Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default What do you make and where do you put it?

On 1/29/2010 10:00 AM, Bill wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In respect to woodworking, what do you make and where do you put it?

It would seem that there would be a limit to the projects one can make
if they all go in your house.

Thanks for your insight.

TMT

As someone else said, as hobbyists we're not likely to overcome the
limit--especially, if one chooses "interesting" projects, which use
different techniques, rather than setting up a production line.

Personally, I have luthery (making musical instruments)as one of my
goals, even if it may be a few years before I actually produce
any (starting with an old-time banjo,circa 1840's). I'm planning to
build a workbench and some other items first. Some people like to
build boats, some build built-in bookcases, some (evidently, from the
adertisements) build tow-along RVs : ) Think "outside the box", and
have fun (I'm sure the OP already does, and is way ahead of
me, based on his handle)! Of course, one could spend a lifetime building
boxes...but I'll let a box-maker write that post.

Paraphrasing something Lew wrote, your mind is your most important tool.
That includes your imagination (and that's arguably one of the most
challenging and enjoyable tools to use, for many).

When in doubt, build something personal for your spouse, if
applicable--the person who makes it possible to have time for the luxury
of woodworking! : )

Anyway, this is a reflection on what I have gained from the kind folks
here.

Bill

--
www.e-woodshop.net