Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Artist or Engineer

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:43:05 -0400, "Bill"
wrote:

Are most woodworkers artists or engineers, or neither, or both?
For the sake of narrowing the field, feel free to assume the population of
this forum.

More than ever, I keep getting inclinations that I should be drawing and
drafting.
I think I can draw better than people who can't. ; ) My dad was a civil
engineer
who made copious plans for "everything". His buddy was a civil engineer
who
made projects (mostly "rustic stuff") by the seat of this pants!

I may try SketchUp (motivated by the recent "How To Design Furniture"
publication
by Taunton Press). I didn't think the 4-page introduction to the software
was detailed enough--but it was nice to learn about the (free) software. I
may give it a
try it in a few minutes...just to see whether it may be worthwhile for me.
I can
hardly wait gulp! ; )

Bill

I have degrees in Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering,
Chemistry, and paint with watercolor on paper. I guess I'm both and
hopelessly addicted to woodworking and mountain hiking. I found
myself flustered with most software programs and use an obsolete
drafting table with T-square, French curves, and triangles. Certainly
not against computers, but It works well for me.