Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Red Cedar queston

I ran through a few thou bf of WRC this last summer making Adirondack
chairs (www.sonomaproducts.com) . I found it to be quite beautiful if
you can keep the color. I like it when it is just a little sun burned
but it starts to fade pretty quick. A finish will stop that I suppose.
I also found it a little splintery when cutting and nailing. Yes, it
is very soft, along the lines of Pine. I think even with some good
milling and sanding I would find it a little rustic. That isn't bad
per-se just if you want a rustic look, kind of like Redwood.

I find Knotty Alder slightly more refined than WRC and a lttle more
fine in finish. Just an idea.

On Mar 9, 5:14*am, Norvin wrote:
My son asked what I thought about using western red cedar as interior
millwork around doors and windows. Since I am not that familiar with
cedar, I thought I would ask here. All pros and cons are welcome.

Thanks