Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Artist or Engineer

Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both?
For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the population of
this forum.

More than ever, I keep getting inclinations that I should be drawing and
drafting.
I think I can draw better than people who can't. ; ) My dad was a civil
engineer
who made copious plans for "everything". His buddy was a civil engineer
who
made projects (mostly "rustic stuff") by the seat of this pants!

I may try SketchUp (motivated by the recent "How To Design Furniture"
publication
by Taunton Press). I didn't think the 4-page introduction to the software
was detailed enough--but it was nice to learn about the (free) software. I
may give it a
try it in a few minutes...just to see whether it may be worthwhile for me.
I can
hardly wait gulp! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Bill if you would like to see what you can do with Sketchup I can send you a
file of the bedroom furniture towers that I designed and posted pictures of
on a.p.b.w.

I have had formal drafting instruction when drawings were only done on a
drawing board. I never perused that profession but kept an interest in it
to help with my building projects. I have been using a CAD program of some
type since 1986. Up until last year I had used AutoCAD LT since 1997.

Sketchup is it for me now and I will probably never go back to the more
expensive CAD programs.

The investment to learn Sketchup is well worth your time and that time will
be less if you have any drafting back ground. Suddenly with Sketchup you
can draw in perspective 3D with very little effort with or with out CAD
experience.

One thing that is critical to remember is that you want to draw all of your
3D parts separately and then convert them into components. If you simply
draw lines and connect them they are very difficult to separate. If the
part you draw is a component you can easily move it and assemble your
project much like an erector set.

There are a few of us here that will be glad to help you with any questions
that you may have about Sketchup.

Basically for wood working this is going to be the easiest and most
competent program to design your projects.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Basically for wood working this is going to be the easiest and most
competent program to design your projects.

Way cool program.

I posted my first result with SketchUp at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, as Subject: First SketchUp (pdf file),
in case anyone wants to see what you can do with it in an hour or so...

I have a LOT to learn, but the potential is evident...

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you make things that work - and don't worry about
what it looks like - you're probably an engineer.

If you make things that look pleasing to the eye
or hand - but it doesn't actually "do" anything
- you're probably and artist.

If you THINK you make things that work
and
THINK you make things that are pleasing
to the eye
neither of which may actually be true
- you're probably an architect.

Fortunately, somewhere, there's a craftsman
who can add or fix what each of the others
overlooked - or ignored.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 10:12*pm, charlieb wrote:
If you make things that work - and don't worry about
what it looks like - you're probably an engineer.

If you make things that look pleasing to the eye
or hand - but it doesn't actually "do" anything
- you're probably and artist.

If you THINK you make things that work
and
THINK you make things that are pleasing
to the eye
neither of which may actually be true
- you're probably an architect.

Fortunately, somewhere, there's a craftsman
who can add or fix what each of the others
overlooked - or ignored.

We need a like button on the wreck, just like in Facebook.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both?
For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the
population of this forum.

I think there is a mix. Numerous like the "doing" and planning, others
groove on the result. I like the result.
_____________

More than ever, I keep getting inclinations that I should be drawing
and drafting.

A. Something simple = no plans

B. Something more complex = "plans"
1. Get a mental picture of desired result.
2. Get yellow legal pad
3. Doodle the parts, not to scale, and dimension same
4. Doodle as necessary how the parts will attach to each other
5. Cut parts
6. Join parts

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

I am neither, my method of building is to work out a design
mentally and when I think I have all the major points worked
out in my head, I start cutting and assembling. The details
just seem to work their self out as I go along.

I usually pick one or two functions of the piece at hand and
work out the sizing and proportions from there, this works
great for free standing furniture.

I tend to lean toward the utilitarian side and the designs aren't
overly complex to begin with.

My method of working has it downside of course, it will fail
miserably with kitchen cabinets, DAMHIKT.
There are places where planning and drawing it out is
essential to success.

Even on small run production items I will build one to the point of
dry assembly, knock it down and then make my patterns and
jigs. I dislike repetitive work, after about ten of something it
quits being fun and becomes labor and I avoid this kind of
work unless I'm trying to make a few quick $.

I have a love hate relationship with sketchup(damn does anyone know
how to turn off the snap to midpoint), but the hate part is
lessening the more I learn about SU, Goodluck.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Neither artist nor engineer. Ham-fisted amateur would be close to the truth.

My growing up years were spent on a farm, - we were taught to use whatever
we had available to construct something we needed, whether it be from wood
or steel. Function took precedence over form.
Still does for me.
I think those early years helped me to attain the ability to visualise a
number of ways to construct things with regard to what I have at hand, -
ultimately selecting one and building it.
I have never drawn up plans for anything. Doubtless there are those who
would say that the appearance of my work makes that quite apparent : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

litteratuer wrote:
Neither artist nor engineer. Ham-fisted amateur would be close to the
truth.

My growing up years were spent on a farm, - we were taught to use
whatever we had available to construct something we needed, whether it
be from wood or steel. Function took precedence over form.
Still does for me.
I think those early years helped me to attain the ability to visualise a
number of ways to construct things with regard to what I have at hand, -
ultimately selecting one and building it.
I have never drawn up plans for anything. Doubtless there are those who
would say that the appearance of my work makes that quite apparent : )

You wouldn't by chance be a Red Green fan, would you? :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill:
I was a trained draftsman in a previous life so I tend to plan most
projects to a certain extent. When I say "draftsman" I was trained
at a drafting table using drafting instruments of the day. I did get
some CAD training in later years but moved into some writing and
management jobs before I got a chance to use the CAD tools much.

Planning includes some sort of graphic representation of the project
and a list of materials. I currently keep some of my old drafting
tools near a small drafting table in the basement; and some of the
tools are in my workshop. Smaller projects are planned on a clipboard
in the shop. As projects become more complex, I resort to the
drafting equipment. Instead of vellum or mylar drawings I usually do
a scaled and fairly detailed layout or "shop sketch" on a sheet of 24"
or 30" poster board which is cheap and durable when I hang it on the
wall of the shop. I am artistic by nature but art and drafting are
two different disciplines. I sometimes say I do a half-a**'ed job at
both. When a board drawn shop sketch gets to the shop I refer to it
often, and modify it as needed. Sometimes the modifications reflect
my artistic side; sometimes I'm fixing screw-ups.

Had I come along a few years later, I would probably be using Sketch
Up or a CAD tool of some kind. While I consider CAD pretty
interesting, I would rather be using my time building, not learning
software. Contrary to some people's belief, a trained board draftsman
can put lines on paper (and move them) pretty fast. In my earlier
life we made a lot of design changes on a change order pad while
working with an aircraft technician in the hangar. Also, I would say
that about 50-70% of my projects get planned on the clipboard.

To summarize: planning to some level is essential to successful
projects. But don't let the planning methods override your
woodworking creativity. Visualize, think, sketch, make sawdust

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

If you THINK you make things that work
and
THINK you make things that are pleasing
to the eye
neither of which may actually be true
- you're probably an architect.

You just nailed it, bubba!!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
litteratuer wrote:
Neither artist nor engineer. Ham-fisted amateur would be close to the
truth.

My growing up years were spent on a farm, - we were taught to use
whatever we had available to construct something we needed, whether it
be from wood or steel. Function took precedence over form.
Still does for me.
I think those early years helped me to attain the ability to visualise
a number of ways to construct things with regard to what I have at
hand, - ultimately selecting one and building it.
I have never drawn up plans for anything. Doubtless there are those
who would say that the appearance of my work makes that quite
apparent : )

You wouldn't by chance be a Red Green fan, would you? :-)

He didn't mention duct tape...

- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
litteratuer wrote:
Neither artist nor engineer. Ham-fisted amateur would be close to the
truth.

My growing up years were spent on a farm, - we were taught to use
whatever we had available to construct something we needed, whether it be
from wood or steel. Function took precedence over form.
Still does for me.
I think those early years helped me to attain the ability to visualise a
number of ways to construct things with regard to what I have at hand, -
ultimately selecting one and building it.
I have never drawn up plans for anything. Doubtless there are those who
would say that the appearance of my work makes that quite apparent : )

You wouldn't by chance be a Red Green fan, would you? :-)

Too high tech for me ; )

(Had to look it up ...... I'm on the other side of the globe)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Basically for wood working this is going to be the easiest and most
competent program to design your projects.

Way cool program.

I posted my first result with SketchUp at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, as Subject: First SketchUp (pdf file),
in case anyone wants to see what you can do with it in an hour or so...

I have a LOT to learn, but the potential is evident...

Bill wrote:
pdf attached

also posted on abpw

Excellent first effort ... take to heart what Leon said on the wRec
about making component parts ... the secret to using SU effectively for
woodworking projects.

With regard to whether your proclivity is "artist" or "engineer",
oftentimes you have no choice.

Attached is a pdf of the SketchUp file I did last year during the
planning stages of the South wall of a kitchen, and a photo of that
recently finished South wall, 8 months later.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/southwall.pdf
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/southwall.jpg

A good illustration of what you can do with the free program,
particularly when you have a client involved in the design and they
actually end up getting what they saw during the planning stage.

Makes for a happy client, and good referrals ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
charlieb wrote:

If you THINK you make things that work and
THINK you make things that are pleasing
to the eye
neither of which may actually be true
- you're probably an architect.

You just nailed it, bubba!!!

You meat me to it Swingman! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Attached is a pdf of the SketchUp file I did last year during the
planning stages of the South wall of a kitchen, and a photo of that
recently finished South wall, 8 months later.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/southwall.pdf
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/southwall.jpg

A good illustration of what you can do with the free program, particularly
when you have a client involved in the design and they actually end up
getting what they saw during the planning stage.

Makes for a happy client, and good referrals ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

That is darn impressive. Thank you for sharing it. I saved a copy to show
my wife so she can see that I'm not just screwing around! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote

That is darn impressive. Thank you for sharing it. I saved a copy to
show my wife so she can see that I'm not just screwing around! ; )

Let us know if that works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Attached is a pdf of the SketchUp file I did last year during the
planning stages of the South wall of a kitchen, and a photo of that
recently finished South wall, 8 months later.

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/southwall.pdf
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/southwall.jpg

A good illustration of what you can do with the free program, particularly
when you have a client involved in the design and they actually end up
getting what they saw during the planning stage.

Makes for a happy client, and good referrals ....

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

That is darn impressive. Thank you for sharing it. I saved a copy to show
my wife so she can see that I'm not just screwing around! ; )

Hell, if you want, I'll send you the entire kitchen SketchUp file ... it
is about 4.4MB, a heavy lift for many mail servers.

I also posted links in the past to some "dynamic component", kitchen
wall and base cabinets that you can change the dimensions of ... real
handy when fitting cabinets into a pre-existing space. I'll cehck my
server to see if they're still on line.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
If you make things that work - and don't worry about
what it looks like - you're probably an engineer.

If you make things that look pleasing to the eye
or hand - but it doesn't actually "do" anything
- you're probably and artist.

If you THINK you make things that work
and
THINK you make things that are pleasing
to the eye
neither of which may actually be true
- you're probably an architect.

Fortunately, somewhere, there's a craftsman
who can add or fix what each of the others
overlooked - or ignored.

But how does Kelly Johnson fit into all of this? The SR-71 works fine as a
piece of abstract art and half a century later is still the fastest airplane
in the world, so it clearly works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

We need a like button on the wreck, just like in Facebook.

Like! g

BTW, you're well hidden on FB.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

If you use a pink hammer you're probably an artist.

LdB

Are most woodworkers artists or engineers

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:43:05 -0400, "Bill"
wrote:

Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both?
For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the population of
this forum.

More than ever, I keep getting inclinations that I should be drawing and
drafting.
I think I can draw better than people who can't. ; ) My dad was a civil
engineer
who made copious plans for "everything". His buddy was a civil engineer
who
made projects (mostly "rustic stuff") by the seat of this pants!

For some the planning and drawing portion of the project is an
enjoyable endeavor itself or at least part of the process as a whole,
for others it's a means to an end.

I'm definitely more on the artist side of things, even though I
studied to be an engineer and was terrible in art classes. I'll do a
drawing in sketchup to help me visualize, because I can think in 2D
easily enough but I have a harder time keeping everything straight in
3D. But I don't model everything, just enough so that I have a pretty
good idea of what needs to be done, and where I can start and how much
I can do that has to be done regardless of what comes next, and then
the saw dust starts to fly. Then I have something tangible to work
with along with my partial drawing. I like going into the shop
without knowing all the answers, so that I'm free to make changes as I
go along.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 9:43*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

I can't speak for 'most' woodworkers, but I seldom do anything without
making a drawing first.
Where that drawing goes, or to what extent I develop it (3D) depends
on the project.
I draw 1 or 2 full size kitchens per week, some of those get the whole
3D photographic-grade rendering if the job and/or client warrants that
kind of hand-holding. Often they're just plan views to be sent to a
cabinet manufacturer for pricing.
Sometimes my drawings are my models to be machined directly from the
data they contain.
Those plan-type of drawings is all I need for countertop pricing as my
program gives lineal inches of edges, square feet of material and they
become a white-board for further instructions as I do the templating
on the actual job-site.
Drawings are tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 9:50*am, Swingman wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:
We need a like button on the wreck, just like in Facebook.

Like! *g

BTW, you're well hidden on FB.

Strange, I just looked up my privacy settings and everyone should be
able to see me. And I am the only Luigi Zanasi on FB, "Luigi Dena
Ch'ŏ Zanasi", which also includes my Kaska First Nations Name, given
to me by an elder a few months ago.

I do have two other former? wreckers as friends (O'Deen & Groggy).

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have degrees in Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering,
Chemistry, and paint with watercolor on paper. I guess I'm both and
hopelessly addicted to woodworking and mountain hiking. I found
myself flustered with most software programs and use an obsolete
drafting table with T-square, French curves, and triangles. Certainly
not against computers, but It works well for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I can't speak for 'most' woodworkers, but I seldom do anything without
making a drawing first.

Those plan-type of drawings is all I need for countertop pricing as my
program gives lineal inches of edges, square feet of material and they
become a white-board for further instructions as I do the templating
on the actual job-site.

Past few years I've gotten the same way. "Time" is such a big factor
that any of my time spent on drawing/planning generally pays for itself
two or three times over down the road - in cutting back on mistakes,
with scheduling where getting a thing done on "time", means the next guy
up can get his job done, and with waste and as in "... why the hell do
we have all those tubafours/tile/whatever left over?"

Drawings are tools.

Probably the most important tool in the construction process ... in the
final analysis, lack of a detailed drawing/plan will _always_ end up
being the single most expensive item in the project.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm glad I'm not the only one. If you want someone to build you a computer
I'm your guy. But if you want someone to use a computer to draw pictures
look elsewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm a retired engineer. I can't design a round hole without creating
a Pro-E model of it first :-)

One time when our daughter was about 9 or 10 she needed a birdhouse
made for a school project. I asked what kind of birds are suppose to
live in it? How big will it need to be? Will it have a roof with a
peak or will it just have a single slope? She responded with "I don't
know but let's go to the shop start cuttin'." At that point I began
to wonder if she was mine :-)

Gordon Shumway

One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that
it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
We need a like button on the wreck, just like in Facebook.

Like! g

BTW, you're well hidden on FB.

Strange, I just looked up my privacy settings and everyone should be
able to see me. And I am the only Luigi Zanasi on FB, "Luigi Dena
Ch'ŏ Zanasi", which also includes my Kaska First Nations Name, given
to me by an elder a few months ago.

I do have two other former? wreckers as friends (O'Deen & Groggy).

Luigi

Operator problem on this end ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I can't speak for 'most' woodworkers, but I seldom do anything
without
making a drawing first.

I have been accused of not being able to find the bathroom without a
blueprint.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

Basically for wood working this is going to be the easiest and most
competent program to design your projects.

Way cool program.

I added "materials" today... light wood finish. Neat-o! Later I went to
it's "3-D Warehouse" to see if there
was a vise.... Let's just say lots of folks got there before me. Pretty
cool.

http://sketchup.google.com if you haven't tried it yet. Start by watching
some tutorials. It's a cools video game...I haven't yet figured out how to
position the chair I downloaded (it's seems to want to live at the origin)

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

I added "materials" today... light wood finish. Neat-o! Later I went to
it's "3-D Warehouse" to see if there
was a vise.... Let's just say lots of folks got there before me. Pretty
cool.

http://sketchup.google.com if you haven't tried it yet. Start by watching
some tutorials. It's a cools video game...I haven't yet figured out how
to position the chair I downloaded (it's seems to want to live at the
origin)

Typically when you download a file it simply follows your cursor around
until you click some where on the screen, then you can move it to where ever
you want. If it seems to want to be some where in particular it could be
that it has a Google Earth location. That may want to place it in a
specific location. I'm guessing here. Try down loading something else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Basically for wood working this is going to be the easiest and most
competent program to design your projects.

Way cool program.

I added "materials" today... light wood finish. Neat-o! Later I went to
it's "3-D Warehouse" to see if there
was a vise.... Let's just say lots of folks got there before me. Pretty
cool.

http://sketchup.google.com if you haven't tried it yet. Start by watching
some tutorials. It's a cools video game...I haven't yet figured out how to
position the chair I downloaded (it's seems to want to live at the origin)

Bill

I downloaded the videos that Google puts out at
http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html I found them invaluable
in introducing me to some of the power of the program.

As Leon and Swingman pointed out, one of the most important early tricks
is to make components early and often. It saves a ton of time later on
down the road.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
I may try SketchUp (motivated by the recent "How To Design Furniture"
publication

I made, virtually with SketchUp, the first workbench I was thinking about
building.
I posted 3 pdf files (front, side, bottom) in the thread Second SketchUp at
the usenet
group a.b.p.w.

The dimensions are 30" by 30" by 7'. Please let me know what comments you
may
have about the design, from what you can see.

My first thought is that I need to make the top a little longer than the
base so I can get in
one of those "reinforcing pieces" on each end (to better support the top).
By the way,
doing this exercise generated a number of questions in my mind (which is a
good thing!).

Any thoughts welcome!
Thanks,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote

Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both?
For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the population of
this forum.

I think that an engineer's mindset is essential but a touch of artistry is
desirable.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Jeff Gorman" wrote in
:

"Bill" wrote

Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both?
For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the
population of this forum.

I think that an engineer's mindset is essential but a touch of
artistry is desirable.

Jeff

Escher and/or Escher in reverse?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think this is an instance of a false dichotomy.

Any activity practiced at the highest level becomes an art and the
artisan and artist share more in common than their linguistic roots.

The woodworker needs to incorporate both and, in the words of a famous
woodworker:

"Theory without practice is sterile practice without theory is blind."

Karl Marx

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 8, 3:28*am, "Jeff Gorman" wrote:
"Bill" wrote

Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both?
For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the population of
this forum.

I think that an engineer's mindset is essential but a touch of artistry is
desirable.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
ISP is clara.co.ukwww.amgron.clara.net

The vision of an artist plus the discipline and learned foundation of
an engineer, makes for a Bauhaus full of stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

For a rule to be a good rule - it has to have
at least one exception. Kelly Johnson, who
used Seymore Butts on his secret missions
airline tickets, is suely an exception to the rules.
Anyone whose job is in The Skunk Works HAS
to be an exception - to probably EVERY rule.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 8, 7:53*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 8, 3:28*am, "Jeff Gorman" wrote:

"Bill" wrote

Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both?
For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the population of
this forum.

I think that an engineer's mindset is essential but a touch of artistry is
desirable.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
ISP is clara.co.ukwww.amgron.clara.net

The vision of an artist plus the discipline and learned foundation of
an engineer, makes for a Bauhaus full of stuff.- Hide quoted text -

I think that you can be neither and still be a woodworker -- if the
only things you make are from premade plans, then you aren't doing any
design, and thus it's not engineering, and you aren't doing anything
overly creative, so it's not really art. If, on the other hand you do
your own designs, and the design is both functional and asthetically
pleasing, then you are an artist and an engineer.

Seeing as most woodworkers make custom stuff, I would say most are
both.

John