Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default vises

"Leon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

I used to use one quick-release vises too--at "The Boys Club of America",
now called
"The Boys and Girls Club of America" and briefly in high school. Seems
like they were at least 10" wide,
maybe more. I remember getting pinched by the wooden handle more than
once.

While, we are on the topic of vises--does it matter much what sort of
wood one
uses for the jaw clamps? It seems like if one uses hard maple, then it
may be
more likely to "dent" the work than a less dense wood. Anything to this?

Bill

If what you are clamping is not in there flat against the jaws you could
dent most anything regardless of the wood used for the faces of the vise.
As long as the jaws close correctly and you don't go Hercules with the
vice a hard wood should not be a threat... A vise does not need to be
terribly tight to be effective.

To demonstrate that point, check this vise out and the lack of cranking
the clamp to get a firm grip.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the video... Very cool

http://benchcrafted.com/vises-glide.htm

Thanks. Yes, I've seen his videos before.... smooooothe...