Old March 24th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jet Parallel Clamps... NOT Parallel?

Am I wrong or are parallel clamps supposed to be parallel?
On my Jets, the end clamp section tilts in a bit and the adjustable end
tilts in a bit (1/32-1/16"), after tightening.

Is there an adjustment procedure with these or are parallel clamps just
supposed to be "close to parallel?"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old March 24th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/2010 4:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Am I wrong or are parallel clamps supposed to be parallel?
On my Jets, the end clamp section tilts in a bit and the adjustable end
tilts in a bit (1/32-1/16"), after tightening.

Is there an adjustment procedure with these or are parallel clamps just
supposed to be "close to parallel?"

Considering that a clamp of that type is not machined, nor has the
production engineering methodology for precise tolerances, "close"
probably counts.

My Bessey's are close enough not to worry about, and the results have so
far been perfect enough.

Now, when Festool starts making parallel jaw clamps ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Old March 24th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/24/2010 03:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Am I wrong or are parallel clamps supposed to be parallel?
On my Jets, the end clamp section tilts in a bit and the adjustable end
tilts in a bit (1/32-1/16"), after tightening.

Is there an adjustment procedure with these or are parallel clamps just
supposed to be "close to parallel?"

Ideally they should be parallel. There is no adjustment.

Taunten recently did a review of parallel jaw clamps. Some of them were
noticeably better than others at keeping parallel under load.

Chris
Old March 24th 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Is this with a load or without?

I could suspect that under load they might square up. I could also
suspect that under load they could deflect. So I am covered either way
and should come out looking pretty smart.

On Mar 24, 2:38*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Am I wrong or are parallel clamps supposed to be parallel?
On my Jets, the end clamp section tilts in a bit and the adjustable end
tilts in a bit (1/32-1/16"), after tightening.

Is there an adjustment procedure with these or are parallel clamps just
supposed to be "close to parallel?"

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old March 24th 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Is this with a load or without?

Both.

I could suspect that under load they might square up.

I thought so, too, but they didn't.

I could also
suspect that under load they could deflect.
So I am covered either way
and should come out looking pretty smart.

Funny.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old March 25th 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:49:21 -0500, Swingman wrote:

My Bessey's are close enough not to worry about, and the results have so
far been perfect enough.

Think I remember reading that the jaw faces aren't completely parallel
until they're clamped down at which point they do align forming a
perfectly square clamping surface.
Old March 25th 10, 01:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Am I wrong or are parallel clamps supposed to be parallel?
On my Jets, the end clamp section tilts in a bit and the adjustable end
tilts in a bit (1/32-1/16"), after tightening.

Is there an adjustment procedure with these or are parallel clamps just
supposed to be "close to parallel?"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I have Jet, Bessey, and Cabinet Master parallel clamps. None of them are
parallel at some stage of tightening and or depending on the opening on the
clamps. Simply put, the bar will bend and that prevents the consistant
possibility of a perfectly parallel set of jaw faces. BUT these type clamps
tend to work about as good as you could expect.

Old March 25th 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:49:21 -0500, Swingman wrote:

My Bessey's are close enough not to worry about, and the results have so
far been perfect enough.

Think I remember reading that the jaw faces aren't completely parallel
until they're clamped down at which point they do align forming a
perfectly square clamping surface.

That is correct however that point is at a specific pressure at any given
opening distance. Change the opening distance or pressure and you are over
or under.

Old March 25th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 25, 7:20*am, "Leon" wrote:

I have Jet, Bessey, and Cabinet Master parallel clamps. *None of them are
parallel at some stage of tightening and or depending on the opening on the
clamps. *Simply put, the bar will bend and that prevents the consistant
possibility of a perfectly parallel set of jaw faces. *

Mine aren't perfect, but they are close enough. I have a million
clamps, and to fight off the fact that they all twist a bit
(Besseys.... not much, though) I use a lot of clamps and a little
pressure.

BUT these type clamps
tend to work about as good as you could expect.

I think so. Most of the time when you see twisting or wracking it can
be minimized by reorienting the victims in the clamps.

However, when teaching others the art of the glue up, almost without
fail the most likely culprit in their glue up failure is placing the
clamps and material on an uneven surface to glue up. And uneven table
top, gluing on saw horses, etc., bring a whole different dimension non
parallel clamps.

When I glue something up in the field that requires this kind of
clamping, I actually level my "table" on the sawhorses by carefully
leveling the material I am using for a top.

This cuts out most of the problems.

Robert
Old March 25th 10, 02:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote

Most of the time when you see twisting or wracking it can
be minimized by reorienting the victims in the clamps.

However, when teaching others the art of the glue up, almost without
fail the most likely culprit in their glue up failure is placing the
clamps and material on an uneven surface to glue up. And uneven table
top, gluing on saw horses, etc., bring a whole different dimension non
parallel clamps.

When I glue something up in the field that requires this kind of
clamping, I actually level my "table" on the sawhorses by carefully
leveling the material I am using for a top.

This cuts out most of the problems.

Robert

Bingo. It took me awhile to learn that but once I did it solved a lot of
frustration.
I built an assembly table with legs that could be adjusted to level.

Max