DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/166237-cedar-post-vs-cedar-boards.html)

Ken June 20th 06 01:54 AM

Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards

Just learning about wood and enjoying it quite a bit so far.
I think one rule of thumb that I have learned is that
laminating boards to get larger dimensions is ok.

I'm building a pretty nice mailbox and need a 4x4 cedar
post for the above ground part of the post. I'm having
trouble finding the post in my area so I'm just going to
glue (titebond 3 waterproof) four 1 inch cedar
boards together to get my post.

Two questions:

Is it a general rule of thumb that gluing up thinner dimensions
of wood is not a problem? When would it be a problem?

The mailbox plans call for a pressure treated post in the ground
and a cedar post above ground. All surfaces will be painted. I
assume that cedar is used because it will have a nicer finish than
pressure treated pine even when painted.
Does that sound like the reason cedar is used?

Thanks

Ken

Chris Carruth June 20th 06 03:20 AM

Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

cedar is bug and rot resistant (not rot proof)...cedar has a nicer
appearance and can be sealed clear or with tint..

Lew Hodgett June 20th 06 04:14 AM

Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards

Ken wrote:
Just learning about wood and enjoying it quite a bit so far.
I think one rule of thumb that I have learned is that
laminating boards to get larger dimensions is ok.

I'm building a pretty nice mailbox and need a 4x4 cedar
post for the above ground part of the post. I'm having
trouble finding the post in my area so I'm just going to
glue (titebond 3 waterproof) four 1 inch cedar
boards together to get my post.

For outdoor work I'd use epoxy.

If you truly want a full 4x4 that will be truly square, laminate say
5x5 minimum and then trim to size.

Lew