Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with commontools?

On Oct 3, 8:54*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't I say "If he mounts it off-center"? g

You're overlooking the fact that it's intrinsically impossible to
mount it at
a corner... A quarter- or half-inch inboard of the corner, I'll buy,
but that
would leave a radius of less than 3".

Afix 3"x6" or thereabouts boards to ends of 3x3. *Mount on lathe at
board centers.

And make sure you're not standing in front of it when you turn the
lathe on, 'cause it's coming off.

Your cup is always half empty, isn't it?

I think the cup has a crack in it.

The lathe could be run *very* slowly or - as explained by others -
counterweighted. *It need not be run at all if one mounted a router so it
could be slid along the length of the stock, the stock being rotated
manually after each pass. *And - anticipating your next objection - yes, the
stock would need to be held rigidly while routing.

In most ways the router would be the safest and provide the smoothest
result without handwork. The OP mentioned a tablesaw and bandsaw, and
that's what people limited their replies to. It would seem odd to me
if the OP had those tools and not a router.