Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Delta 1/4 HP Stock Feeder Problem

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:52:44 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson
scrawled the following:

Delta 38-850

This unit was loaned out and I think that it was run too hot.

Currently neither the wheels nor the fan will turn if the unit is too
cold.

When the shop warms up it will run but it is easy to stall.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

When you fry the bearings in a machine, things get tight until it
warms up. I'm willing to bet that someone did stall/overheat it.

Pop the motor off and see if the shaft turns when it's cold. Can you
pull it apart and check things out? Are those things worm drive?
Bushed or bearinged motor? Bushings react to overheating a lot more
quickly.

I'd ask what Delta said but know you wouldn't have been able to
contact anyone in China.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,