DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   compressed-air drills (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/303501-compressed-air-drills.html)

Doug Miller May 23rd 10 04:26 AM

compressed-air drills

SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

Ignoramus16466 May 23rd 10 04:35 AM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

Air drills do not have the torque. (in my experience).

I do have some compressed air screwdrivers, however. (all name brands,
used)

If it was up to me, I would use a decent variable speed electric
drill, but I would love to sell you a pneumatic screwdriver (straight
or gun shaped).

Lew Hodgett[_6_] May 23rd 10 04:36 AM

compressed-air drills

"Doug Miller" wrote:

Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

That's one of the reasons pressure regulators exist.

Buy the time you buy a regulator, lubricator, filter package, 100 ft
of 1/2" hose and quick connect couplings, the cost of a couple of
batteries starts looking pretty good.

Lew

RonB[_2_] May 23rd 10 04:37 AM

compressed-air drills

On May 22, 10:26*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

I just finished building a deck this weekend. My cordless batteries
did poop out, without available charge, a couple of times but no big
deal. However, during those periods I had to dig out my old faithful
Bosch corded drill. It did fine but awfully torquey and I had to be
careful not to bury the screws. The biggest problem was dragging that
^%&%# cord around. The cordless tools have spoiled me and dragging an
air hose around is worse. As I was completing the project, I jumped
on Amazon and ordered a couple more cordless batteries. In my
opinion, updating your cordless capability is a better solution.

BTW, I have a couple of air powered drills and both have fairly good
speed control but no clutch. They too have a lot of torque with the
trigger at full speed. Also keep in mind your compressor capacity.
Once I got underway installing screws, I had the drills running quite
a bit.

RonB

Matt May 23rd 10 04:40 AM

compressed-air drills

Given that most Auto shops use air tools, and they have torque settings on
the air wrenches, I would say that it is common, and you should look for
that feature on when looking for tools. I am sure if you checked their web
site out you would get the details on the specific tools get your answers
first hand.

Snag[_3_] May 23rd 10 05:04 AM

compressed-air drills

Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project
requires a new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is
showing its age a bit, or to be more precise, the batteries are
showing their age -- building a deck, I'll definitely drain the
batteries in much less time than it takes to recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills
(e.g. saw one at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to
wondering... almost every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch
to prevent overtightening, or sinking screws too deep. Does anybody
make an air drill with such a clutch?

Go to HF and buy two of the 18v battery drills . Batteries cost almost as
much as the drill so ... that'll give you more battery capacity , might be
able to eke thru with those and what you already have .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Pete C. May 23rd 10 05:05 AM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

Well, you can, but a battery powered impact driver works a lot better.

Doug Miller May 23rd 10 05:19 AM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

It's a small deck, only about 140 square feet.

Air drills do not have the torque. (in my experience).

Thanks, that's useful to know.

I do have some compressed air screwdrivers, however. (all name brands,
used)

If it was up to me, I would use a decent variable speed electric
drill, but I would love to sell you a pneumatic screwdriver (straight
or gun shaped).

Yeah, that's Plan B -- I have a good one already (Makita 1/2" VSR corded), but
it doesn't have a clutch...

[email protected] May 23rd 10 05:20 AM

compressed-air drills

On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:35:34 -0500, Ignoramus16466

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

Why? I've done it (well, I used a hammer too). A decent cordless drill will
easily sink any screw you're likely to use in a deck. An Impactor will do it
without stripping the heads. ;-) An extra set of batteries makes things
easier, but I did it with two sets of two, with my older 9.6V Makita as the
drill and a 14.4V PC to sink the screws.

Doug Miller May 23rd 10 05:20 AM

compressed-air drills

In article , "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote:

Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

That's one of the reasons pressure regulators exist.

Buy the time you buy a regulator, lubricator, filter package, 100 ft
of 1/2" hose and quick connect couplings, the cost of a couple of
batteries starts looking pretty good.

Have all of that already...

Artemus[_4_] May 23rd 10 05:33 AM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

The 700 sq-ft deck that I couldn't build with a cordless drill* is still looking
just fine after 9 years now.
Art
* 14.4V PC

woodstuff May 23rd 10 06:06 AM

compressed-air drills

Here is the perfect tool for what you are doing. I have used these for 22
years in
carpentry and cabinetmaking:
http://www.cpopowertools.com/products/dw268.html?ref=googaw&kw={keyword}&gcl
id=COC8reW856ECFWI65wodJ0XQIw&keyword=dewaltdw268& sissr=1

woodstuff

Bill Noble[_2_] May 23rd 10 06:50 AM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

1. - nonsense RE torque of pneumatic drills - there are more than one type,
some are geared, some are not - the high speed ones don't have a lot of
torque (and at 30,000 RPM, aren't too good as screwdrivers either), but the
ones that are suitably geared down have plenty of torque for drilling in any
wood I've encountered..

2. with a simple T, you can have a pneumatic drill and a pneumatic
screwdriver

3. pneumatic tools don't get hot when they run, that's a real plus if you
are using them a lot

[email protected] May 23rd 10 07:14 AM

compressed-air drills

On May 22, 9:26*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a clutch?

For that you'd need a pneumatic screw driver, not a drill. Used in
production, mostly. Probably not going to find one on the peg at HF.
I have seen hex chucks with clutches for driving screws using a drill,
might be one of those would do you. One of my favorite pneumatic
drills would probably work pretty well with such a rig, it's a right
angle jobbie and a whole lot smaller than any battery drill. Geared
down, so should have enough torque. If you go that route, get one of
the throttle swivels, good as a variable speed trigger. One of my
favorite tools for working around gas tanks, no sparks.

Stan

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 23rd 10 07:56 AM

compressed-air drills

wrote:

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

I agree on all of Iggys points about tools, though some of the newest
cordless drills come pretty close to being suitable.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Steve Lusardi May 23rd 10 08:35 AM

compressed-air drills

Iggy,
I have at least 8 maybe more air drills and at least that many air screw drivers. Most I have bought surplus from Reliable tools
on eBay. It is very necessary to use the air drill that is correct for the job. There are vast speed differences between them,
some of which have wrist breaking torque. The biggest risk is to use a drill that is too fast for the job and burning up the bit.
In wood, this is not a concern. I really like the air drivers much better than electric.
Steve

Josepi[_5_] May 23rd 10 11:36 AM

compressed-air drills

I have built many decks with battery operated drills. Two units comes in
handy with several fast charge batteries for each.

Oh yeah! Those were the drills with the old ni-cad batteries that were 9V
units then.

Torque clutches do **NOT*** set screw depth. Torque sets the torque. When
you hit hard wood spots you will be adjusting the torque setting. When you
hit soft wood spots you will over sink them.
Just get used to the sound of the right screw depth or use a dimpler
attachment.

Josepi[_5_] May 23rd 10 11:46 AM

compressed-air drills

Air pressure regulation will still give you high speed but low torque
capabilities. This will tend to make deck screwing uncontrollable and you
will need to follow up the heads with a battry drill afterwards (tripping on
a few) to set the head depths.

Jim Wilkins May 23rd 10 12:38 PM

compressed-air drills

On May 22, 11:35*pm, Ignoramus16466 ignoramus16...@NOSPAM.
16466.invalid wrote:
You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

I built these with an old 9.6V Makita:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/F...88504883032706

It will barely drive a #10 x 3" screw without predrilling, but it
drills up to 3/8" holes in dry oak nicely, for the lag screws or
Timberlocks. I needed a corded Milwaukee only for the 1/2" lags that
fasten the cross beams onto the oak log posts.

Last year I helped a contractor with a volunteer deck project. He used
an 18V DeWalt to drive the Timberlocks.

jsw

RogerN May 23rd 10 12:40 PM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Just curious, why can't you build a deck with a battery powered drill? I
twisted lag bolts in two with my Dewalt 18V XRP but I can't remember if it
was with the drill or the impact (the impact is bad about breaking screws if
you don't stop on time!).

RogerN

Stormin Mormon May 23rd 10 01:00 PM

compressed-air drills

Ideally, with cordless. You can have two chargers, and two batteries
on charge, while you are using the third. It does take a couple
seconds to change batteries, but two on charge (at the edge of the
deck) helps out.

I remember from some where, that some deck screws have a narrow neck
below the heads, and tend to break off easily.

Compressed air drill is worse option than corded drill. The air hose
is more clumsy than a power cord, and the compressor is noisy.
Changing energy from electric, to air, to motion, is more lost power.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Larry W May 23rd 10 01:26 PM

compressed-air drills

If you're going to be driving several hundered or a thousand deck screws,
IMHO a goo quality corded screwgun would be the tool of choice.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

WW[_2_] May 23rd 10 03:12 PM

compressed-air drills

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project
requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a
bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a
deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw
one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent
overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a
clutch?

I used 2 Makita battery drills. One 9.6 volt and one 12 volt. Used one for
pilot holes and other to set screws. 700 square foot deck with railings and
is 12 feet above ground. 3500 deck screws. 2 batteries for each drill. This
was done 10 years ago. Did not know about stainless deck screws at that time
( or if they were available) Going to replace all now with SS screws as the
origanal ones have rusted. Composite deck material. Will cost about $300 for
screws. WW

Jim Wilkins May 23rd 10 05:19 PM

compressed-air drills

On May 23, 10:12*am, "WW" wrote:
I used 2 Makita battery drills. One 9.6 volt and one 12 volt. Used one for
pilot holes and other to set screws. 700 square foot deck with railings and
is 12 feet above ground. 3500 deck screws. 2 batteries for each drill. This
was done 10 years ago. Did not know about stainless deck screws at that time
( or if they were available) Going to replace all now with SS screws as the
origanal ones have rusted. Composite deck material. Will cost about $300 for
screws. WW

I was given a dead 12V Makita to fix, and agree that the two make a
decent combination like that.

So far the ceramic-coated deck screws that I've removed after a year
or two in pressure-treated wood have been in good condition. Friday I
pulled out some electro-galvanized screws and lags that had been in
dry, untreated wood for about 10 years, outdoors protected from rain.
Most were rusty but not enough to weaken them.

The stainless deck screws I bought a few years ago stripped or broke
more easily than regular steel screws.

jsw

-MIKE- May 23rd 10 05:52 PM

compressed-air drills

On 5/23/10 11:44 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In articleSt6dnZ31HNkbP2XWnZ2dnUVZ_tidnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

I'll have to be careful stepping out the garden door onto my 16 x 12
cedar deck that doesn't exist, then.

What utter nonsense...

Yeah, I think someone hasn't kept up with technology. :-)

I have cheap (what I consider to be disposable) B&D 18volters that would
do the job just fine. Like another guys posted, all you need is 3
batteries per drill, which is the minimum for me, anyway.

I never go to a site without a corded electric, as a back-up, but that
cord is a PITA. And whoever wants to trade an AC cord for an air hose is
adding bricks to their cart, imo.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Josepi[_5_] May 23rd 10 06:24 PM

compressed-air drills

Do you think the batteries will be good enough when you resurrect those old
drills to get those screws out again?

LOL
. ..

Leon[_6_] May 23rd 10 06:33 PM

compressed-air drills

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
SWMBO wants me to build a small deck. Of course, every new project
requires a
new tool, right? And my trusty Bosch cordless drill is showing its age a
bit,
or to be more precise, the batteries are showing their age -- building a
deck,
I'll definitely drain the batteries in much less time than it takes to
recharge them.

So I'm looking at other options, including compressed air drills (e.g. saw
one
at the Borg this evening for $45 or so). But I got to wondering... almost
every cordless drill has a multi-position clutch to prevent
overtightening, or
sinking screws too deep. Does anybody make an air drill with such a
clutch?

Most all the air drills I have seen tend to be high RPM drills and are quite
loud. IIRC they use quite a bit of air also. You may be waiting as much
for the compressor to recharge as you would for the batteries to recharge.

I would go for a cordless impact driver, faster and more torque than a
cordless drill.

Cheaper still, a corded variable speed drill, they don't give up and have
the required torque. A clutched variety would be ideal IMHO.

RonB[_2_] May 23rd 10 07:52 PM

compressed-air drills

Well, you can, but a battery powered impact driver works a lot better.

Good point I missed in my previous post because I was using a drill
and driver for the the deck I just finished. You have to be careful
not to bury the screw, but my impact driver is actually easier to
control than either my corded or battery drill motors, and is less
likely to twist your wrist as you get fatigued. It runs quite a while
on a charge too. All of my cordless are 14.4V Makita's

BTW, and MOST IMPORTANT - an impact driver does qualify as a NEW TOOL.

Basic criteria of your OP

RonB

[email protected] May 23rd 10 09:02 PM

compressed-air drills

On Sun, 23 May 2010 10:47:22 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Gunner Asch
wrote:

I agree on all of Iggys points about tools, though some of the newest
cordless drills come pretty close to being suitable.

I drove over 2000 screws with a cheap off-brand cordless 14.4 v drill
when I built my deck.

I drove 700 or so in the deck then another 2000 in the floor of my house, with
my 14.4V PC. I did have one of the packs rebuilt ($35) after the 2000.

[email protected] May 23rd 10 09:03 PM

compressed-air drills

wrote:

You cannot build a deck with a battery powered drill.

I'll have to be careful stepping out the garden door onto my 16 x 12
cedar deck that doesn't exist, then.

What utter nonsense...

Yeah, I think someone hasn't kept up with technology. :-)

For 15 years?

I have cheap (what I consider to be disposable) B&D 18volters that would
do the job just fine. Like another guys posted, all you need is 3
batteries per drill, which is the minimum for me, anyway.

I never go to a site without a corded electric, as a back-up, but that
cord is a PITA. And whoever wants to trade an AC cord for an air hose is
adding bricks to their cart, imo.

Dragging an air hose beats swinging a hammer, though.

Ignoramus32683 May 23rd 10 09:06 PM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, RogerN wrote:
Just curious, why can't you build a deck with a battery powered drill? I
twisted lag bolts in two with my Dewalt 18V XRP but I can't remember if it
was with the drill or the impact (the impact is bad about breaking screws if
you don't stop on time!).

Roger, my answer to you (and others) was that batteries do not last
when the job is to just drive a screw after screw.

Apparently, others' experience may be different, and, if so, I will
retract my comment about cordless drills.

-MIKE- May 23rd 10 09:53 PM

compressed-air drills

On 5/23/10 3:03 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
adding bricks to their cart, imo.

Dragging an air hose beats swinging a hammer, though.

Who swings a hammer? :-)
A gas framing nailer is faster, lighter, and more convenient than any of
those.

FWIW, last deck I did, I was much faster laying down the decking with my
22 oz Estwing and galvanized spirals than with a drill and screws.

I can definitely see where I could be faster with one of those screw
self-feeders with the long extension and the depth stop driver. But I'm
one of those "one tap to set, 2-3 swings to drive it home" hammer guys,
so I can get a pretty fast rhythm going.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- May 23rd 10 09:57 PM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, wrote:
Just curious, why can't you build a deck with a battery powered drill? I
twisted lag bolts in two with my Dewalt 18V XRP but I can't remember if it
was with the drill or the impact (the impact is bad about breaking screws if
you don't stop on time!).

Roger, my answer to you (and others) was that batteries do not last
when the job is to just drive a screw after screw.

Apparently, others' experience may be different, and, if so, I will
retract my comment about cordless drills.

The newer ones last pretty long.
I'm guessing cheap my 18v Ni-Cad B&D's last about 3X as long as my old
12v Dewalts did. The new Lithium Ions probably double that.

But like we've been saying, three batteries and a quick-charger makes it
a moot point.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

J. Clarke May 23rd 10 10:00 PM

compressed-air drills

On 5/23/2010 1:24 PM, Josepi wrote:
Do you think the batteries will be good enough when you resurrect those old
drills to get those screws out again?

If they aren't I'm sure that Makita will be happy to sell him a
replacement set, or he can get the old ones rebuilt.

LOL
. ..

RogerN May 23rd 10 11:17 PM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, RogerN wrote:
Just curious, why can't you build a deck with a battery powered drill? I
twisted lag bolts in two with my Dewalt 18V XRP but I can't remember if
it
was with the drill or the impact (the impact is bad about breaking screws
if
you don't stop on time!).

Roger, my answer to you (and others) was that batteries do not last
when the job is to just drive a screw after screw.

Apparently, others' experience may be different, and, if so, I will
retract my comment about cordless drills.

OK, that makes sense, maybe that's why I bought 2 drills, 6 batteries and 4
chargers. :-) Too bad my energy level doesn't keep up!

Actually I saw DeWalt had a lot of cordless tools available for their 18V
XPR and I bought various sets to have all my cordless tools battery and
charger compatible, the 2nd xrp drill came in a kit with 2 batteries, a
charger, and an impact driver.

RogerN

[email protected] May 23rd 10 11:20 PM

compressed-air drills

On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:53:03 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 5/23/10 3:03 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
adding bricks to their cart, imo.

Dragging an air hose beats swinging a hammer, though.

Who swings a hammer? :-)
A gas framing nailer is faster, lighter, and more convenient than any of
those.

Never used one. I generally don't move much once set up, so there isn't much
dragging anyway. The big advantage of an air nailer for me is no smiles in
awkward-to-nail places. My thumbs feel better after, too. ;-)

FWIW, last deck I did, I was much faster laying down the decking with my
22 oz Estwing and galvanized spirals than with a drill and screws.

Sure, but I've seen even ring-shank nails pop. Stainless screws are the only
way to fly.

I can definitely see where I could be faster with one of those screw
self-feeders with the long extension and the depth stop driver. But I'm
one of those "one tap to set, 2-3 swings to drive it home" hammer guys,
so I can get a pretty fast rhythm going.

Saving time isn't high on my list. ;-) Saving aggravation later, is.

[email protected] May 23rd 10 11:22 PM

compressed-air drills

On Sun, 23 May 2010 17:00:47 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On 5/23/2010 1:24 PM, Josepi wrote:
Do you think the batteries will be good enough when you resurrect those old
drills to get those screws out again?

If they aren't I'm sure that Makita will be happy to sell him a
replacement set, or he can get the old ones rebuilt.

Driver bits are pretty standard these days. A new drill will usually work,
too. ;-)

Spehro Pefhany May 23rd 10 11:31 PM

compressed-air drills

On 2010-05-23, wrote:
Just curious, why can't you build a deck with a battery powered drill? I
twisted lag bolts in two with my Dewalt 18V XRP but I can't remember if it
was with the drill or the impact (the impact is bad about breaking screws if
you don't stop on time!).

Roger, my answer to you (and others) was that batteries do not last
when the job is to just drive a screw after screw.

Apparently, others' experience may be different, and, if so, I will
retract my comment about cordless drills.

The newer ones last pretty long.
I'm guessing cheap my 18v Ni-Cad B&D's last about 3X as long as my old
12v Dewalts did. The new Lithium Ions probably double that.

But like we've been saying, three batteries and a quick-charger makes it
a moot point.

If you are not in good physical shape, two batteries might be more
than enough. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Josepi[_5_] May 24th 10 12:06 AM

compressed-air drills

My response to that is in many cases the batteries last longer than the
human.

For indoor flooring double-upping a screw gun made for the job while
standing up is in order. I have done rooms with battery drills and it's
rough on the back, knees and wrists. Due the the inaccuracy of screw
placement the above device is typically not usable.

Use the excuse to get a second battery drill, use both (four batteries) and
wear the old one out. It may be good for the old ni-cad to get a good
cycling too.

Josepi[_5_] May 24th 10 12:09 AM

compressed-air drills

Most pro framers, I have seen do not use compressed air, they swing a
hammer. Try carrying a nailgun up into a framed roof rafter assembly while
hanging on to the last truss member you hammered in to get at the next
piece. A hammer and puch full of nails makes an easier climb and the nials
are removable for a few eeks until they rust or set into the wood.