Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic: Organization Software?

I am appealing to the collective wisdom (and possible software knowledge) of
the Wreck.

I find myself in the midth of a large number of projects, both work related
and personal. They are have a lot of details that need to be updated on a
regular basis. All my "job pads" are taking up a lot of space and rarely are
up to date. I, by nature, hate calanders and daily planners.

I don't need a calander, a planner or project manager. What I need is some
way to keep track of multiple activities and update them on a semi regular
basis. And ideally this would run on a computer. It can be simple.

I just need some way to make a lot of lists and keep them current. I don't
need to include outside parties. Just me and my projects. Some way to
write down needed details and update them constantly.

Is there such a thing? Can this be adapted from something? I want off the
shelf and reasonable price. Will a shareware program work?

Paper approaches don't seem to work. It gets stacked up somewhere and when
I find it again, it is hopelessy out of date. And updating multiple paper
lists can be a chore. Particularyif they are in differentlocations.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

[...]

MindManager software from Mindjet.com. Couple that with the plug-in
ResultsManager from gyronix.com and you have a really complete organizer and
task tool. You can lay out a project from start to finish in MindManager,
then use ResultsManager to tell you what task is up next. Both companies
offer a 30 day trial; take it for a spin, it's worth a look. What you are
essentially doing is building a flowchart for each project, where you
identify the desired finished result, then step back to whatever level of
detail to what was required to get to that result. It's easier to use or
read about on their website with graphics than for me to explain.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

This begs for a database approach.

For example, I use a database file to maintain checking accounts.

These check databases have a number of fields such as whether the bank has
processed the check at the end of the month.

This allows me to maintain two running balances.

One is what the bank thinks is in the account, the other is what is the
actual remaining balance.

You could do a very similar thing to generate a punch list for a project.

Think of all the checks the bank hasn't paid as items on your punch list.

As you complete a task, enter it as "processed" for that task record,
update the database, then print out a new punch list of items to complete.

Enter new data task records as needed.

You can make it as simple or as complex as you wish.

You might start by designing a master database file then take copies and
modify it to meet specific project needs.

Whatever you do, once you enter data via keyboard, that is the last time
you enter it by keyboard.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Thank you Lew.

Iused to design databases many years ago. It has been awhile since I did
this sort of thing. I may have to clear out some old mental cobwebs and
revisit this area.

The ones I worked with were all the fill in the data field type. I assume
that there are some out there now that will allow a more text based
approach.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDosser" wrote

I'll second MindManager and add that there are several companies that have
similar products. A google on Mind Manager should come up with a number of
them. If you are comfortable with the process, it can be Fun and you find
yourself using it to plan trips, design things, just all sorts of stuff.

I had no idea that this was based on the original mind mapping method
originated by Tony Buzan. That is very interesting.

Based on that premise, maybe a mind mapping software application may work.

If you are interested in mindmapping at all, there is a mind mapping based
thesaurus there.

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"LDosser" wrote

I'll second MindManager and add that there are several companies that
have similar products. A google on Mind Manager should come up with a
number of them. If you are comfortable with the process, it can be Fun
and you find yourself using it to plan trips, design things, just all
sorts of stuff.

I had no idea that this was based on the original mind mapping method
originated by Tony Buzan. That is very interesting.

Based on that premise, maybe a mind mapping software application may work.

If you are interested in mindmapping at all, there is a mind mapping based
thesaurus there.

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/

Fun! I was well on my way to doing the caption of a Thurber cartoon with it.
"The hounds of spring are on winter's traces ..." Or word to that effect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:36:01 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Paper approaches don't seem to work. It gets stacked up somewhere and when
I find it again, it is hopelessy out of date. And updating multiple paper
lists can be a chore. Particularyif they are in differentlocations.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Mindjets MindManager Pro, is project management software, the wife
uses at work.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Here are three that could work for you...

KeyNote
http://www.tranglos.com/free/index.html

TreePad
http://www.treepad.com/treepadfreeware/

Azz Card File
http://www.azzcardfile.com/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 19, 12:36*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
[...]

www.versiontracker.com has a ton of apps, mac & windows. Just tell
them what you're looking for.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 11:36*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
[...]

I've fount that if you don't use paper methods of organization you
won't use "automated" methods either. Computers just mess things up
faster.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2010 11:36 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I just need some way to make a lot of lists and keep them current. I don't
need to include outside parties. Just me and my projects. Some way to
write down needed details and update them constantly.

Is there such a thing? Can this be adapted from something? I want off the
shelf and reasonable price. Will a shareware program work?

Paper approaches don't seem to work. It gets stacked up somewhere and when
I find it again, it is hopelessy out of date. And updating multiple paper
lists can be a chore. Particularyif they are in differentlocations.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

In a hurry to get out of town and don't have time to read the thread.

What I use:

Microsoft Excel ... I wouldn't want to do what I do without it, from
keeping precise track of budgetary items as the are incurred multiple
times a day, to task lists, to punch lists.

It also works on my blackberry ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

I use MS Excel Spreadsheet to make lists (as well as simple (hardcopy)
weekly calendars--where I can write notes in the boxes) to do what you
describe. In fact, I make the weekly calendars with Excel. the
program (suite) OpenOffice has equivalent functionality I think, and
it's free. Here is the URL to the download.

http://www.openoffice.org/

These tools help me make sure that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be
doing and that I don't have to go into "crunch mode" too often.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Paper approaches don't seem to work. It gets stacked up somewhere and when
I find it again, it is hopelessy out of date. And updating multiple paper
lists can be a chore. Particularyif they are in differentlocations.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2010 9:33 AM, Swingman wrote:

What I use:

Microsoft Excel ... I wouldn't want to do what I do without it, from
keeping precise track of budgetary items as the are incurred multiple
times a day, to task lists, to punch lists.

It also works on my blackberry ...

Forgot to mention ... I roll my own spreadsheets, but there are
literally hundreds of "templates" that will get you started, mostly
free, plus you probably already own the program:

http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Iused to design databases many years ago. It has been awhile since I did
this sort of thing. I may have to clear out some old mental cobwebs and
revisit this area.

The ones I worked with were all the fill in the data field type. I assume
that there are some out there now that will allow a more text based
approach.

Since you have that background Lee, I might suggest Microsoft Access, or any
freeware of similar functionality. Access is not really a relational
database, but you don't really care about that. It's easy to develop
screens for input and all of the basic Add, Change, Delete capabilities.
You can just use the wizards to do it since you really don't care about
efficiency and all that. Functionality is what seems to really count in
your request. In what would come to really short minutes after you play
with it for an hour, you could create the look and feel that is intuitive to
you, and have all of the functionality you want, including update
capability, add-new, etc. Reporting capabilities can be used to view your
projects or maybe better said to review them to refresh yourself.

Over the years, I've used Access quite a bit just because it's there.
There's a lot one could say about it as a database tool - most not very
complimentary, but for simple needs - it works.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Go to www.fogbugz.com and read about their software bug tracking
tool. It allows you to organize tasks by project and priority and
tasks stay open until you close them. They've focused on keeping it
simple.

It's hosted online so you can get at it from anywhere with a network
connection. And for only two people, it's free!

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBugz/StudentAndStartup.html

We've been using it for a couple of years in our software development,
and we've started using it to keep track of non-software tasks as
well.

-Brian
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/19/2010 01:10 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
Anyone remember Dbase and Rbase for DOS? Rbase was probably the most
useful program I ever used under DOS.

Yep, more-so Dbase. Wrote quite a bit of Dbase code back in those days.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 19, 2:50*pm, Steve Turner wrote:
On 01/19/2010 01:10 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Anyone remember Dbase and Rbase for DOS? *Rbase was probably the most
useful program I ever used under DOS.

Yep, more-so Dbase. *Wrote quite a bit of Dbase code back in those days..

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

dBase rules. Nothing like 20 hour batch processing on an XT.
Went onto bigger RDMS's later.

Filemaker Pro is kinda cool for that sort of thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Practically *anything* will work, with only a little effort.

a text editor
a word processor (probable overkill, but 'outlining' could be useful
a spreadsheet program.

one file per project,
one line per line-item,
delete a line when done,
add a new line as needed.

better yet, in a spreadsheet, simply 'hide' the completed lines
and append new ones. Then you've got a full 'history' when the
project is done.

keep 'active' projects in one directory, 'completed' ones in another,
and 'dreams/ideas' (not yet started) in a third one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...

Since you have that background Lee, I might suggest Microsoft Access, or any
freeware of similar functionality. Access is not really a relational
database, but you don't really care about that.

Over the years, I've used Access quite a bit just because it's there.
There's a lot one could say about it as a database tool - most not very
complimentary, but for simple needs - it works.

I'll second that idea. I use Linux for most of my stuff, but Access is
the Windoze application that I still reboot to use. No equivalent in
Linux.

You _do_ know about Openoffice.org, and the database package that's part of
it, right?

Anyone remember Dbase and Rbase for DOS?

Oh yeah. Mostly FoxBase,though - made real dBase look like it was crawling.

programming cave was in the lowest level of the house,

Had a sign on the stairs. "I do my programming in dBasement."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-01-19 10:53:54 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
said:

I am trying to move up to a little more arganization

Possible Freudian slip there.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:36:01 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

[...]

How about a copy of GoldMine Software? It was considered the top of
the line contact management when I bought it. Lets you keep all sorts
of relational data about each item and play with it in interesting
ways. I never really used it like I thought I would, so it's for sale.
http://www.frontrange.com/goldmine/comparison.aspx might help.
Mine's v4, with manuals/training, etc.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:51:03 -0600, Robert Bonomi wrote:

I'll second that idea. I use Linux for most of my stuff, but Access is
the Windoze application that I still reboot to use. No equivalent in
Linux.

You _do_ know about Openoffice.org, and the database package that's part
of it, right?

Yep. Even tried to use it. Maybe the latest version is a little more
friendly. I'll look again when I have the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

I use both of those (KeyNote at work, TreePad at home because it runs
under CrossOver Office). They are also good organizational software but
with a bit of a different flavor than the MindManager software I recommended
last night. These are great tools for keeping track of reference material
or links to files organized in a coherent manner.

Azz Card File
http://www.azzcardfile.com/

Have to check that one out

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 190120101759261439%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
munications, Robert
Bonomi wrote:

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Our subscription system at work is still running in FoxBase...

"And therein lies a _tail_." *GRIN*