Dick

Default Dry compressed air

I have a compressed air setup for sanding and texturing tools.

The air lines have been carefully installed with fall in the right
directions and water traps. But I continue to get water condensing in
the short working hoses between the wall socket and tool.

Our average humidity is about 75% and it climbs above 90% at times - a
lot of moisture in the air.

I need to find something to take more moisture out of the lines. Can
anyone provide helpful, proven, options?

Dick

Dan Bollinger

I have a compressed air setup for sanding and texturing tools.

The air lines have been carefully installed with fall in the right
directions and water traps. But I continue to get water condensing in
the short working hoses between the wall socket and tool.

Our average humidity is about 75% and it climbs above 90% at times - a
lot of moisture in the air.

I need to find something to take more moisture out of the lines. Can
anyone provide helpful, proven, options?

The quick and easy way is to use a moisture filter as far downstream as you
can get it. Hook your tool's whip hose into the trap. That will give the air
a chance to cool and water to condense.

See Graingers:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/sea...atindx2=&xi=xi

Dan

Dick

Thanks. I have an in-line filter that looks just like the Grainger
products. Their web site does not list the filter capabilities. Mine
is 7 micron and clearly does not remove water vapour.

Dick

J. Clarke

Dick wrote:

Thanks. I have an in-line filter that looks just like the Grainger
products. Their web site does not list the filter capabilities. Mine
is 7 micron and clearly does not remove water vapour.

Try a "ball" or dessicant filter at the gun. One source is
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/AirFilters10.htm. You can find
them at Sears as well.

Dick

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Dan Bollinger

Try a "ball" or dessicant filter at the gun. One source is
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/AirFilters10.htm. You can

find
them at Sears as well.

Dick

Dick, if the moisture separators aren't working for you, then do as John
says, install a dessicator. Some are rechargeable and some are replaceable.

Also, add a drip leg with valve at your current filter/separator if you
don't have one now.

Also, there are mist filters. You'd have to check on their micron size as
well.

william_b_noble

more details of your setup = copmpressor size, type (brand?), does it have
an intercooler, tank size, pipe diameter and length, etc - I think you are
not getting the air cool enough to have the moisture condense in the tank or
in the pipe, hence it condenses in the hose - the right fix is to get the
air cooler - add a radiator (the oil cooler from an old automatic trans is
often a good choice if you have a smaller compressor) or snake about 30 feet
of copper tubing (1/2 inch) along the wall or in a pond or something - you
need to get the heat out of the compressed air so the moisture can condense.

"Dick" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a compressed air setup for sanding and texturing tools.

The air lines have been carefully installed with fall in the right
directions and water traps. But I continue to get water condensing in
the short working hoses between the wall socket and tool.

Our average humidity is about 75% and it climbs above 90% at times - a
lot of moisture in the air.

I need to find something to take more moisture out of the lines. Can
anyone provide helpful, proven, options?

Dick

Dick

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. All were helpful and continue
to be worked on.

Installing a dessicator is probably the ultimate but the cost puts it
out of my reach.

I already had plenty of slope and drip legs in the line - but these can
be improved.

Losing the heat from the line is dead right. My fish pond is too far
from the shed. I need to investigate further the efficiency of a
radiator as it may need a fan to pass air over it.

It turns out that the filters previously supplied by the compressed air
people to remove water were never designed for that purpose, but they
do remove some water. I now have a filter that is designed
specifically to remove water and boasts a 95% removal rate.

I turn on.

Phants

"Dick" wrote in message
I have a compressed air setup for sanding and texturing tools.

The air lines have been carefully installed with fall in the right
directions and water traps. But I continue to get water condensing in
the short working hoses between the wall socket and tool.

Our average humidity is about 75% and it climbs above 90% at times - a
lot of moisture in the air.

I need to find something to take more moisture out of the lines. Can
anyone provide helpful, proven, options?

Dick

Keep as much moisture out of the air on both the inward and the output
side of the compressor. After experimenting with many ideas, one of the
best turned out to be easy and cheap.

The commercial divers I worked with use a 4 to 6 inch diameter pipe that
is 6 to 9 inch long threaded on both ends. a Pipe cap is screwed onto
each end and the desired air fittings are drilled and tapped into each
pipe cap.

The inside is loosely filled with Kotex...! Each Kotex is already
wrapped with fine porous material but it is advisable to put wire
support screen inside of each end cap to keep the outlet free...

It works...! and the cap can be easily unscrewed to replace the Kotex
with new ...

Sympatico News

Its best to dry the air as far up stream as possible. That way most of your
system is dealing with dry air and not just the last leg. You can get water
separators that attach to the hose outlet but I personally think getting it
dry as near to the compressor outlet as possible is "best".

Put the cooler as close to the compressor outlet as possible followed by the
water separators. Drain frequently. If you are inside and can run a
dehumidifier that can also make a big difference if your conditions are
within the specs for the de-humidifier.

J. Clarke

Sympatico News wrote:

Its best to dry the air as far up stream as possible. That way most of
your system is dealing with dry air and not just the last leg. You can get
water separators that attach to the hose outlet but I personally think
getting it dry as near to the compressor outlet as possible is "best".

Put the cooler as close to the compressor outlet as possible followed by
the water separators. Drain frequently. If you are inside and can run a
dehumidifier that can also make a big difference if your conditions are
within the specs for the de-humidifier.

Defense in depth is the safest bet. Dry it near the compressor, dry it some
more downstream, and dry it again at the gun.