Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic: Organization Software?

Lee Michaels wrote:

I am appealing to the collective wisdom (and possible software knowledge)
of the Wreck.

I find myself in the midth of a large number of projects, both work
related and personal. They are have a lot of details that need to be
updated on a regular basis. All my "job pads" are taking up a lot of space
and rarely are
up to date. I, by nature, hate calanders and daily planners.

I don't need a calander, a planner or project manager. What I need is some
way to keep track of multiple activities and update them on a semi regular
basis. And ideally this would run on a computer. It can be simple.

I just need some way to make a lot of lists and keep them current. I
don't
need to include outside parties. Just me and my projects. Some way to
write down needed details and update them constantly.

Is there such a thing? Can this be adapted from something? I want off the
shelf and reasonable price. Will a shareware program work?

Paper approaches don't seem to work. It gets stacked up somewhere and
when I find it again, it is hopelessy out of date. And updating multiple
paper lists can be a chore. Particularyif they are in differentlocations.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

MindManager software from Mindjet.com. Couple that with the plug-in
ResultsManager from gyronix.com and you have a really complete organizer and
task tool. You can lay out a project from start to finish in MindManager,
then use ResultsManager to tell you what task is up next. Both companies
offer a 30 day trial; take it for a spin, it's worth a look. What you are
essentially doing is building a flowchart for each project, where you
identify the desired finished result, then step back to whatever level of
detail to what was required to get to that result. It's easier to use or
read about on their website with graphics than for me to explain.

Rob Leatham