Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Troubleshooting magnetic start switch (MA-15) on Grizzly G1023S tablesaw

This forum was helpful in troubleshooting my problem, so I wanted to
contribute my findings.

I've had a Grizzly G1023S for about 6 years. It's a fantastic saw,
but it stopped running yesterday. I pressed the start button, and for
a fraction of a second it got juice, then nothing. I wasn't able to
get anything after that point.

Here is the troubleshooting process I should have used:
- Use a multimeter to verify 240V at the wall. Should be approx 240V.
- Open the magnetic start switch (If you look very closely at the
bottom of the switch, the word "open" is molded into the plastic.
Push there.)

With the saw plugged into the 240V outlet:
- Use a multimeter to verify the voltage between L1 and ground.
Should be approx 120V.
*** THIS WAS MY PROBLEM ***
- Use a multimeter to verify the voltage between L3 and ground.
Should be approx 120V.

With the saw unplugged:
- Verify the resistance between the ground on the plug and ground
inside the switch (should be approx 0 Ohms)
- Verify the resistance between one power prong on the plug and L1
inside the switch (should be approx 0 Ohms)
*** THIS WAS MY PROBLEM ***
- Verify the resistance between the other power prong on the plug and
L3 inside the switch (should be approx 0 Ohms)

This confirmed my problem. I checked the length of the power cord,
and it was all intact. I knew it must be in the plug. When I opened
the end of the plug, I found the red wire was broken where it connects
to the power prong. I wired up a replacement and I'm back in
business.

I hope this helps someone else.