Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Quick test to verify I can still post to rec.ww

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Mark & Juanita wrote in
m:

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

It seems to work! Comgratulations.

Now come and help support Obama! Please!

grin

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

--

It didn't work.

Back to the drawing board.

I feel your pain. Been through this little drama myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:26:54 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

What percentage of the problem was Windows?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 9:51 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in
messagenews:x7idnYjsAMTv7oXWnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@super news.com...

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

--

It didn't work.

Back to the drawing board.

I feel your pain. Been through this little drama myself.

Get a Mac.
-----------------

Real men use PC's.

Siisies, wimps and girlie men use macs.

beating chest and letting out Tarzan yell

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 9:51 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in
messagenews:x7idnYjsAMTv7oXWnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@super news.com...

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

--

It didn't work.

Back to the drawing board.

I feel your pain. Been through this little drama myself.

Get a Mac.

Why buy a Mac? You can actually repair a PC. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

At the bottom of the message window, there are two reply otions. Reply
and Reply to Sender,

In a case like this, does he really eed six replies to verify he can
post?

The responses drove this OP to the top of the "most active" list!

It is no wonder Microsoft has so many "issues" if it is marketing to
folks who can'r seem to get with the program!

Not that I favor Windows - I am trying to move to LINUX in the hope
that it will serve much as dis the original DOS. Nut may well move to
MAC/Apple if that doesn't work out rather then be forced to move to
Windows 7 when I get my next laptop.

As to the list, if we all reply to sender for such posts and for all
OT posts, the "most active" notices will be driven by Woodworking
issues - the list's raison d'etre, nes pas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
At the bottom of the message window, there are two reply otions. Reply
and Reply to Sender,

In a case like this, does he really eed six replies to verify he can
post?

The responses drove this OP to the top of the "most active" list!

It is no wonder Microsoft has so many "issues" if it is marketing to
folks who can'r seem to get with the program!

Not that I favor Windows - I am trying to move to LINUX in the hope
that it will serve much as dis the original DOS. Nut may well move to
MAC/Apple if that doesn't work out rather then be forced to move to
Windows 7 when I get my next laptop.

As to the list, if we all reply to sender for such posts and for all
OT posts, the "most active" notices will be driven by Woodworking
issues - the list's raison d'etre, nes pas?

This is your brain on Google Groups.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 9:51 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in
messagenews:x7idnYjsAMTv7oXWnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@super news.com...

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

--

It didn't work.

Back to the drawing board.

I feel your pain. Been through this little drama myself.

Get a Mac.
-----------------

Real men use PC's.

Real men use Linux on PC's. Unfortunately, I got to exercise that manhood this week. What started out as a problem not having working DNS turned into a full system re-build. Have most apps back now, I think I'm only missing Blender and VariCAD.

Siisies, wimps and girlie men use macs.

beating chest and letting out Tarzan yell

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

What percentage of the problem was Windows?

0%. I run Linux. My wife's computer is an iMAC and we have one PC that our son uses running Windows.

I'm not sure what happened to cause the problem. DNS stopped working on the Linux box and no adjustments to network settings would fix it. Sooo, went with an attempt to repair the system that started a downward spiral breaking even more stuff and ended up having to re-install the OS. That meant that I also got to re-install a fair number of applications and libraries. The good news was this did clean up the OS partition significantly. The sad thing is that I had resisted upgrading to OpenSuse 11.2 because 11.1 is working just fine and I didn't want to have to re-install lots of apps and libraries.

No data was lost during this exercise -- that was the one bright spot.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Having /home on a separate partition is the key to that, or it at least
makes it relatively easy.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

wrote:

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.
What percentage of the problem was Windows?

0%. I run Linux. My wife's computer is an iMAC and we have one PC that
our son uses running Windows.

.... snip

No data was lost during this exercise -- that was the one bright spot.

Having /home on a separate partition is the key to that, or it at least
makes it relatively easy.

Yep.

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 9:32*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 9:51 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in
messagenews:x7idnYjsAMTv7oXWnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@super news.com...

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

--

It didn't work.

Back to the drawing board.

I feel your pain. Been through this little drama myself.

Get a Mac.

Why buy a Mac? *You can actually repair a PC. *;~)

That is because PC's need to be repaired...often....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Why buy a Mac? You can actually repair a PC. ;~)

That is because PC's need to be repaired...often....

My experience, 23 years with a PC, 2 repairs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 5:13*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Why buy a Mac? You can actually repair a PC. ;~)

That is because PC's need to be repaired...often....

My experience, 23 years with a PC, 2 repairs.

Well, there ya go. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Real men use Linux on PC's. Unfortunately, I got to exercise that
manhood this week. What started out as a problem not having working
DNS turned into a full system re-build. Have most apps back now, I
think I'm only missing Blender and VariCAD.

Went through that exercise today. I downloaded a DNS benchmark analyzer and
found that my ISP's DNS resolver was 54th on the list in speed. I changed my
DNS server list to the two fastest on the list and things seem to be a bit
peppier - especially those pages that try to load 108 varying
advertisements.

The tester I used is he
http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I agree with you about Linux. To my mind, Linux users are like the Celtic
warriors hired by the medieval English kings: Fierce as hell, loyal to a
fault, single-minded in their goals.

You just wouldn't want them to actually, you know, RUN things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
At the bottom of the message window, there are two reply otions. Reply
and Reply to Sender,

In a case like this, does he really eed six replies to verify he can
post?

The responses drove this OP to the top of the "most active" list!

It is no wonder Microsoft has so many "issues" if it is marketing to
folks who can'r seem to get with the program!

Not that I favor Windows - I am trying to move to LINUX in the hope
that it will serve much as dis the original DOS. Nut may well move to
MAC/Apple if that doesn't work out rather then be forced to move to
Windows 7 when I get my next laptop.

As to the list, if we all reply to sender for such posts and for all
OT posts, the "most active" notices will be driven by Woodworking
issues - the list's raison d'etre, nes pas?

You're confused because you're accessing the newsgroup via that horrid web
interface called "Google Groups." I really can't see how you can master
Linux if you can't master a newsreader.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

.... snip

The tester I used is he
http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Thanks, just bookmarked that

I agree with you about Linux. To my mind, Linux users are like the Celtic
warriors hired by the medieval English kings: Fierce as hell, loyal to a
fault, single-minded in their goals.

You just wouldn't want them to actually, you know, RUN things.

:-)

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when
they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway
and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop
about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start
their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the
runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of
printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket
yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench
and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable
seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a
single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell
customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can
say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"