Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What do you make and where do you put it?

In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2010 10:37 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

I make firnaces andput 'em in /other/ /peoples'/ houses.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 11:37*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

I am finishing up a design, along with a furniture-industry designer
for a flatscreen entertainment centre which in some ways is quite
advanced. The first couple of prototypes are already on the bench and
I'm keeping a bit of a log. The two big features are hidden wires and
modular construction which allows choices of finishes right off the
shelf.
Then they go to people's houses.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:37:21 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

Projects to do for me:
2 end tables
coffee table
3 or 4 picture frames

Projects to do for others (all gratis)
Bookcase for grandson of good friend
Cutting boards for gifts

I've done more for other's houses than my own. I've done some things
where the recipient will pay for the wood, but labor is a hobby, not a
job, so it is free.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 10:37*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

Not a problem the past year or so. We are doing much of the finish on
our retirement home including hardwood floors, staircase, some
cabinets, tub surrounds, trim etc.

Otherwise, we have:

- Done similar trim/finish work for both of our kids during home
construction
- Built some furniture items for ourselves and our son
- Built five rather involved hardwood rocking horses. Two for grand-
kids. One for a friends daughter. Two for church raffle prizes.
- Fancy picture frames for us and others
- Quilt racks for us and others
- Shop storage and bench projects
- Etc.

Obviously a lot of the above went somewhere else or is attached to a
home.

Now that I am retired and finishing up with our home project, I might
have to start working on inventory management.

Oh-Oh!

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

Last projects:

Queen size Murphy with bookcases for spare bedroom.
Pull toy for 1 yr old grandson
xylophone for 4 yr old grandson
cooking paddle (25' long) for neighbor.

To do:

Bunk beds with desk for grandsons (next Christmas)
a few shop jigs
dust collector manifold to split hoses for TS and RAS
outdoor patio sideboard/buffet (ideas welcome)

On the list:
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:01:25 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On 1/28/2010 10:37 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

I make firnaces andput 'em in /other/ /peoples'/ houses.

SPF furnace?

P.S: Why are you guys feeding the TooManyTwinkies Troll?

--
It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from
his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

They all don't go in my house, I sell 95% of what I build although I am
currently involved with replacing/building all new master bed room furniture
for our home.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

As someone else said, as hobbyists we're not likely to overcome the
limit--especially, if one chooses "interesting" projects, which use
different techniques, rather than setting up a production line.

Personally, I have luthery (making musical instruments)as one of my
goals, even if it may be a few years before I actually produce
any (starting with an old-time banjo,circa 1840's). I'm planning to
build a workbench and some other items first. Some people like to
build boats, some build built-in bookcases, some (evidently, from the
adertisements) build tow-along RVs : ) Think "outside the box", and
have fun (I'm sure the OP already does, and is way ahead of
me, based on his handle)! Of course, one could spend a lifetime
building boxes...but I'll let a box-maker write that post.

Paraphrasing something Lew wrote, your mind is your most important tool.
That includes your imagination (and that's arguably one of the most
challenging and enjoyable tools to use, for many).

When in doubt, build something personal for your spouse, if
applicable--the person who makes it possible to have time for the luxury
of woodworking! : )

Anyway, this is a reflection on what I have gained from the kind folks
here.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2010 10:00 AM, Bill wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

cooking paddle (25' long) for neighbor.

Don't understand.

outdoor patio sideboard/buffet (ideas welcome)

SFWIW:

Made a side table for the grill using redwood 2x4s with 1/4" spacing
between for top and "X" cross legs (Think cross buck or Swing's
campfire stool) for table legs and apron.

Used S/S deck screws and bunged them for ass'y.

YMMV

Lew

Mine was about 20" x 24" but just about any size that fits your needs
works.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

I make this stuff:
http://tinyurl.com/ykhbbot

By the time I've run out of projects the original projects often need
replacing.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

cooking paddle (25' long) for neighbor.

Don't understand.

My Hispanic neighbors do some outdoor cooking in a LARGE pot - carnitas,
pazole, etc. They have large family gatherings and I keep on their good
side as they always offer up some of the feast for SWMBO and me. A
cooking paddle looks like this:

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/1001_wo...ing_paddle.htm

I made several of varying sizes out of some scrap birch.

outdoor patio sideboard/buffet (ideas welcome)

SFWIW:

Made a side table for the grill using redwood 2x4s with 1/4" spacing
between for top and "X" cross legs (Think cross buck or Swing's
campfire stool) for table legs and apron.

Used S/S deck screws and bunged them for ass'y.

YMMV

Lew

Mine was about 20" x 24" but just about any size that fits your needs
works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Checkerboards, Coat racks, Bookcases, Benches, Doll Beds, Puzzles

All that kind of stuff ends up at the local school or a local charity
auction.

Kichen Island, Settle Bench, Mission Clock, Mailbox, Hutch

All ends up at my house.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

cooking paddle (25' long) for neighbor.

Don't understand.

My Hispanic neighbors do some outdoor cooking in a LARGE pot - carnitas,
pazole, etc. They have large family gatherings and I keep on their good
side as they always offer up some of the feast for SWMBO and me. A
cooking paddle looks like this:

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/1001_wo...ing_paddle.htm

I made several of varying sizes out of some scrap birch.

That thing looks big enough to double as a home defense weapon!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

cooking paddle (25' long) for neighbor.

Don't understand.

My Hispanic neighbors do some outdoor cooking in a LARGE pot -
carnitas, pazole, etc. They have large family gatherings and I keep
on their good side as they always offer up some of the feast for
SWMBO and me. A cooking paddle looks like this:

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/1001_wo...ing_paddle.htm

I made several of varying sizes out of some scrap birch.

that link shows one 35" long. you made one 25'. do they have to stand in
your backyard to use it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

chaniarts wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

cooking paddle (25' long) for neighbor.
Don't understand.

My Hispanic neighbors do some outdoor cooking in a LARGE pot -
carnitas, pazole, etc. They have large family gatherings and I keep
on their good side as they always offer up some of the feast for
SWMBO and me. A cooking paddle looks like this:

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/1001_wo...ing_paddle.htm

I made several of varying sizes out of some scrap birch.

that link shows one 35" long. you made one 25'. do they have to stand in
your backyard to use it?

:-)
Sorry, 25". But I could make a really big one and use the extension
ladder...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

My Hispanic neighbors do some outdoor cooking in a LARGE pot -
carnitas, pazole, etc. They have large family gatherings and I keep
on their good side as they always offer up some of the feast for
SWMBO and me. A cooking paddle looks like this:

Gotcha.

As in ye old giant wooden spoon.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 1:13*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 28, 11:37*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

I am finishing up a design, along with a furniture-industry designer
for a flatscreen entertainment centre which in some ways is quite
advanced. The first couple of prototypes are already on the bench and
I'm keeping a bit of a log. The two big features are hidden wires and
modular construction which allows choices of finishes right off the
shelf.
Then they go to people's houses.

As per request:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/TuToneAV.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

My Hispanic neighbors do some outdoor cooking in a LARGE pot - carnitas,
pazole, etc. They have large family gatherings and I keep on their good
side as they always offer up some of the feast for SWMBO and me. A
cooking paddle looks like this:

Gotcha.

As in ye old giant wooden spoon.

Lew

Those of us that remember an irate mother with a wooden spoon cringe at the
thought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 9:29*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:01:25 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On 1/28/2010 10:37 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

I make firnaces andput 'em in /other/ /peoples'/ houses.

SPF furnace? *

P.S: Why are you guys feeding the TooManyTwinkies Troll?

--
It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from
his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Agnes Repplier

Hi Larry...a bit contispated today? ;)

Try adding some wood fiber to your diet.

The question I posed is a good question for anyone who actually does a
lot of woodworking...instead of just talking about it.

In my experience, the results of woodworking tend to take up
space...much more than metalworking.

There are just so many items you can put in the house unless you start
tossing what was there.

So I think it is a good one and am looking forward to the opinions
that are being presented.

TMT
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2010 9:29 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:01:25 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

I make firnaces and put 'em in /other/ peoples' houses.

SPF furnace?

Exactly. Where they're suitable, firnaces are much more economical than
furnaces.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2010 2:57 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

There are just so many items you can put in the house unless you start
tossing what was there.

There's much to be said for that - and there can be considerable
satisfaction in making things for other than just oneself.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 8:37*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make

Bookshelves

... and where do you put it?

Under the nether parts of books.

Also, I've built a significant number of boxes/bins for media.
Furniture is
actually fairly well handled by industry goods, but CD bins and
bookshelves
from most suppliers are ... dreadful on several levels. I can get
good chairs,
good tables, good bedsteads and dressers, but it takes saws and elbow
grease to get a good shelf for my printed treasures.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:23:31 -0700, "Max"
wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

I make this stuff:
http://tinyurl.com/ykhbbot

By the time I've run out of projects the original projects often need
replacing.

Max

I have made nearly all my household furniture, except for the computer
chair, TV chairs, and the preferred dining table is a formica folding
table, seats two or 6-7 people. 2010 plan is to make a trestle
dining table, Shaker design, but not too big.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Phisherman" wrote

"Max" wrote:

I have made nearly all my household furniture, except for the computer
chair, TV chairs, and the preferred dining table is a formica folding
table, seats two or 6-7 people. 2010 plan is to make a trestle
dining table, Shaker design, but not too big.

I have a ways to go. Planning on a Murphy bed for one of the bedrooms.
Kitchen cabinets; That'll be the "biggy".

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually, I started my "woodworking" hobby when we bought an older house
with a simply huge, unfinished attic (10 feet floor to peak). Turned it
into a 2nd floor bedroom, playroom, added a dormer bathroom. Learned a
lot. Made many mistakes. Wondered why I didn't start with something simple
like a sandbox. My realworld job is totally unlike this...

Then I had all those tools and newly acquired hobby skills so....I started
reading "Woodsmith" wayyyy back around Issue #5...loved it and got the
reprints back to the first issue with the crude butcher block drawings...
I don't build anything unless I grok the process entirely, and by then
--like a dog-- I've peed all over the design enough to call it "mine."

New House: partition off part of the basement, learn how to install a window
in the fresh cut-out in the concrete foundation (I hired *that* out!) and
did the insulation, walls, ceilings, closets...etc.

Two 2x8' hobby benches in another corner of the basement for the kids'
plastic models, rockets, and fool-around stuff....(pre-computer. Now'days
we all LAN-party and shoot aliens anymore)

Custom "typing stand", back when my now-31-yr-old #1 needed one. (he just
sold it last year at a garage sale! Does that make me pro?)

Custom two matched night stands with book storage

Custom little wall-mounted magazine rack in the, uh-- "sit room" where I
read the magazines....

Custom "entertainment center" about 7 years ago or so...for 25" TV, storage
for 80 VHS tapes, nook for the antenna rotator... Gonna have to build an
entirely new thing just as soon as that old RCA burns out and we have to
upgrade/modernize to 16:9 and Internet feed, with custom storage for the
CPU, etc. {Nothing much to watch on cable/broadcast anyway....}

Custom smoked-glass fronted audio cabinet to match the TV thing for my 1980s
audio amp and subsequent *tape* and CD players. Guess that'll go, too, in
the upgrade.

Custom gun cabinet, 6 long-guns and repositionable shelves (hunting gear
storage) with 12 vdc LED lighting ..in process now.

Collapsible table/seating for my sons' (previous) Boy Scout Troop ..also
wooden storage boxes for Dutch ovens...and a 12v car battery that was
supposed to power the lights inside the Troop's equipment trailer, re-juiced
by sunlight. Grew out of the organization soon after, but I saw the trailer
last month with the solar panel on the outside, so I ass-u-me it still
works.

Utility stuff around my little man-cave shop, garage, back yard, whatever.
y'know...puttering. Oh, I just put a new (and upgraded design) top on the
really crude router table I got out of "Woodsmith" back when the whole
router-thing was new and people were still feeling their way around 'em.
(remember the 2-dimensional bits ...before somebody discovered
anti-kickback design?)

The typing stand was, maybe, circa 1990. Audio cabinet last year. Not too
bad, I guess for my little almost-room-to-turn-around-in shop under the
stairs. I still want a real table saw someday....

When the gun cabinet's done, soon, next up will be two sturdy outdoor wooden
bench seats that I saw in "Woodsmith" last ?fall? for the back patio.

Oh and there're those coasters my wife's been asking for
since...oh....1989..... ;-}}
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:43:02 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On 1/29/2010 9:29 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:01:25 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

I make firnaces and put 'em in /other/ peoples' houses.

SPF furnace?

Exactly. Where they're suitable, firnaces are much more economical than
furnaces.

Bbbbut, don't they burn up in the first heating session?

--
It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from
his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self.
-- Agnes Repplier
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:58:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

They all don't go in my house, I sell 95% of what I build although I am
currently involved with replacing/building all new master bed room furniture
for our home.

Twelve thousand board feet and counting, wot?

--
It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from
his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self.
-- Agnes Repplier

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2010 11:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Bbbbut, don't they burn up in the first heating session?

Silly wabbit, firnaces aren't for burning!

They get heat from the sun, and they do that so well it takes /all/
night for the sun to recharge for the next day...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:05:44 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On 1/29/2010 11:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Bbbbut, don't they burn up in the first heating session?

Silly wabbit, firnaces aren't for burning!

They get heat from the sun, and they do that so well it takes /all/
night for the sun to recharge for the next day...

Those aren't firnaces, they're passive solar panels, aka
"plastialumplyaces".

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
what do you make and where do you put it?

I make a mess and put it in the garbage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:58:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

They all don't go in my house, I sell 95% of what I build although I am
currently involved with replacing/building all new master bed room
furniture
for our home.

Twelve thousand board feet and counting, wot?

LOL, Some times it feels like that. Especially the time Swingman helped me
load 27 sheets of oak veneer 3/4" plywood into my truck for a double kitchen
job we worked on together. Cut it all up in one long afternoon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:18:05 -0500, "SBH" wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
what do you make and where do you put it?

I make a mess and put it in the garbage.

That's a lot better than making a mess and tracking it into the house.
If I'm not careful, I leave a trail of sawdust where ever I go. SWMBO
doesn't complain so much now that there is a full bathroom (completely
installed by me) adjacent to the woodshop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:18:05 -0500, "SBH" wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
what do you make and where do you put it?

I make a mess and put it in the garbage.

That's a lot better than making a mess and tracking it into the house.
If I'm not careful, I leave a trail of sawdust where ever I go. SWMBO
doesn't complain so much now that there is a full bathroom (completely
installed by me) adjacent to the woodshop.

LOL...funny enough, I do the same and unfortunately, don't have a separate
room to clean off. I have to remember to blow myself off before entering the
house.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 11:37*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

Do the American thing. Just buy a larger house or rent a self-storage
garage. Then if you are really patriotic, complain about your
property taxes being too high, join a tea-party and get a cameo on Fox
News.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
On 1/29/2010 9:29 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:01:25 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

I make firnaces and put 'em in /other/ peoples' houses.

SPF furnace?

Exactly. Where they're suitable, firnaces are much more economical than
furnaces.

And a _lot_ less expensive to build than cherry-aces, or maple-aces. *GRIN*

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:

They get heat from the sun, and they do that so well it takes /all/
night for the sun to recharge for the next day...

Now _THAT_ could the basis of a really effective (viral) advertising
campaign.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2010 8:41 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
In ,
Morris wrote:
On 1/29/2010 9:29 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:01:25 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

I make firnaces and put 'em in /other/ peoples' houses.

SPF furnace?

Exactly. Where they're suitable, firnaces are much more economical than
furnaces.

And a _lot_ less expensive to build than cherry-aces, or maple-aces. *GRIN*

Absolutely - I've been tempted to try pine clones.

:-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar