Joe AutoDrill

Default Compressed air heater

Hmm... Cooling of a piece of work you are drilling or machining in bizarro
world? grin

Seriously though, what temperature (range?) does it produce?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

"Ignoramus13229" wrote in message
I bought two military compressed air heaters, and am now doubting
whether I should sell both, or sell one and keep another. What that
thing does is connects to air line and blows hot air out of its
heated nozzle. Size of two shoeboxes.

Kind of cool, but I am not sure what I can do with it that is useful
and practical. Still, it is a small nifty thing and I know from my
experience that I regretted getting rid of things like that in the
past.

Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a
thing?

Pat Ford

"Ignoramus13229" wrote in message
I bought two military compressed air heaters, and am now doubting
whether I should sell both, or sell one and keep another. What that
thing does is connects to air line and blows hot air out of its
heated nozzle. Size of two shoeboxes.

Kind of cool, but I am not sure what I can do with it that is useful
and practical. Still, it is a small nifty thing and I know from my
experience that I regretted getting rid of things like that in the
past.

Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a
thing?

Pastics welding of forming?
Pat

Wild Bill

From various pictures that I've seen of these units, I'd think they could be
handy to have around.. somewhat like a flameless torch. You didn't say
whether you have the handpieces (handheld part).
I've noticed that some were used with nitrogen instead of air, although I
don't know what specific purpose they were used for.

I suppose they would be great for setting shrink tubing and working
different types of plastics.
Plastic welding units have a low air output, more like a whisper of air, not
a harsh stream like a blowgun for cleaning.
The heat range might be suitable for no-contact desoldering of small to
medium sized connections, or possibly larger junctions. I don't think these
units would be suitable for a heavy duty application like plumbing
connections.

Hot air can also be used for curing certain mixtures. Also handy for
releasing some types of adhesives.

WB

"Ignoramus13229" wrote in message
I bought two military compressed air heaters, and am now doubting
whether I should sell both, or sell one and keep another. What that
thing does is connects to air line and blows hot air out of its
heated nozzle. Size of two shoeboxes.

Kind of cool, but I am not sure what I can do with it that is useful
and practical. Still, it is a small nifty thing and I know from my
experience that I regretted getting rid of things like that in the
past.

Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a
thing?

yourname

Are you sure it isn't meant ot re expand refrigerated dryed air?
that's the only use I had heard of

On 2005-01-10, Wild Bill wrote:

From various pictures that I've seen of these units, I'd think they could be
handy to have around.. somewhat like a flameless torch. You didn't say
whether you have the handpieces (handheld part).

Yes, I do have handpieces.

I've noticed that some were used with nitrogen instead of air,
although I don't know what specific purpose they were used for.

Maybe nitrogen would be useful because it doesnot start a fire as
easily, as opposed to hot compressed air. Just a thought.

I suppose they would be great for setting shrink tubing and working
different types of plastics.
Plastic welding units have a low air output, more like a whisper of air, not
a harsh stream like a blowgun for cleaning.

My unit can be adjusted.

The heat range might be suitable for no-contact desoldering of small to
medium sized connections, or possibly larger junctions. I don't think these
units would be suitable for a heavy duty application like plumbing
connections.

Hot air can also be used for curing certain mixtures. Also handy for
releasing some types of adhesives.

Thanks! As one poster noted, blowing hot air can be useful for
newsgroup participation!

WB

"Ignoramus13229" wrote in message

I bought two military compressed air heaters, and am now doubting
whether I should sell both, or sell one and keep another. What that
thing does is connects to air line and blows hot air out of its
heated nozzle. Size of two shoeboxes.

Kind of cool, but I am not sure what I can do with it that is useful
and practical. Still, it is a small nifty thing and I know from my
experience that I regretted getting rid of things like that in the
past.

Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a
thing?

Joe AutoDrill

Seriously though, what temperature (range?) does it produce?

I am not sure about the temp range, but by feel I would say 200-300F.

If it gets hotter than that, maybe try running something flamable through it
to see if you can make a home-made, controllable blow torch / flame shooter?

Sorry... Just finished my time with a bunch of teenagers at a local group.
As a volunteer leader, I'm required to think like them and although it's
easy for me, I can't quite shake the thinking for a few days once I do it.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

axolotl

Ignoramus13229 wrote:

Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a
thing?

Smaller versions are used on the flight line to shrink tubing. The tool
has no parts hot enough to ignite fuel.

Kevin Gallimore
Shawn

"Ignoramus13229" wrote in message
I bought two military compressed air heaters, and am now doubting
whether I should sell both, or sell one and keep another. What that
thing does is connects to air line and blows hot air out of its
heated nozzle. Size of two shoeboxes.

Kind of cool, but I am not sure what I can do with it that is useful
and practical. Still, it is a small nifty thing and I know from my
experience that I regretted getting rid of things like that in the
past.

Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a
thing?

Good for drying out tanks, if you have a need for that. When steam
condensers are offline for an extended period, a device similar to this is
used to dry the condenser out and prevent corrosion.

Shawn

william_b_noble

also, drying out things with solvent or water in them, and shrinking heat
shrink tubing

Pastics welding of forming?
Pat

Sounds like a great idea, I will give it a shot!

Cj Wilson

"Ignoramus13229" wrote in message
I bought two military compressed air heaters, and am now doubting
whether I should sell both, or sell one and keep another. What that
thing does is connects to air line and blows hot air out of its
heated nozzle. Size of two shoeboxes.

Kind of cool, but I am not sure what I can do with it that is useful
and practical. Still, it is a small nifty thing and I know from my
experience that I regretted getting rid of things like that in the
past.

Any thoughts? What would be the practical applications of such a
thing?

I have a similar devise. (it is in storage at the moment though)
I bought it from OTC ,if I remember correctly.
It is about the size of a small cordless screwdriver.
I was intended to be used for working on carburetors and thermo circuits on
automobiles. Checking the chokes etc.... Blew hot on one end and very Cool
on the other.
Very neato idea, that's for sure. No idea how it works ???

Cj

Mark Rand

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:43:48 GMT, "Cj Wilson" wrote:

[...]

It'll be a Hilsch Vortex tube.

One explanation is he-
http://www.artxltd.com/vortex/principle.shtml

Mark Rand
RTFM
Cj Wilson

wrote:

[...]

Yeah , That's it. That company makes a much nicer one than mine. Thanks for
finding the 'How it works' page.
A real slick idea ,for when it was first thought out !

Cj

granpaw

"Steve W." wrote in :

Plastic welder?

I have, somewhere the drawings of an item like discribed here.
It was used in the military for the heating (or cooling) of a thermal suit.
Of course it was hooked to compressed air lines, so maybe it wasn't like
the one discribed here.
my .02
granpaw

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
Poor hot water heater performance dperez@juno_nospam.com Home Ownership 3 October 24th 03 03:21 PM