Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Red Cedar queston

Swingman wrote:
On 3/9/2010 7:14 AM, Norvin wrote:
My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Simply a matter of taste. Western Red Cedar is used mostly as an
exterior wood, but I've used it on the interior on many occasions (I've
a built quite a few recording studios in the past and many of those had
control rooms fitted out entirely in WRC).

WRC can be bought either rough, or planed, and often with a tongue and
groove which makes a nice wall panel.

Nice wood to work with, tools easily, and its light in weight, so easy
to handle in cramped quarters ... it smells good when cut.

Only minor disadvantage I'd note would be it's rather soft so may show
more damage w/ time than some others on door casings, etc., in higher
traffic areas, especially w/ kids...