Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Counter top

"basilisk" wrote

There is no way to know if the pork you buy in the store came from
a large commercial producer or not, a farmer can show up at the packing
house with one hog that was raised in bad conditions and they will take it
no questions ask as long as it is on its feet.

That may happen in a small independent store, but it is not going to happen
in chain store. No way they would take the risk buying a single hog from a
stranger. Commercial hogs are raised in factory conditions. A fellow I know
has been doing some work for a hog butchering place in Iowa. They slaughter
18,000 hogs every 12 hour day. Then they spend six or more hours with a 200
man crew cleaning and sanitizing. Those hogs never saw a real farm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 May 2010 10:20:02 -0500, "basilisk"
wrote the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
You sound as if you trust the commercial producers more than real
farmers.

Nope, didn't mean it that way, I've seen plenty of bad from
commercial farms and individual farmers alike.

Your more likely to have parasites in a backyard mud pen
than in a commercial operation, but I'm going to cook
it and it will taste better than commercial pork, so not
a problem.

I wouldn't want anyone to think that their food supply is
clean, controlled and inspected in any meaningful way,
it isn't. With that said, it doesn't seem to kill all that many
people, or not quickly anyway.

Amazing, isn't it? The human body is quite strong and resilient.

I personally don't eat a lot of commercially produced food,
(guessing less than 30%)
and almost no commercially produced meat,
what I don't raise is sourced locally from others that do.

Good move!

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 May 2010 21:47:31 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote the following:

In article , Ed
Pawlowski wrote:

Commercial hogs are raised in factory conditions.

With SERIOUS biohazard security measures. Hog barns are a LOT cleaner
and safer than hospitals.

Oh?

http://www.firehouse.com/topics/top-...-minn-hog-barn
or http://fwd4.me/Mps

http://erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/conte...ract/31/6/1249

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up
to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
--Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques:

You guys all realize that every health org says that you cannot thaw
meats at room temps, don't you?

Interesting article.
http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Thaw-counter.html

I allow anything that will be cooked in a short time (steaks, fish,
chicken breasts) to come to room temperature before cooking otherwise you
can end up with a center that is cooked less than you intended.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 May 2010 21:23:37 GMT, Mac Cool wrote the
following:

Larry Jaques:

You guys all realize that every health org says that you cannot thaw
meats at room temps, don't you?

Interesting article.
http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Thaw-counter.html

I allow anything that will be cooked in a short time (steaks, fish,
chicken breasts) to come to room temperature before cooking otherwise you
can end up with a center that is cooked less than you intended.

Very interesting. I'll still thaw underwater, though. It's the
quickest and easiest, and it still feels like the safest.

--
Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change.
-- Andre Gide

UP/DOWN Counter Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 13 February 19th 09 09:57 AM
Under counter sink not flush in granite counter [email protected] Home Repair 8 May 30th 08 05:28 PM
How to cut a laminate counter top? MSilver Woodworking 7 March 14th 07 04:16 PM
EZ New counter top Switch Home Repair 1 February 8th 06 02:04 AM
Counter top height? Don Wiss Home Repair 9 October 11th 05 09:40 PM