Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default woodworking vises

On Wed 20 Dec 2006 12:21:36p, "Joseph Handy"
wrote in :

What do you guys suggest for covering woodworking vises hard or soft
wood?

When I built my bench I had a nice piece of red oak for one of the vises
but the only piece of decent size for the other one was a hefty piece of
quartersawn pine that I got out of the freebie pile at a lumber yard. I put
it on intending to replace it when I got a better piece.

That was a couple years ago and I haven't noticed any difference in the two
of 'em. Maybe I'm not using it enough or something but so far, the only
thing I notice is I like the color of the oak better. That big chunk of
pine has a lot of mass and seems to take a beating pretty well.