Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with common tools?

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or

A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here...
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v156-0102

B. Cut into octogan, quarter it, plane/spokeshave/sand to round

C. Use a lathe
_________________

2. Make a "diagonal" cut so that the lumber has a triangular 3"x3"x
profile.

A. Tilt bandsaw table

B. (better IMO) Make an auxiliary table with a cradle of two pieces mounted
at 90 degrees to each other and 45 degrees to the table, use on either
bandsaw or table saw. On table saw, cut in two passes; i.e., depth at 1
1/2" or less, cut once, flip vertically, cut again.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or

A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here...
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v156-0102

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round. That will make a 1-1/2"
quarter-round.

B. Cut into octogan, quarter it, plane/spokeshave/sand to round

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round either.

C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or

A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here...
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v156-0102

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round. That will make a 1-1/2"
quarter-round.

Let me see...if I use a 3/8" radius quarter round bit on a piece of wood 3/4
x 3/4 I wind up with a nice piece of 3/4 quarter round. Seems to me that a
1 1/2" radius bit appled to a piece of 3x3 would yield a 3" quarter round.
No?
___________

B. Cut into octogan, quarter it, plane/spokeshave/sand to round

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round either.

Whoops, see below...
______________

C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Will too. He just has to glue up four pieces of 3x3 before turning

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or

A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here...
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v156-0102

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round. That will make a 1-1/2"
quarter-round.

Let me see...if I use a 3/8" radius quarter round bit on a piece of wood 3/4
x 3/4 I wind up with a nice piece of 3/4 quarter round.

No, you don't.

Seems to me that a
1 1/2" radius bit appled to a piece of 3x3 would yield a 3" quarter round.
No?

No.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or

A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here...
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v156-0102

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round. That will make a 1-1/2"
quarter-round.

Let me see...if I use a 3/8" radius quarter round bit on a piece of
wood 3/4 x 3/4 I wind up with a nice piece of 3/4 quarter round.

No, you don't.

Right. I'm going to stop reading groups early in the AM.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

Heh - this is getting pretty messy.

A while back I needed four 3" radius corner pieces and I routed 'em from
a 2x4, which gave me a nice quarter round without the 90° corner.

I used a 1" round nose bit and took a photo about halfway through the
process. I just uploaded it to
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/DSCN1386.JPG (It's a sizable file, so
you may want to skip if you have a dial-up connection) so you can see
the chips flying.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Heh - this is getting pretty messy.

A while back I needed four 3" radius corner pieces and I routed 'em
from a 2x4, which gave me a nice quarter round without the 90°
corner.

Last time I needed a 3" quarter round for a mold, got a plywood
quarter round from Anderson International here in town.

They are on the web.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Heh - this is getting pretty messy.

A while back I needed four 3" radius corner pieces and I routed 'em
from a 2x4, which gave me a nice quarter round without the 90°
corner.

Last time I needed a 3" quarter round for a mold, got a plywood
quarter round from Anderson International here in town.

They are on the web.

That works too, but I'm willing to bet they charged more than the 22¢/ft
I paid Menards.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

That works too, but I'm willing to bet they charged more than the
22¢/ft I paid Menards.

You lose that one.G

It was from the reject pile and considered a donation to the boat
building project.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

That works too, but I'm willing to bet they charged more than the
22¢/ft I paid Menards.

You lose that one.G

It was from the reject pile and considered a donation to the boat
building project.

An excellent gloat! (You suck)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 8:08*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or

A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here...
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v156-0102

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round. That will make a 1-1/2"
quarter-round.

B. Cut into octogan, quarter it, plane/spokeshave/sand to round

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round either.

C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools
at the correct times. g
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:08=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools
at the correct times. g

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that between
centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. g
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

An excellent gloat! (You suck)

Consider it a "Cast thy bread upon the water" moment for them.

Buy a LOT of Finnish birch from them, don't even think about shopping
it.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 3:47*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 1, 8:08=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools
at the correct times. g

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that between
centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. g

Wait a minute, I've re-thunk my method.

If he mounts it off-center and moves his tool in and out (his cutting
tool, for all you perverts) with the correct timing, he could get the
3" radius.

This method is not for the faint of heart...or anyone with a brain. g
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 1, 3:47=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

..com, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 1, 8:08=3DA0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools
at the correct times. g

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that between
centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. g

Wait a minute, I've re-thunk my method.

If he mounts it off-center and moves his tool in and out (his cutting
tool, for all you perverts) with the correct timing, he could get the
3" radius.

Not possible. Remember, he's starting out with a 3"x3" square timber. To get a
3" radius quarter-round out of that on a lathe, you'd have to mount the lathe
centers right at one of the corners.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 4:36*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If he mounts it off-center and moves his tool in and out (his cutting
tool, for all you perverts) with the correct timing, he could get the
3" radius.

Not possible. Remember, he's starting out with a 3"x3" square timber. To get a
3" radius quarter-round out of that on a lathe, you'd have to mount the lathe
centers right at one of the corners.

It is not impossible. Like Derby said, you just have to synchronize
the in and out feed with the rotation. Effecting this is left as an
exercise for the reader.

I wonder if the OP has a router...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote:

It is not impossible. Like Derby said, you just have to synchronize
the in and out feed with the rotation. Effecting this is left as an
exercise for the reader.

Think cam and a follower.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

..com, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 1, 8:08=3DA0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools
at the correct times. g

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that between
centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. g

Wait a minute, I've re-thunk my method.

If he mounts it off-center and moves his tool in and out (his cutting
tool, for all you perverts) with the correct timing, he could get the
3" radius.

Not possible. Remember, he's starting out with a 3"x3" square timber. To get a
3" radius quarter-round out of that on a lathe, you'd have to mount the lathe
centers right at one of the corners.

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:08=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools
at the correct times. g

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that between
centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. g

Block on each end large enough to take the centers for the correct offset. I
thought that was obvious but apaerently not.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:36=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If he mounts it off-center and moves his tool in and out (his cutting
tool, for all you perverts) with the correct timing, he could get the
3" radius.

Not possible. Remember, he's starting out with a 3"x3" square timber. To get a
3" radius quarter-round out of that on a lathe, you'd have to mount the lathe
centers right at one of the corners.

It is not impossible.

Yes, it is.

Like Derby said, you just have to synchronize
the in and out feed with the rotation. Effecting this is left as an
exercise for the reader.

That's not sufficient. Go back and re-read what I wrote about where the lathe
centers have to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:36=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

..com, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 1, 3:47=3DA0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

ups=3D
..com, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 1, 8:08=3D3DA0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools
at the correct times. g

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that bet=

ween
centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. g

Wait a minute, I've re-thunk my method.

If he mounts it off-center and moves his tool in and out (his cutting
tool, for all you perverts) with the correct timing, he could get the
3" radius.

Not possible. Remember, he's starting out with a 3"x3" square timber. To =

get a
3" radius quarter-round out of that on a lathe, you'd have to mount the l=

athe
centers right at one of the corners.

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g

You're overlooking the fact that it's intrinsically impossible to mount it at
a corner... A quarter- or half-inch inboard of the corner, I'll buy, but that
would leave a radius of less than 3".
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:08=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools
at the correct times. g

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that between
centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. g

Block on each end large enough to take the centers for the correct offset. I
thought that was obvious but apaerently not.

The vibration from being so far off balance would tear it off those blocks in
a heartbeat.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 10:44*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 1, 4:36=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If he mounts it off-center and moves his tool in and out (his cutting
tool, for all you perverts) with the correct timing, he could get the
3" radius.

Not possible. Remember, he's starting out with a 3"x3" square timber. To get a
3" radius quarter-round out of that on a lathe, you'd have to mount the lathe
centers right at one of the corners.

It is not impossible.

Yes, it is.

You're obviously in an argumentative mood.
Impossible means that it cannot be done.
This is not one of those situations.

Like Derby said, you just have to synchronize
the in and out feed with the rotation. *Effecting this is left as an
exercise for the reader.

That's not sufficient. Go back and re-read what I wrote about where the lathe
centers have to be.

Fine, I did, and there was nothing there that I missed the first time
around. You've made up your mind that something that isn't
impossible, is, and then you snapped your mind shut - case closed.

The center of rotation has to be centered on the lathe, but that
doesn't mean the workpiece has to have its center centered. There are
a number of ways to accomplish that as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 10:47*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
"CW" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that between
centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. g

Block on each end large enough to take the centers for the correct offset. I
thought that was obvious but apparently not.

The vibration from being so far off balance would tear it off those blocks in
a heartbeat.

Is there some rule that only the workpiece can be mounted between the
blocks? It's possible to add some deadwood/weight to counterbalance
the workpiece, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jni6Qnth844
There's nothing to prevent using the concepts of that fack-tree made
eccentric chuck and making your own. The counterweights can be
attached to the end mounting blocks, they don't have to be full
length.

Howza bout gluing four blanks together and turning four quarter rounds
at one time? That doesn't sound impossible, is it?

Let's keep the bar set for the word impossible at its original "not
possible" setting. It makes communication easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g

You're overlooking the fact that it's intrinsically impossible to
mount it at
a corner... A quarter- or half-inch inboard of the corner, I'll buy,
but that
would leave a radius of less than 3".

Afix 3"x6" or thereabouts boards to ends of 3x3. Mount on lathe at board
centers.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

*"CW" wrote:
[...]

....and all I was trying to do was to add a little humor to the
thread...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

*"CW" wrote:
[...]

I know. And all I was trying to do was to point out "impossible"
isn't in this situation...well, that and have a little fun poking
fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g

You're overlooking the fact that it's intrinsically impossible to
mount it at
a corner... A quarter- or half-inch inboard of the corner, I'll buy,
but that
would leave a radius of less than 3".

Afix 3"x6" or thereabouts boards to ends of 3x3. Mount on lathe at board
centers.

And make sure you're not standing in front of it when you turn the lathe on,
'cause it's coming off.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g

You're overlooking the fact that it's intrinsically impossible to
mount it at
a corner... A quarter- or half-inch inboard of the corner, I'll buy,
but that
would leave a radius of less than 3".

Afix 3"x6" or thereabouts boards to ends of 3x3. Mount on lathe at
board centers.

And make sure you're not standing in front of it when you turn the
lathe on, 'cause it's coming off.

Your cup is always half empty, isn't it?

The lathe could be run *very* slowly or - as explained by others -
counterweighted. It need not be run at all if one mounted a router so it
could be slid along the length of the stock, the stock being rotated
manually after each pass. And - anticipating your next objection - yes, the
stock would need to be held rigidly while routing.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 8:54*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g

You're overlooking the fact that it's intrinsically impossible to
mount it at
a corner... A quarter- or half-inch inboard of the corner, I'll buy,
but that
would leave a radius of less than 3".

Afix 3"x6" or thereabouts boards to ends of 3x3. *Mount on lathe at
board centers.

And make sure you're not standing in front of it when you turn the
lathe on, 'cause it's coming off.

Your cup is always half empty, isn't it?

I think the cup has a crack in it.

The lathe could be run *very* slowly or - as explained by others -
counterweighted. *It need not be run at all if one mounted a router so it
could be slid along the length of the stock, the stock being rotated
manually after each pass. *And - anticipating your next objection - yes, the
stock would need to be held rigidly while routing.

In most ways the router would be the safest and provide the smoothest
result without handwork. The OP mentioned a tablesaw and bandsaw, and
that's what people limited their replies to. It would seem odd to me
if the OP had those tools and not a router.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

The vibration from being so far off balance would tear it off those
blocks in a heartbeat.

Just stick 4 of them together to make a 6x6 block and turn that, then
separate

Easy-peasy, nothing out of balance, you produce four at a time and all
exactly the same radius.

Looks like something isn't right with the clock on your system. Your
posts are coming in with a time stamp of an hour older than when you
posted them.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Steve Turner wrote:
Looks like something isn't right with the clock on your system. Your
posts are coming in with a time stamp of an hour older than when you
posted them.

Possibly. I seem to recall this happening once before when we had the
clock change but I can't remember what the fix was.

The clock on screen is displaying the time correctly.

Well in that case it was a Windows machine exhibiting a bug in its
handling of the automatic adjustment for daylight savings time. It
doesn't look like you're running Windows to me, so it's probably a
different issue.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!