Posted to rec.woodworking

Default folding table instead of leaves

Several years ago I saw a magazine article on making a dining table.
The author suggested that instead of leaves, make the main table fixed
and build a folding table that you add at the end. I recently tried
to track down the article without success.

Does anybody know where this article appeared?

Or any comments on making a wooden folding table?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 18, 2:17*pm, "
wrote:
Several years ago I saw a magazine article on making a dining table.
The author suggested that instead of leaves, make the main table fixed
and build a folding table that you add at the end. *I recently tried
to track down the article without success.

Does anybody know where this article appeared?

Or any comments on making a wooden folding table?

How about a drop leaf table? About the same the same principle that
you are looking for. I have a really old cherry drop leaf that also
has leafs. Goes from 28" long to 8' long with both leafs up and the 2
additional leafs in. But you wouldn't have to build it with the 2
center leafs just the drops.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

Several years ago I saw a magazine article on making a dining table.
The author suggested that instead of leaves, make the main table fixed
and build a folding table that you add at the end. I recently tried
to track down the article without success.

Does anybody know where this article appeared?

I don't think I saw that one. Have you tried the mags, like
Woodsmith?

Or any comments on making a wooden folding table?

Can you say WOW!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlN000oxVkw

Now double that, at least:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr2W4vWhBU
It's the coolest table I've ever seen, bar none.

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 18, 6:30*pm, allen476 wrote:
On Mar 18, 2:17*pm, "
wrote:

Several years ago I saw a magazine article on making a dining table.
The author suggested that instead of leaves, make the main table fixed
and build a folding table that you add at the end. *I recently tried
to track down the article without success.

Does anybody know where this article appeared?

Or any comments on making a wooden folding table?

How about a drop leaf table? About the same the same principle that
you are looking for. I have a really old cherry drop leaf that also
has leafs. Goes from 28" long to 8' long with both leafs up and the 2
additional leafs in. But you wouldn't have to build it with the 2
center leafs just the drops.

Drop leaf means the leafs are at the ends and fold up and down,
right? That makes the ends of the table unusable with the leaves
down...unless the drop leaves are really short so they don't interfere
with the legs of the person at the end.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 1:18*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

Several years ago I saw a magazine article on making a dining table.
The author suggested that instead of leaves, make the main table fixed
and build a folding table that you add at the end. *I recently tried
to track down the article without success.

Does anybody know where this article appeared?

I don't think I saw that one. *Have you tried the mags, like
Woodsmith?

Well, I thought it was in Fine Woodworking, so I searched their index,
but no dice. Tried popular woodworking. Tried EBSCO, a giant
database search my library supplies. Haven't found it anywhere.
Woodsmith doesn't seem to have a searchable index....tried a google
search of woodsmith.com but didn't turn up anything.

Or any comments on making a wooden folding table?

Can you say WOW!?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlN000oxVkw

Now double that, at least:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr2W4vWhBU
It's the coolest table I've ever seen, bar none.

I saw a picture of one sort of like these where the leaves stored in a
pillar at the table center, but it was not as slick as the table in
your second video. I don't think I'll be building one of those,
though....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2010 7:58 AM, wrote:
On Mar 18, 6:30 pm, wrote:
On Mar 18, 2:17 pm, u
wrote:

[...]

My mother had a very pretty drop leaf table in her breakfast nook for a
long time. She found it very inconvenient and finally gave it away.

I've seen one with a take-apart hinge on the drop leaves similar to
http://www.hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=314

There's a design called a "draw-leaf table" in which the leaves pull
out. She had one of those in her kitchen--it worked fine. Here's a
discussion with some pictures of the mechanism
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24617. I believe that
there's discussion of it in "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" but I'm too
lazy to dig out my copy and check for sure. Grizzly has plans for one
for 5 bucks http://grizzly.com/outlet/Draw-Leaf-Table-Plans/H6559 if
you need more detail on the mechanism.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 9:45*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:

There's a design called a "draw-leaf table" in which the leaves pull
out. *She had one of those in her kitchen--it worked fine. *Here's a
discussion with some pictures of the mechanism
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24617. *

I've encountered this design under the name "dutch extension table".

The appeal of the design with a fixed table and separate folding end
table is that I could buy a main table. This is something that I
think would be to large for me to make in my small shop. And then I
could make the folding end tables which would be of a more manageable
size. I vaguely recall that the tables in the article were quite
small, like the size of one leaf, and the author actually made two,
one for each end. But it seems like the extra legs might make this
setup less practical, so I was curious to see the details.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:07:11 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

[...]

Those uckerfays require you to PURCHASE their index.

Or any comments on making a wooden folding table?

Can you say WOW!?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlN000oxVkw

Now double that, at least:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr2W4vWhBU
It's the coolest table I've ever seen, bar none.

I saw a picture of one sort of like these where the leaves stored in a
pillar at the table center, but it was not as slick as the table in
your second video. I don't think I'll be building one of those,
though....

Cool, but not that cool, huh? (crosseyed just thinking about it)

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

Wanted table leaf latch non-marring design to allow stacking of leaves [email protected] Woodworking 2 December 2nd 06 11:13 PM
Table leaves professorpaul Woodworking 3 February 3rd 06 02:48 AM
FOLDING TABLE J T Woodworking 0 December 13th 05 10:31 PM
aligning table leaves - pins or "eveners"? [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 3rd 05 04:37 PM
Where to buy folding adjustable table legs for my outfeed table Dick Snyder Woodworking 10 December 16th 04 09:25 AM