Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dicksons Quick Change Tool Post?????

Found at the Guthrie tool swapmeet this weekend, a very large three piston
(one per side) square tool post. Crawford collets are noted on the tag.
About 4" tall and 5" square. Anyone know anything about these guys? One
HECK of a doorstop.
Thanks,
Ron Moore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-19, Ron Moore wrote:
Found at the Guthrie tool swapmeet this weekend, a very large three piston
(one per side) square tool post.

Are you sure that these are *pistons* to press? In my
experience, they are T-bolt heads to pull the holder towards the
toolpost. The post has two male 'V's per side (mine has only two sides,
not the three that yours has) and is smaller on an Emco-Maier
Compact-5/CNC lathe. The male 'V's on the toolpost fit into two female
'V's in the holders, and there is a vertical T-slot in between the two
female 'V's to accept the heads of what you are calling pistons.

Unlike the usual piston style toolposts, this locks up with
greater rigidity because it pulls two widely separated support surface
pairs together.

For my 12x24" Clausing, I have the wedge style toolpost, and for
the Compact-5/CNC I have the Dickson style (mine branded EMCO), and
consider both to be quite rigid. The one inconvenience to the Dickson
style in my opinion is that it needs a special wrench to be moved from
cam to cam to lock the different tool holder stations.

Crawford collets are noted on the tag.
About 4" tall and 5" square.

Not sure about the Crawford collets, but the Dickson toolposts
are from England, and one size (smaller than what you appear to have) is
common on the Myford lathes.

Anyone know anything about these guys? One
HECK of a doorstop.

You have what I know about them above.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2008-05-19, Ron Moore wrote:

[...]

We have several similar toolposts in our shop at work. There are
several different makers, all pretty much to the same plan. For the most
part, the toolholders interchange between posts of a similar size.

Any markings?

If I remember, I'll check the names on the ones we have. Made in
Italy, IIRC. Definately not Dixon, but of that design.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don,
I'll bet you're right on the way the "pistons" work. I was wondering how
the pressure was working but you're way makes sense. Now if I can just
figure out what to do with it. Maybe mount a Unimat on it for stability.
Thanks again,
Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The label on it has:

DICKSONS
QUICK CHANGE
TOOL POSTS
CRAWFORD
COLLETS
WITNEY (Flag) OXON
TEL: 01993-703931

I'm definitely gonna need a bigger lathe! I wonder if I can use this for an
excuse with SWMBO?
Ron

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
SNIP

We have several similar toolposts in our shop at work. There are several
different makers, all pretty much to the same plan. For the most part, the
toolholders interchange between posts of a similar size.

Any markings?

If I remember, I'll check the names on the ones we have. Made in Italy,
IIRC. Definately not Dixon, but of that design.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Ron,

The Dicksons have another unique feature, in that they "lock' the
height adjust at the same time they lock the tool-holder. Dorians and
Phase II and all the others depend on your dropping the tool holder
onto the post and that it contacts the height-adjust plate atop the
tool-post correctly.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Tue, 20 May 2008 13:10:44 -0500, "Ron Moore"
wrote:

Don,
I'll bet you're right on the way the "pistons" work. I was wondering how
the pressure was working but you're way makes sense. Now if I can just
figure out what to do with it. Maybe mount a Unimat on it for stability.
Thanks again,
Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Ron,

The Dicksons have another unique feature, in that they "lock' the
height adjust at the same time they lock the tool-holder. Dorians and
Phase II and all the others depend on your dropping the tool holder
onto the post and that it contacts the height-adjust plate atop the
tool-post correctly.

I think that is not quite correct, both the Dickson and Bison (Dickson
copy) toolholders I have are fitted with a threaded stud into the top of
the toolholder, the height adjustment knob screws onto this stud and
into the top of the knob is threaded a square headed set screw. The
height adjustment knob can be locked at the desired height by tightening
the set screw against the top of the stud. The locking cam pulls the
tophat plunger in to pull the toolholder to the toolpost and at the top
of the cam is a shelf that the height adjustment knob rests on.

wrote:

Don,
I'll bet you're right on the way the "pistons" work. I was wondering how
the pressure was working but you're way makes sense. Now if I can just
figure out what to do with it. Maybe mount a Unimat on it for stability.
Thanks again,
Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

I think that is not quite correct, both the Dickson and Bison (Dickson
copy) toolholders I have are fitted with a threaded stud into the top of
the toolholder, the height adjustment knob screws onto this stud and
into the top of the knob is threaded a square headed set screw. The
height adjustment knob can be locked at the desired height by tightening
the set screw against the top of the stud. The locking cam pulls the
tophat plunger in to pull the toolholder to the toolpost and at the top
of the cam is a shelf that the height adjustment knob rests on.

In addition to that, there are usually some spare clamping screws
floating about the place in the package (or there should be :-) )

These can or should be used from the top of the adjusting nut to lock
the adjustment as proof against heavy handednes in use, which can cause
the adjustments to creep a bit, each time the tool is changed.

Less variables is better! :-)

The 2 identical units at work are labeled "Rapid Original" and
something in (I'm guessing) Italian that looks like it should translate
to about the same as Rapid Original. They are identical for the most
part. The toolholders will fit the Dickson toolpost on our Colchester,
which uses toolholders that are quite a bit larger overall, and we have
one very large (7"x7"x 8"h or so) unit with no markings at all.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 21:16:01 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

SNIP

I think that is not quite correct, both the Dickson and Bison (Dickson
copy) toolholders I have are fitted with a threaded stud into the top of
the toolholder, the height adjustment knob screws onto this stud and
into the top of the knob is threaded a square headed set screw. The
height adjustment knob can be locked at the desired height by tightening
the set screw against the top of the stud. The locking cam pulls the
tophat plunger in to pull the toolholder to the toolpost and at the top
of the cam is a shelf that the height adjustment knob rests on.

Hey David,

Hmmm....maybe we are in agreement...not sure.

All my Dickson toolholders have a height adjustment that is shaped
like a spool like thread comes on. The "upper" edge of the spool is
knurled and used to set the height of the tool-holder. The "bottom"
of the spools sits atop a "shelf" of the locking cam on the tool-post
block. This cam also has an "upper" shelf , which straddles the lower
spool edge to assure the location.

Is that what you meant?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 21:16:01 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Same with mine and you explained what I called a knob much better. I was
taking the height adjustment lock to be the set screw into the spool but
the spool is formed to lock the height adjuster.
Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.