, sure -- a .22 bullet should be visible out to
about 55 yards. But not all of it, unless that trajectory was fairly short,
and Josepi's claim to be able to see a 3mm thick nail at 500 meters is at best
wishful thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_..._visual_acuity

Regardless of how young your eyes are, there's still a lower limit to their
resolving power: the size of a single cone in the retina, which corresponds to
about 0.4 minutes of arc. That means it's simply impossible to see, for
example, a .22 bullet at 200 yards, or a nail at 500 meters.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/10 7:20 PM, Josepi wrote:
When your eye is lined up with the trajectory a small object can be tracked
for a long distance. The actual full trajectory path is not required to be
seen for an intelligent person to know where it will go or land. Now that is
a long bullet which uses a lot more powder than a short Hilti gun cap

It's just a trolling argument anyway. Most that have used an air nailer
could think this simple logic out after using one for a few days. If it
wasn't for the poor accuracy a nailgun would work much better than any
pellet gun I have ever seen...yeah you can see pellets for a few hundred
feet too and they are even smaller.

Someone else in this thread tried to explain to you (not that you would
listen) that a nail gun is in the neighborhood of 100psi and a pellet
gun runs well past 10 times that.

They also tried to explain about how the barrel allows allow the
expanding gas to accelerate the projectile, and the piston of a nail gun
has a limited travel and allows no acceleration.

Even if you were to fire a 12-16 penny nail out of a pellet gun, it
would probably only travel 1/3 the distance of a pellet due to its
tumbling through the air causing rapid deceleration from the friction
against the air.

Yet, you continue to elude to them as valid comparisons. Trying to
support your mythical claim of an air nailer shooting a nail 1/4 mile by
using facts associated with pneumatic pellet guns is embarrassingly absurd.

That's like claiming your lawn mower can run the quarter mile in four
seconds
because a Porche, which also has an internal combustion engine, can do it.

We never tried to aim a nailgun, in the
air. We were just worried about farm house windows within the nearest mile
after seeing it the first time...LOL

No need to worry.

Here's one the gun backfired
http://www.breakmobile.com/index/act...dent68394.html

It doesn't matter how many google searches you do looking for evidence
to support fish tail, you're not going to find it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

compressed-air drills Wes[_5_] Metalworking 0 May 23rd 10 07:17 AM
PEX and compressed air zxcvbob Home Repair 48 June 19th 09 05:26 AM
Compressed Air Bill Woodworking 37 January 28th 09 12:48 AM
Dry compressed air Dick Woodturning 9 July 11th 05 09:07 PM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM