Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Adjustable Height Workbench

HI, I am new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. My name is
Charlie and I live in Minnesota. A few years ago I got a backache
because my workbench was too low for the work I was doing. If I
raised it up any higher it would be too high for other things and it
would interfere with passing wood across my table saw. I decided I
wanted an adjustable height workbench.

I was not able to find anything that met my criteria, so I designed my
own adjustable height workbench. I also incorporated a mobile base
into the design.

I built it thinking that I was building my "dream bench", and I was!
After the designing and building process I wanted to show it off, so I
entered it in a local woodworking exhibition. People liked it so much
that I decided to offer plans for it on line. Those plans are now
available. You can learn more about my adjusable height workbench
design at my website: www.jack-bench.com

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Charlie
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jack-bench.com" wrote
HI, I am new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. My name is
Charlie and I live in Minnesota. A few years ago I got a backache
because my workbench was too low for the work I was doing.

snip
I built it thinking that I was building my "dream bench", and I was!
After the designing and building process I wanted to show it off, so I
entered it in a local woodworking exhibition. People liked it so much
that I decided to offer plans for it on line. Those plans are now
available.

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

I took a look and I'll tell you what I think. I think you came here to make
money off of us. Your story may be true about the low bench, but your
reason for being here is not to help us but to help yourself. This is a
non-commercial newsgroup and advertising is not permitted. Sorry, but your
story is advertising no matter how much you try to disguise it.

Before you call me an a--hole, you won't be the first today and I'm one of
the easy going guys here so get ready for more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default FS: Adjustable Height Workbench

On 3/28/2010 12:57 PM, jack-bench.com wrote:

I built it thinking that I was building my "dream bench", and I was!
After the designing and building process I wanted to show it off, so I
entered it in a local woodworking exhibition. People liked it so much
that I decided to offer plans for it on line. Those plans are now
available. You can learn more about my adjusable height workbench
design at my website: www.jack-bench.com

It's an interesting bench - and the US$29.95 plan price seems within
reason, but I wasn't able to find the price of the manufactured bench on
your web site and found that off-putting.

It's the convention here to add the FS tag to the subject when you're
posting something for sale.

Otherwise, it's generally acceptable to include a reference to a product
web page (which needn't necessarily be woodworking related) in your sig
(see below) for regular woodworking posts.

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

It looks decent and might be especially useful for handicapped
woodworkers...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message
[...]

That's a really nice idea. I think I'll make one myself. Doesn't look too
complicated.
Thanks.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

It looks decent and might be especially useful for handicapped
woodworkers...

That may be a market worth pursueing. Why don't you make a couple benches
and put them out there in places where they would be really used and
appreciated? A little hands on experience by a target audience would be very
good in terms of getting the word out there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2010 4:15 PM, Upscale wrote:

I immediately considered that, but it would need some modification in
my opinion. Someone sitting down or wheelchair bound needs knee space
to go under the bench so they can get close as they can to their work.
Possibly this bench could be modified for that purpose, but wouldn't
likely be suitable as is.

That makes sense - is it enough to just get knees under the bench or
would it be better to be able to also get the chair arms under the benc?
Would there be any advantage to making a cutout in the front of a bench
to make more of the work surface reachable?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:22:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
Before you call me an a--hole, you won't be the first today and I'm one of
the easy going guys here so get ready for more.

Tough day Ed? Relax, go grab a beer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jack-bench.com" wrote:

HI, I am new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. My name
is
Charlie and I live in Minnesota.

snip

Charlie, spare me the crap.

A hustle is a hustle.

I have no problem with a straight up sales pitch if you identify it as
such going in, but save me from the nonsense of trying to come in thru
the back door.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2010 5:59 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Charlie, spare me the crap.

A hustle is a hustle.

Dayum, Lew ... another shining example of liberal kindness,
consideration, and regard for all mankind, eh?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi, Charlie.

The bench looks very interesting, but you're coming into the group in
the wrong way... Your first post really shouldn't be a sales pitch.

I hope you stick around and become part of the community we have here.

as a lurker who reads nearly daily but posts very infrequently, I agree, the
first post should have been a political rant, then you would fit right in.
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:25:14 -0500, Morris Dovey
wrote:

That makes sense - is it enough to just get knees under the bench or
would it be better to be able to also get the chair arms under the benc?
Would there be any advantage to making a cutout in the front of a bench
to make more of the work surface reachable?

Knees, armrests, whatever part of the wheelchair that protrudes would
need some kind of access space to get close. Many wheelchairs have
arms that are height adjustable, swing away or are removable, so some
type of special cut is not strictly necessary, but situations vary.
Ideally, if one can get their chest or stomach up against the edge of
a bench, than that's the usual acceptable limitation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:22:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
Before you call me an a--hole, you won't be the first today and I'm one of
the easy going guys here so get ready for more.

Tough day Ed? Relax, go grab a beer.

If we don't stop the advertising it won't be long before the weekly specials
at K-Mart and the latest weight loss system are posted on a regular basis.
USENET was founded on the idea of non-commercial sharing of information.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message

Snip

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Charlie

Here is what I think Charlie, cool idea but not for a wood working work
bench. I want storage under my bench, LOTS of storage, not wasted space.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
On 3/28/2010 12:57 PM, jack-bench.com wrote:

I built it thinking that I was building my "dream bench", and I was!
After the designing and building process I wanted to show it off, so I
entered it in a local woodworking exhibition. People liked it so much
that I decided to offer plans for it on line. Those plans are now
available. You can learn more about my adjusable height workbench
design at my website: www.jack-bench.com

It's an interesting bench - and the US$29.95 plan price seems within
reason, but I wasn't able to find the price of the manufactured bench on
your web site and found that off-putting.

I am kinda wondering also why you have to pay more for the second and third
set of plans.... If I were to build 2 or more benches I think I would reuse
the original set of plans.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message

Snip

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Charlie

Here is what I think Charlie, cool idea but not for a wood working work
bench. I want storage under my bench, LOTS of storage, not wasted space.

Not to worry.

Rumor has it that Festool is coming out with a new systainer under bench
storage unit. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" writes:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
On 3/28/2010 12:57 PM, jack-bench.com wrote:

I built it thinking that I was building my "dream bench", and I was!
After the designing and building process I wanted to show it off, so I
entered it in a local woodworking exhibition. People liked it so much
that I decided to offer plans for it on line. Those plans are now
available. You can learn more about my adjusable height workbench
design at my website: www.jack-bench.com

It's an interesting bench - and the US$29.95 plan price seems within
reason, but I wasn't able to find the price of the manufactured bench on
your web site and found that off-putting.

I am kinda wondering also why you have to pay more for the second and third
set of plans.... If I were to build 2 or more benches I think I would reuse
the original set of plans.

It's a "stupid" tax.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message
I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Of course you knew that before you posted. The ole "Easier to ask for
forgiveness than ask for permission...", huh. I started to jump as soon as
you posted it, but rescinded thinking that at least it was a workbench (and
not, say, a tupperware set). Somehow your apology worsens the offense for
me. Lets change the subject. What type of woodworking do you do?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message
I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Of course you knew that before you posted. The ole "Easier to ask for
forgiveness than ask for permission...", huh. I started to jump as soon
as you posted it, but rescinded thinking that at least it was a workbench
(and not, say, a tupperware set). Somehow your apology worsens the
offense for me.

What was offensive? He shared a WOODWORKING workbench he'd built and offered
to sell plans.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message
I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Of course you knew that before you posted. The ole "Easier to ask for
forgiveness than ask for permission...", huh. I started to jump as soon
as you posted it, but rescinded thinking that at least it was a workbench
(and not, say, a tupperware set). Somehow your apology worsens the
offense for me.

What was offensive? He shared a WOODWORKING workbench he'd built and
offered to sell plans.

Prepared to sell dozens + Pretty fancy web-site = ABUSE!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message
I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Of course you knew that before you posted. The ole "Easier to ask for
forgiveness than ask for permission...", huh. I started to jump as soon
as you posted it, but rescinded thinking that at least it was a
workbench (and not, say, a tupperware set). Somehow your apology
worsens the offense for me.

What was offensive? He shared a WOODWORKING workbench he'd built and
offered to sell plans.

Prepared to sell dozens + Pretty fancy web-site = ABUSE!

Well...., I don't have a website at all, fancy or otherwise.

That must make me one of the good guys.

Thank you Bill........., I think...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message
I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Of course you knew that before you posted. The ole "Easier to ask for
forgiveness than ask for permission...", huh. I started to jump as soon
as you posted it, but rescinded thinking that at least it was a
workbench (and not, say, a tupperware set). Somehow your apology
worsens the offense for me.

What was offensive? He shared a WOODWORKING workbench he'd built and
offered to sell plans.

Prepared to sell dozens + Pretty fancy web-site = ABUSE!

"Fancy" web site? Anybody can do that with freely available software. Looked
clean and simple.
As to "prepared to sell dozens", would it have been better if he'd said some
thing like "I'll sell a copy of the plans to the first five who respond"?
When you have a set of plans, you can sell one copy or a million.

He wasn't flogging watches or shoes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Prepared to sell dozens + Pretty fancy web-site = ABUSE!

Well...., I don't have a website at all, fancy or otherwise.

That must make me one of the good guys.

Thank you Bill........., I think...

So far as I know Lee, you are one of the good guys.
Ask your wife, if applicable, to be sure. ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message
I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Of course you knew that before you posted. The ole "Easier to ask for
forgiveness than ask for permission...", huh. I started to jump as
soon as you posted it, but rescinded thinking that at least it was a
workbench (and not, say, a tupperware set). Somehow your apology
worsens the offense for me.

What was offensive? He shared a WOODWORKING workbench he'd built and
offered to sell plans.

Prepared to sell dozens + Pretty fancy web-site = ABUSE!

Well...., I don't have a website at all, fancy or otherwise.

That must make me one of the good guys.

Thank you Bill........., I think...

There's always seems to be at least 1 reader ready to let off a little
steam, huh? : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Charlie,

Thanks for posting this. I may be one of the few who actually spent some
time Reading your web site. I discovered that the you gave All the
information needed for a reasonably competent woodworker to reproduce your
work. If the plans are as good as the thought you put into the design of the
bench and the videos on the web site, I'm sure they would make the job
easier. I don't need a workbench at this time, but I may have an application
for an adjustable height "table" and I'm sure going to go with the ideas and
inspiration you have share. If things don't go quite as expected, I may even
buy the plans. )

Hope some others will go back and check the site.

LD

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2010 10:20 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote in message
I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Of course you knew that before you posted. The ole "Easier to ask for
forgiveness than ask for permission...", huh. I started to jump as soon as
you posted it, but rescinded thinking that at least it was a workbench (and
not, say, a tupperware set). Somehow your apology worsens the offense for
me. Lets change the subject. What type of woodworking do you do?

Bull**** ... out of all the recent posters you've received more willing
help around here than most have in months of participation.

How about getting your panties out of a wad and gracefully give some of
it back.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Of course you knew that before you posted. The ole "Easier to ask for
forgiveness than ask for permission...", huh. I started to jump as
soon as
you posted it, but rescinded thinking that at least it was a workbench
(and
not, say, a tupperware set). Somehow your apology worsens the offense
for
me. Lets change the subject. What type of woodworking do you do?

Bull**** ... out of all the recent posters you've received more willing
help around here than most have in months of participation.

How about getting your panties out of a wad and gracefully give some of
it back.

Hey, Sorry. If you want to support commerce here, then that what we
should do. BTW, I'm grateful as hell for the help I've received here!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I'm sorry too ... damned hard to believe the undeserved measure of
**** this guy is getting considering all the "commerce", subtle and not
so subtle, that has gone on here in the past ten years ... shhheeeesh!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Yeah, I'm sorry too ... damned hard to believe the undeserved measure of
**** this guy is getting considering all the "commerce", subtle and not so
subtle, that has gone on here in the past ten years ... shhheeeesh!!

Careful there Swingman. As per Bill's criteria, you can hardly be
considered an objective source.

Cuz you got a "fancy website"!

You *******. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2010 12:01 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

Yeah, I'm sorry too ... damned hard to believe the undeserved measure of
**** this guy is getting considering all the "commerce", subtle and not so
subtle, that has gone on here in the past ten years ... shhheeeesh!!

Careful there Swingman. As per Bill's criteria, you can hardly be
considered an objective source.

Cuz you got a "fancy website"!

You *******. LOL

Man, that thing is so dated even my 34 year old daughter giggles she
browses it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2010 2:42 PM, Upscale wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:35:25 -0500, wrote:

Man, that thing is so dated even my 34 year old daughter giggles she
browses it.

Hell, I like looking through it. I get lots of ideas from some of your
projects.

Thanks, once again, for the kind words. I've got a bunch of stuff to add
to it, but it keeps getting pushed to the back burner since I feel the
need to update it, but haven't taken the time.

I was toying with the idea of a wordpress or squarespace blog, but
getting over the hump of redoing everything is daunting as more time passes.

Maybe one of these days when I get the freedom to act more my age ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Man, that thing is so dated even my 34 year old daughter giggles she
browses it.

Not a woodworker, eh?

I like it. Lots of information and a very clear style of presentation. It is
easy to follow along with the progress of various projects. A lot of wisdom
and experience on those pages. And presented in a manner that mere mortals
can understand.

It has a refreshing LACK of artsy fartsy graphics. It doesn't look like some
long sales pictch. Yeah, it may take awhile for the pictures to load up. But
there is an abundance of said pictures which are included to clearly
illustrate the process.

In a world of hype, bull**** and mega google influences, it is a nice
throwback to simpler times when men were men and the cyber world was where
information was freely exchanged. I learned more about chair building from
your chair project than I had in looking at woodworking info for forty
years.

You could probably update it a bit, but who cares? Anybody who is
interested in the information present will greatly appreciate the fact that
it is there. It exists in an increasingly commercial world. Just like old
iron, it has an intrinsic value on its own. And it was around long before
blogging became a fad!

I was raised with the credo that a man makes his agreements valid with a
firm handshake (no fist bumps). I have that feeling about you. You are an
authentic human being who does good work and shares that work with us. You
don't have to. But you do. And I, for one, really do appreciate it. I said
it before Karl, and I will say it again. You are one of the good guys.

Notwithstanding of your lovely daughter's lack of appreciation for "old
iron". ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2010 2:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I like it. Lots of information and a very clear style of presentation.

snip of blush stuff

Gosh, Lee ... that was very nice of you. I'm so red reading that that
even I can see it.

Thank you for the kind words!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/30/2010 2:42 PM, Upscale wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:35:25 -0500, wrote:

Man, that thing is so dated even my 34 year old daughter giggles she
browses it.

Hell, I like looking through it. I get lots of ideas from some of your
projects.

Thanks, once again, for the kind words. I've got a bunch of stuff to add
to it, but it keeps getting pushed to the back burner since I feel the
need to update it, but haven't taken the time.

I was toying with the idea of a wordpress or squarespace blog, but getting
over the hump of redoing everything is daunting as more time passes.

Maybe one of these days when I get the freedom to act more my age ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I had visited your website before but just now I spent a little time looking
things over.
Many thanks.

Max ( I just hate when someone makes me feel inferior. {:-) )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I have that feeling about you (Swingman). You are an
authentic human being who does good work and shares that work with us. You
don't have to. But you do. And I, for one, really do appreciate it.

Me too! : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:33:47 -0400, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message

Snip

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Charlie

Here is what I think Charlie, cool idea but not for a wood working work
bench. I want storage under my bench, LOTS of storage, not wasted space.

Not to worry.

Rumor has it that Festool is coming out with a new systainer under bench
storage unit. ;-)

Is that the one with N-space storage in it? Cool!

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:06:06 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Thanks, once again, for the kind words. I've got a bunch of stuff to add
to it, but it keeps getting pushed to the back burner since I feel the
need to update it, but haven't taken the time.

I hope you find the time. Your furniture idea transposed into the
garden furniture I built has earned me permanent barbeque rights and
that's a nice thing to have considering I live in an apartment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Mar 2010 00:56:18 GMT, the infamous (Scott
Lurndal) scrawled the following:

"Leon" writes:

[...]

No, it's probably due to the the templates that are included with each
set of 11x17" plans.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jack-bench.com" wrote in message
On Mar 29, 7:14 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Hi Leon,

You are right. I am hoping to get the word out about my bench
design. And, the way I introduced myself here was obviously not the
way to do it! I would like to extend my apologies for that. I did
remove the original posting as soon as I saw Ed's response, or at
least I tried to remove it. I really should have gotten to know more
about the group before posting anything.

Charlie

Well thanks for responding and please DO stick around. We would certainly
enjoy your input.