Posted to rec.woodworking

Default vises

I just posted a thread called "vices" (misspelled) to r.b.p.w that has a
picture containing at least 5 vises.

I would appreciate if you may be able to identify them or comment on whether
they may be worth owning or not. To this point, I have been considering
Rockler's 9" quick-release vise for a front vise.

Thank you,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

I just posted a thread called "vices" (misspelled) to r.b.p.w that has a
picture containing at least 5 vises.

I would appreciate if you may be able to identify them or comment on
whether they may be worth owning or not. To this point, I have been
considering Rockler's 9" quick-release vise for a front vise.

Thank you,
Bill

For 30 years I have doing with out a permanent vise. I recall way back in
school the vises on the work benches having a wooden handle and something
like a 1/8 turn counter clockwise would release tension and allow forward
and backward movement without turning the handle. Closing the vise against
an object and turning the handle clockwise would reengage the handle and the
handle would again tighten. The vise also had a dog that would slide up.
That is what I would like to have now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

I used to use one quick-release vises too--at "The Boys Club of America",
now called
"The Boys and Girls Club of America" and briefly in high school. Seems like
they were at least 10" wide,
maybe more. I remember getting pinched by the wooden handle more than
once.

While, we are on the topic of vises--does it matter much what sort of wood
one
uses for the jaw clamps? It seems like if one uses hard maple, then it may
be
more likely to "dent" the work than a less dense wood. Anything to this?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

I used to use one quick-release vises too--at "The Boys Club of America",
now called
"The Boys and Girls Club of America" and briefly in high school. Seems
like they were at least 10" wide,
maybe more. I remember getting pinched by the wooden handle more than
once.

While, we are on the topic of vises--does it matter much what sort of wood
one
uses for the jaw clamps? It seems like if one uses hard maple, then it
may be
more likely to "dent" the work than a less dense wood. Anything to this?

Bill

If what you are clamping is not in there flat against the jaws you could
dent most anything regardless of the wood used for the faces of the vise.
As long as the jaws close correctly and you don't go Hercules with the vice
a hard wood should not be a threat... A vise does not need to be terribly
tight to be effective.

To demonstrate that point, check this vise out and the lack of cranking the
clamp to get a firm grip.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the video... Very cool

http://benchcrafted.com/vises-glide.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. Yes, I've seen his videos before.... smooooothe...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:27:35 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the video... Very cool
http://benchcrafted.com/vises-glide.htm

Neat video. Although, considering the type of vise the video was
promoting, it probably would have been prudent for them to remove the
iron, Record type vise in the background.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:48:38 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

I just posted a thread called "vices" (misspelled) to r.b.p.w that has a
picture containing at least 5 vises.

I would appreciate if you may be able to identify them or comment on whether
they may be worth owning or not. To this point, I have been considering
Rockler's 9" quick-release vise for a front vise.

Thank you,
Bill

The Rockler 9" looks similar to my Record (Made in England). These
vises are heavy so think about how it will be mounted. Avoid cast
parts made in China. Where the Rockler vise is made?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just posted a thread called "vices" (misspelled) to r.b.p.w that has a
picture containing at least 5 vises.

I would appreciate if you may be able to identify them or comment on
whether
they may be worth owning or not. To this point, I have been considering
Rockler's 9" quick-release vise for a front vise.

Thank you,
Bill

The Rockler 9" looks similar to my Record (Made in England). These
vises are heavy so think about how it will be mounted. Avoid cast
parts made in China. Where the Rockler vise is made?

IIRC, the Rockler I mentioned had 3 bolts supporting it from the bottom
(going
up through the top), it seems like there might be something through the rear
jaw too.
I'm planning 3" thick SYP, and the vise maximum is 2.75" so I'll be doing
some routing
to make room for it. Not sure how heavy it will be (7' by 30" or so, 3"
thick).
May need to create some sort of support to hold it on the DP to drill peg
holes.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just posted a thread called "vices" (misspelled) to r.b.p.w that has a
picture containing at least 5 vises.

I would appreciate if you may be able to identify them or comment on
whether
they may be worth owning or not. To this point, I have been considering
Rockler's 9" quick-release vise for a front vise.

Thank you,
Bill

The Rockler 9" looks similar to my Record (Made in England). These
vises are heavy so think about how it will be mounted. Avoid cast
parts made in China. Where the Rockler vise is made?

Just making a guess, I'd guess the Rockler's vises are made in China (but
that's just speculation).

I learned today that Record vises are BLUE (and for some reason, I was
hoping that these
were of that brand). But all of these vises are GREEN (see the pic in the
new vices thread I posted
yesterday to r.b.p.w). Does that give any clues as to brand (so I can start
doing my homework now)?
I'll go take a look first-hand next week.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

All of this thinking about vises has made me better appreciate how I better
darn-well plan how the undercarriage of the vise does not interfere with the
supporting structure of the workbench!

Thinking in terms of a "traditional woodworking workbench", up to this point
in my mind I was thinking that the front vise would sort of be in front of
the front leg of the bench... Oops! At least I haven't cut any wood yet. I
guess as long as the end of the bench overhangs the supporting structure by
18 inches or so I'll be okay, but it changes the picture I had in my minds
eye...
Attaching the front vise further from the end would seem to reduce
"racking".

Somehow I found my way to lumberjocks.com and found a lot of nice pictures
of projects there too. Anyone here signed up over there?

Best,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

I just posted a thread called "vices" (misspelled) to r.b.p.w that has a
picture containing at least 5 vises.

I would appreciate if you may be able to identify them or comment on
whether they may be worth owning or not. To this point, I have been
considering Rockler's 9" quick-release vise for a front vise.

Thank you,
Bill

After examining the picture I posted a little more, I noticed that most of
them appear to have "8/6" embossed on them--meaning 8" wide and 6" high, I
think. Typical woodworking vises seems to be more along the lines of 3.5"
high. 8/6 seems to be a non-standard size. Perhaps they are for a really
big bench. I'll probably go take a look, but my excitement about it has
waned. Rockler's quick-release vises seem to get good reviews, new
Jorgensens less so.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Bill wrote:
Thinking in terms of a "traditional woodworking workbench", up to this
point in my mind I was thinking that the front vise would sort of be in
front of the front leg of the bench... Oops! At least I haven't cut
any wood yet. I guess as long as the end of the bench overhangs the
supporting structure by 18 inches or so I'll be okay, but it changes
the picture I had in my minds eye... Attaching the front vise further
from the end would seem to reduce "racking".

I have a 10" Record vice on my bench. It is mounted outboard of the left
leg but hard up against it. It is fitted so that the rear jaw is under the
main top, which is 30mm thick, sufficient that 10mm of hardwood fitted as
the rear cheek, is then flush with the front edge of the top. This gives
an effective depth, above the the screw, of 130mm. Maximum opening is
355mm or about 14" The bench top extends to 25mm beyond the steelwork of
the vice but the hardwood cheeks match the top. This facilitates the
clamping of something which might be "L" shaped.

mill vises Wayne Metalworking 7 November 19th 08 01:50 AM
Paramo vises Michael Koblic Metalworking 6 July 5th 08 09:59 PM
Powdercoating of vises Ignoramus29659 Metalworking 14 June 18th 08 02:58 AM
Vises Ignoramus28622 Metalworking 23 December 15th 07 08:16 PM
woodworking vises Joseph Handy Woodworking 8 December 21st 06 02:11 PM