Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Off Topic: Organization Software?

Doug Winterburn wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...
Since you have that background Lee, I might suggest Microsoft Access,
or any freeware of similar functionality. Access is not really a
relational database, but you don't really care about that.
Over the years, I've used Access quite a bit just because it's there.
There's a lot one could say about it as a database tool - most not
very complimentary, but for simple needs - it works.

I'll second that idea. I use Linux for most of my stuff, but Access
is the Windoze application that I still reboot to use. No equivalent
in Linux. It works and it's easy to set up and modify a schema (do
they even use that word any more?).

PS: I started designing databases in 1965 or 66 using GEs IDS Codasyl
DBM. The one thing Access, or any relational DB, doesn't do very well
is represent many-to-many relationships. But, like C++ vs C, it's
"the in thing". Fortunately, most of us never need that kind of
capability. Access works fine.
Anyone remember Dbase and Rbase for DOS? Rbase was probably the most
useful program I ever used under DOS.

Tomboy notes works OK for me on linux:

http://projects.gnome.org/tomboy/

There's also a Windows version in the download section.