Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default UP/DOWN Counter

Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

Thanks!

No real use, just need it as a behavioral counter for simulations ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

I've used that chip or one of it's cousins, but that was a long
time ago.

I don't think you can get a simple TC out for the middle of the
chip. If you are just counting up, you can brew your own with
a 3 input AND gate using the TC in and the bottom two bits of
the top chip. Mumble, I'm not sure of the polarity on the TC.
It might take some inverters.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
bw bw is offline

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

Check MC14158 or possibly 74LS491
Might be time to get a PIC

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:48:31 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

Thanks!

No real use, just need it as a behavioral counter for simulations ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Try a 74190 or 74192 or 74196 decade counter

(I assume you mean a count of 10, since all of these are 4 bit
counters.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

Thanks!

No real use, just need it as a behavioral counter for simulations ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Try a 74190 or 74192 or 74196 decade counter

(I assume you mean a count of 10, since all of these are 4 bit
counters.)

No. 10-BITs

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

Thanks!

No real use, just need it as a behavioral counter for simulations ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---
_
If U/D is low (you're counting up) you could decode 0x0cff and use the
decode to broadside load zeros into the counters.
_ __
Conversely, if U/D is high (counting down), you could use RC to load
0x0cff into the counters.

JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" schreef in
bericht ...
Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

Thanks!

No real use, just need it as a behavioral counter for simulations ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

As these are 4-bit counters you will need three of them. Each has its own TC
so to get a TC for the whole counter, you need to *AND* the TCs. To limit
the counter to 10 bits, you'll have to make your own TC for the two least
significant bits of the most significant chip.

|\ __
U/D-------+---| O---| |
| |/ | |
Q0----+--|----------|& |o---+
| | | | |
Q1--+-|--|----------|__| |
| | | +-| |
| | | +-|__| |
| | | __ | |
| | +----------| | | |
| | |\ | | | |
| +------| O---|& |o---+ |
| |\ |/ | | | __
+---| O--------|__| +-| |
|/ | |
TC1------------------------------------|& |--- TC10BIT
| |
TC0------------------------------------|__|
created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta www.tech-chat.de

petrus bitbyter

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:59:12 +0100, "petrus bitbyter"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" schreef in
bericht ...
Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

Thanks!

No real use, just need it as a behavioral counter for simulations ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

As these are 4-bit counters you will need three of them. Each has its own TC
so to get a TC for the whole counter, you need to *AND* the TCs. To limit
the counter to 10 bits, you'll have to make your own TC for the two least
significant bits of the most significant chip.

|\ __
U/D-------+---| O---| |
| |/ | |
Q0----+--|----------|& |o---+
| | | | |
Q1--+-|--|----------|__| |
| | | +-| |
| | | +-|__| |
| | | __ | |
| | +----------| | | |
| | |\ | | | |
| +------| O---|& |o---+ |
| |\ |/ | | | __
+---| O--------|__| +-| |
|/ | |
TC1------------------------------------|& |--- TC10BIT
| |
TC0------------------------------------|__|
created by Andy? ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta www.tech-chat.de

petrus bitbyter

Done! As usual the Analog Guy wings it successfully ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default UP/DOWN Counter - UD-CTR-10BIT-74HC191.pdf

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:03:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:59:12 +0100, "petrus bitbyter"
wrote:

[snip]

As these are 4-bit counters you will need three of them. Each has its own TC
so to get a TC for the whole counter, you need to *AND* the TCs. To limit
the counter to 10 bits, you'll have to make your own TC for the two least
significant bits of the most significant chip.

|\ __
U/D-------+---| O---| |
| |/ | |
Q0----+--|----------|& |o---+
| | | | |
Q1--+-|--|----------|__| |
| | | +-| |
| | | +-|__| |
| | | __ | |
| | +----------| | | |
| | |\ | | | |
| +------| O---|& |o---+ |
| |\ |/ | | | __
+---| O--------|__| +-| |
|/ | |
TC1------------------------------------|& |--- TC10BIT
| |
TC0------------------------------------|__|
created by Andy? ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta www.tech-chat.de

petrus bitbyter

Done! As usual the Analog Guy wings it successfully ;-)

...Jim Thompson

See attachment

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Attached Files
File Type: pdf UD-CTR-10BIT-74HC191.pdf (73.6 KB, 80 views)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

Thanks!

No real use, just need it as a behavioral counter for simulations ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Try a 74190 or 74192 or 74196 decade counter

(I assume you mean a count of 10, since all of these are 4 bit
counters.)

No. 10-BITs

...Jim Thompson

Sorry - I missed the "three stages" when I saw your message in ABSE,
and realized my error when I saw it again in SED.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On 2009-02-15, bw wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

can't you just ignore the two high bits ? or do the top two bits some
other way?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On 2009-02-15, bw wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

can't you just ignore the two high bits ? or do the top two bits some
other way?

I need to simulate what another designer will ultimately do at
device-level. Counter must not over-run, top or bottom. (It's a
tracking ADC.)

I have it cobbled together and running with existing digital
(behavioral) parts in PSpice; so I can test my analog portions
quickly.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

I need to simulate what another designer will ultimately do at
device-level. Counter must not over-run, top or bottom. (It's a
tracking ADC.)

Is there an analog way to stabilize the outputs?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On 2009-02-15, bw wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone used a 74HC191 UP/DOWN Counter, 3-stages?

Is there a way I can limit Terminal Count to 10-Bit?

can't you just ignore the two high bits ? or do the top two bits some
other way?

I need to simulate what another designer will ultimately do at
device-level. Counter must not over-run, top or bottom. (It's a
tracking ADC.)

I have it cobbled together and running with existing digital
(behavioral) parts in PSpice; so I can test my analog portions
quickly.

ah, I suppose you've already thought of this:

TC0 ---------------------------+- ___
TC1 ---------------------------|&)-- CE0
.---+-
bit8 --+------+- |
bit9 +-|------|&)---. |
| | .-o-+- | |
_ | | | `--+ |
U/D -|-|-+----+ )1-'
| `------)1o-----+
`--------+

TC0 and TC1 are TC from the low order chips ___
bit8,9 are D0 & D1 fron the high chip, and CE0
is clock enable on the low chip.

or could you just clock it 4 times faster and ignore the low bits?___
then you'd just need to and the three TCs together and feed it to CE0

Under counter sink not flush in granite counter [email protected] Home Repair 8 May 30th 08 05:28 PM
Screwfix Counter Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 2 March 5th 08 09:25 AM
Solid Counter top for the DIY Willi Woodworking 82 November 22nd 06 12:09 AM
EZ New counter top Switch Home Repair 1 February 8th 06 02:04 AM
Counter Top Materials ? Robert11 Home Repair 11 February 8th 05 04:20 AM