Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta 1/4 HP Stock Feeder Problem

Delta 38-850

This unit was loaned out and I think that it was run too hot.

Currently neither the wheels nor the fan will turn if the unit is too
cold.

When the shop warms up it will run but it is easy to stall.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
Delta 38-850

This unit was loaned out and I think that it was run too hot.

Currently neither the wheels nor the fan will turn if the unit is too
cold.

When the shop warms up it will run but it is easy to stall.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Nope, but just bought a replacement for my Delta BOSS 1/4 horse motor,
which was experiencing similar symptoms as your motor, only it was
smoking also, from:

http://myworld.ebay.com/tools-rule/

Bought online yesterday (12/09), it was confirmed shipped (by Weber
Woodworking?) and is already on it's way with a 12/14 UPS delivery date.

Might want to check these two sources out if push comes to shove.

Delta Service Net wanted $189 for the same motor, my cost from this ebay
source was $56 with shipping ... supposed to be a brand new Delta
branded motor?

We'll see ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Delta 38-850

This unit was loaned out and I think that it was run too hot.

Currently neither the wheels nor the fan will turn if the unit is too
cold.

When the shop warms up it will run but it is easy to stall.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Sounds like the oil in the bushings has started to gum up and
it's time to pull it apart, clean, and re-oil. This is less likely if
it has bearings but still a possible cause.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am not sure but I think my 8" Woodmaster W-408 planer is doing that as
we type. The gear assembly for the in feed / out feed assembly appears
to be running very slow. It has a grease fitting. I plan to try and
add a cold temp lubricate and see if that fixes anything.

Mike in Ohio

Tom Watson wrote:
Delta 38-850

This unit was loaned out and I think that it was run too hot.

Currently neither the wheels nor the fan will turn if the unit is too
cold.

When the shop warms up it will run but it is easy to stall.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:52:44 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson
scrawled the following:

Delta 38-850

This unit was loaned out and I think that it was run too hot.

Currently neither the wheels nor the fan will turn if the unit is too
cold.

When the shop warms up it will run but it is easy to stall.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

When you fry the bearings in a machine, things get tight until it
warms up. I'm willing to bet that someone did stall/overheat it.

Pop the motor off and see if the shaft turns when it's cold. Can you
pull it apart and check things out? Are those things worm drive?
Bushed or bearinged motor? Bushings react to overheating a lot more
quickly.

I'd ask what Delta said but know you wouldn't have been able to
contact anyone in China.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,

DELTA 36-865 Versa Feeder (power feeder) QuestionRockler is putting the Delta 36-865 power feeder on sale thisSaturday for $100 - normally about $300. This is the littleitty-bitty feeder - only 1/8th hp with a somewhat limited reach- but it weighs 2 charlieb Woodworking 14 January 4th 09 06:35 AM
VersaFeed stock feeder Eddie Munster Woodworking 0 January 17th 05 03:12 PM
power stock feeder Peter Woodworking 3 November 14th 04 02:25 AM
power stock feeder questions Ted Evans Woodworking 0 November 12th 04 02:07 AM
Delta Midi tail stock????????/ Joe Woodturning 4 September 22nd 03 10:24 PM