Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mill vises

I want to pick up a mill vise for little bro who inherited
my old mill/drill.
Over 10 yrs ago I got the Enco vise, but it was so crooked
I returned it and got a Kurt. I don't know if the Enco's are
any better now. It seems there are lot of manufacturers that
I haven't heard of before charging Kurt prices.
So does anyone know of someone who makes something up
to $200 that is half way decent?

I just say no to ebay, so that isn't an option.

Thanks,
Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne wrote:
I want to pick up a mill vise for little bro who inherited
my old mill/drill.
Over 10 yrs ago I got the Enco vise, but it was so crooked
I returned it and got a Kurt. I don't know if the Enco's are
any better now. It seems there are lot of manufacturers that
I haven't heard of before charging Kurt prices.
So does anyone know of someone who makes something up
to $200 that is half way decent?

I bought a 6" Enco about a year ago. It's as
straight and flat as I can measure, +/- .0005

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne wrote:

I want to pick up a mill vise for little bro who inherited
my old mill/drill.
Over 10 yrs ago I got the Enco vise, but it was so crooked
I returned it and got a Kurt. I don't know if the Enco's are
any better now. It seems there are lot of manufacturers that
I haven't heard of before charging Kurt prices.
So does anyone know of someone who makes something up
to $200 that is half way decent?

I just say no to ebay, so that isn't an option.

I got a Palmgren lowboy once, the fixed jaw was out about .002"
in 4", shimmed it with a cigarette paper and it was good to go.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart has brought this to us :
Wayne wrote:
I want to pick up a mill vise for little bro who inherited
my old mill/drill.
Over 10 yrs ago I got the Enco vise, but it was so crooked
I returned it and got a Kurt. I don't know if the Enco's are
any better now. It seems there are lot of manufacturers that
I haven't heard of before charging Kurt prices.
So does anyone know of someone who makes something up
to $200 that is half way decent?

I bought a 6" Enco about a year ago. It's as
straight and flat as I can measure, +/- .0005

Do you recall the part#?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just did some web searches on used ones. The prices on the ones I saw
were high enough that I'd fork over a few more bucks and go new,
especially since I wouldn't be able to inspect them.
It was worth a look though.

Bill Noble formulated on Tuesday :

"Wayne" wrote in message
I want to pick up a mill vise for little bro who inherited
my old mill/drill.
Over 10 yrs ago I got the Enco vise, but it was so crooked
I returned it and got a Kurt. I don't know if the Enco's are
any better now. It seems there are lot of manufacturers that
I haven't heard of before charging Kurt prices.
So does anyone know of someone who makes something up
to $200 that is half way decent?

I just say no to ebay, so that isn't an option.

Thanks,
Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a used Bridgeport brand vise for sale. No round base. Just the
vise with handle. I will have to check if it has jaws, price depends
on that but I never ask for too much.

"Wayne" wrote in message
I want to pick up a mill vise for little bro who inherited
my old mill/drill.
Over 10 yrs ago I got the Enco vise, but it was so crooked
I returned it and got a Kurt. I don't know if the Enco's are
any better now. It seems there are lot of manufacturers that
I haven't heard of before charging Kurt prices.
So does anyone know of someone who makes something up
to $200 that is half way decent?

I just say no to ebay, so that isn't an option.

Thanks,
Wayne D.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd prefer the lockdown type. I should be seeing my older brother
tomorrow (the real machinist in the family) and see if he's used
one of the bridgeport types.

Ignoramus11212 formulated on Tuesday :

"Wayne" wrote in message
I want to pick up a mill vise for little bro who inherited
my old mill/drill.
Over 10 yrs ago I got the Enco vise, but it was so crooked
I returned it and got a Kurt. I don't know if the Enco's are
any better now. It seems there are lot of manufacturers that
I haven't heard of before charging Kurt prices.
So does anyone know of someone who makes something up
to $200 that is half way decent?

I just say no to ebay, so that isn't an option.

Thanks,
Wayne D.

Paramo vises Michael Koblic Metalworking 6 July 5th 08 09:59 PM
Powdercoating of vises Ignoramus29659 Metalworking 14 June 18th 08 02:58 AM
Vises Ignoramus28622 Metalworking 23 December 15th 07 08:16 PM
Lie-Nielsen Vises Never Enough Money Woodworking 13 May 4th 05 06:33 AM
Kurt mill vises at Boeing Surplus Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 1 August 22nd 04 03:34 AM