Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with commontools?

In article , Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or
2. Make a "diagonal" cut so that the lumber has a triangular 3"x3"x profile.

I have a table saw and a band saw.

If the table of your bandsaw can be tilted 45 degrees from the horizontal,
cutting the triangular profile is trivial.

Cutting a quarter-round profile cannot be done in a single operation, but you
can get there with a series of steps, using the bandsaw. Draw the profile you
want on the end of the board, then make straight cuts at various tilt angles
to approximate that profile. Finally, smooth it with hand tools such as a
plane, spokeshave, drawknife, or file (or a combination of those).

There is no safe way to do this on the table saw.