Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_2_] Jim Weisgram[_2_] is offline

Default Red Cedar queston

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 07:14:44 -0600, Norvin
wrote:

My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Thanks

If you take some red cedar and plane it smooth, you will likely find a
board with some beautiful color and grain.

I salvaged some old red cedar fence boards, and planed them, and I
ended up with some really lovely dark chocolate colored wood. No knots
in these boards.

All very soft, as mentioned by others.