Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken

Default Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards

Just learning about wood and enjoying it quite a bit so far.
I think one rule of thumb that I have learned is that
laminating boards to get larger dimensions is ok.

I'm building a pretty nice mailbox and need a 4x4 cedar
post for the above ground part of the post. I'm having
trouble finding the post in my area so I'm just going to
glue (titebond 3 waterproof) four 1 inch cedar
boards together to get my post.

Two questions:

Is it a general rule of thumb that gluing up thinner dimensions
of wood is not a problem? When would it be a problem?

The mailbox plans call for a pressure treated post in the ground
and a cedar post above ground. All surfaces will be painted. I
assume that cedar is used because it will have a nicer finish than
pressure treated pine even when painted.
Does that sound like the reason cedar is used?

Thanks

Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Carruth

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

cedar is bug and rot resistant (not rot proof)...cedar has a nicer
appearance and can be sealed clear or with tint..

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Ken wrote:
Just learning about wood and enjoying it quite a bit so far.
I think one rule of thumb that I have learned is that
laminating boards to get larger dimensions is ok.

I'm building a pretty nice mailbox and need a 4x4 cedar
post for the above ground part of the post. I'm having
trouble finding the post in my area so I'm just going to
glue (titebond 3 waterproof) four 1 inch cedar
boards together to get my post.

For outdoor work I'd use epoxy.

If you truly want a full 4x4 that will be truly square, laminate say
5x5 minimum and then trim to size.

Lew

more money David Woodworking 1 December 7th 05 09:36 PM
more money David Home Repair 0 December 7th 05 07:38 PM
Need advice on replacing lap boards FACE Home Repair 2 September 11th 05 01:21 AM
Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM