Posted to rec.woodworking

Default woodworking vises

What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft wood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Really good question......

I use Baltic Birch plywood and it's been ok.

Joseph Handy wrote:
What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft wood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft wood?

Hardwood would be better I would think. You wouldn't want the wood to
compress under the pressure of the vise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Isn't there a possibility that a very hard wood could cause a softer piece
of wood held within the vise to be compressed?

It would appear to me that it would be preferable to have the risk of damage
taken on by the pieces of wood covering the vise as they are easily replaced
with scrap whenever necessary.

"efgh" wrote in message

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft
wood?

Hardwood would be better I would think. You wouldn't want the wood to
compress under the pressure of the vise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joseph Handy wrote:
What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft wood?

Both.

It all depends on what you want to hold.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft wood?

Leather.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joseph Handy wrote:
What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft wood?

Always a hard hardwood.

If you need it softer, you can always pad a hard jaw more easily than
you can harden a soft one.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Wed 20 Dec 2006 12:21:36p, "Joseph Handy"
wrote in :

What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft
wood?

When I built my bench I had a nice piece of red oak for one of the vises
but the only piece of decent size for the other one was a hefty piece of
quartersawn pine that I got out of the freebie pile at a lumber yard. I put
it on intending to replace it when I got a better piece.

That was a couple years ago and I haven't noticed any difference in the two
of 'em. Maybe I'm not using it enough or something but so far, the only
thing I notice is I like the color of the oak better. That big chunk of
pine has a lot of mass and seems to take a beating pretty well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hard.

If either the jaw or the workpiece dents that means that you did something
wrong. You either overtightened, or you need to fabricate a jaw liner that
more evenly distributes pressure between both the jaw and the workpiece.

-Steve

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft wood?

Vises For Bandsaws Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 2 April 1st 06 07:32 PM
WOODEN VISES J T Woodworking 0 January 6th 06 02:02 AM
Workbench Vises Bob Martin Woodworking 2 April 2nd 05 03:52 PM
Workbench Vises Bob Martin Woodworking 0 April 2nd 05 08:57 AM