Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Red Cedar queston

My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2010 7:14 AM, Norvin wrote:
My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Simply a matter of taste. Western Red Cedar is used mostly as an
exterior wood, but I've used it on the interior on many occasions (I've
a built quite a few recording studios in the past and many of those had
control rooms fitted out entirely in WRC).

WRC can be bought either rough, or planed, and often with a tongue and
groove which makes a nice wall panel.

Nice wood to work with, tools easily, and its light in weight, so easy
to handle in cramped quarters ... it smells good when cut.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:
On 3/9/2010 7:14 AM, Norvin wrote:
My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Simply a matter of taste. Western Red Cedar is used mostly as an
exterior wood, but I've used it on the interior on many occasions (I've
a built quite a few recording studios in the past and many of those had
control rooms fitted out entirely in WRC).

WRC can be bought either rough, or planed, and often with a tongue and
groove which makes a nice wall panel.

Nice wood to work with, tools easily, and its light in weight, so easy
to handle in cramped quarters ... it smells good when cut.

Only minor disadvantage I'd note would be it's rather soft so may show
more damage w/ time than some others on door casings, etc., in higher
traffic areas, especially w/ kids...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I woud agree that it may be a bit soft for traffic areas, otherwise,
no significant objections.

One of my bathrooms is trimmed with WRC and clear coated with water
borne varethane. 15 years and still looks nice. My bathroom doorway
trim and the wall-cabinet doors have no dings/scratches/damage/
discolorations. A WRC toilet paper holder will not support raising
yourself from the sitting position! .... * filed under "Bathroom
Gymnastics".

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 07:14:44 -0600, Norvin
wrote:

My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Thanks

If you take some red cedar and plane it smooth, you will likely find a
board with some beautiful color and grain.

I salvaged some old red cedar fence boards, and planed them, and I
ended up with some really lovely dark chocolate colored wood. No knots
in these boards.

All very soft, as mentioned by others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I ran through a few thou bf of WRC this last summer making Adirondack
chairs (www.sonomaproducts.com) . I found it to be quite beautiful if
you can keep the color. I like it when it is just a little sun burned
but it starts to fade pretty quick. A finish will stop that I suppose.
I also found it a little splintery when cutting and nailing. Yes, it
is very soft, along the lines of Pine. I think even with some good
milling and sanding I would find it a little rustic. That isn't bad
per-se just if you want a rustic look, kind of like Redwood.

I find Knotty Alder slightly more refined than WRC and a lttle more
fine in finish. Just an idea.

On Mar 9, 5:14*am, Norvin wrote:
My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Red cedar is the main wood I use for window trim. If you look after it. It
will last forever.
I favour Simi transparent stains as it will turn grey after 6 months in
weather unstained.
Havn't found an exterior clearcoat that lasts longer than a year. Some cedar
coloured simi transparent stains look close to natural.
Easy wood to work with and does smell nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 07:14:44 -0600, the infamous Norvin
scrawled the following:

My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

To add to Swingy's notes, it is also a very soft wood which cracks
easily (drill first, nail later) and is feathery when sanded. Final
sanding has to be done after a coat or two of finish goes on if you
want a really smooth result. Lots of PNW lodges are fit in WRC,
usually roughsawn for the rustic look and feel. Ditto the old Sundance
Meadows timeshare I used to own. Lotsa roughsawn cedar in that dude
ranch theme.

It's good looking when used as an interior wood. Just work around its
limitations, Norvin.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norvin wrote:
My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Thanks

Thanks to all that responded.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here is a whole room, including cabinets, done in cedar. There is a
picture about halfway down the page. Click on the picture to expand
it:

http://bullfire.net/Furniture/Furniture.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2010 1:18 PM, ed_h wrote:
Here is a whole room, including cabinets, done in cedar. There is a
picture about halfway down the page. Click on the picture to expand
it:

http://bullfire.net/Furniture/Furniture.html

Very nice!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/10 1:45 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/12/2010 1:18 PM, ed_h wrote:
Here is a whole room, including cabinets, done in cedar. There is a
picture about halfway down the page. Click on the picture to expand
it:

http://bullfire.net/Furniture/Furniture.html

Very nice!

I'll say.
LOVE the curved doors on the cabinet at the bottom of the page.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Cedar Hope Chests 100% Cedar liukaiyuan Woodworking 0 June 12th 08 09:36 AM
Cedar JD Woodturning 21 January 19th 08 09:57 AM
Spanish Cedar vs. Royal Cedar? Jay Pique Woodworking 1 December 18th 06 04:26 PM
Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards Ken Woodworking 2 June 20th 06 04:14 AM
SOT - Cedar for Cedar Baked Salmon julvr Woodworking 1 May 10th 06 09:16 PM