Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refurbishing an old deck

Hello,

I'm in the process of refurbishing an old 16' X 20' PT deck.

So far, I've removed and discarded all of the old 2" X 6" decking. The
framing members are still in good shape, so they are being reused. In the
process, I'm also going to lower it by 3" or 4" to allow for a snow gap
below an existing 6' slider on the house.

Originally, the deck ran 16' along the house and extended out into the yard
20'. What I am doing is turning it so that the 20' length will now be up
against the house and the 16' depth will extend into the yard. I'm also
sliding it over into a corner where there is about a 5' jog from an attached
garage. This will involve installing new ledgers. One 20' along the house
and one 5' where the garage jogs out into the yard. BTW, the original
installation held up and surprisingly didn't rot anything along the house,
even though it wasn't flashed. Does anyone have any pointers or preferences
on attaching a ledger to the house? I've read about many methods and seen
all sorts of new gadgets for doing so, but just wanted to get a feel for
what others have used.

As for the decking, I was hoping to use IPE. When looking at the prices of
some of the "designer" composite materials, using IPE doesn't seem too
extravagant. The actual size of the decking will depend upon the cost of the
material. I suppose that either 3 1/2" or 5 1/2" would be the norm. Any pros
or cons to one choice over the other?

On a similar note, I've read about some of the hidden fastening systems,
such as Deckmaster or Eb-Ty. I do like the idea of not having to pre-drill
holes on the face side of the decking. I think that it just looks nicer
without the screws showing, although the budget may dictate otherwise. What
are some of the preferred methods of attaching the decking?

Lastly, does anyone know of a reliable and affordable source for IPE in CT?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:

Lastly, does anyone know of a reliable and affordable source for IPE in CT?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Not in Connecticut but take a look at:

http://www.ipedepot.com/

The business is about 3 miles from my home. The owner, Rob Pelc used to
post on this news group. Rob owns both "Ipe Depot" and "Advantage Trim
& Lumber Co."

http://www.advantagelumber.com/

I buy the majority of my lumber from Advantage. They're good people to
deal with and Rob has his own truck line that ships all over the country.

http://www.ipedepot.com/shipping.htm

Disclaimer - Not associated with Advantage Lumber or Ipe Depot other
than being a satisfied customer.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in message

The actual size of the decking will depend upon the cost of the material.
I suppose that either 3 1/2" or 5 1/2" would be the norm. Any pros or cons
to one choice over the other?

Less fasteners needed for the wider board, and IMO, it looks better.

On a similar note, I've read about some of the hidden fastening systems,
such as Deckmaster or Eb-Ty. I do like the idea of not having to pre-drill
holes on the face side of the decking. I think that it just looks nicer
without the screws showing, although the budget may dictate otherwise.
What are some of the preferred methods of attaching the decking?

Check out McFeely's web site for sme ideas.

Lastly, does anyone know of a reliable and affordable source for IPE in
CT?

It has been a few years, but Chase Lumber carried it and the price was
reasonable They are in three or four locations, Woodstock, Willington are
two I know of.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 10:41*am, "Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote:
Hello,

I'm in the process of refurbishing an old 16' X 20' PT deck.
Does anyone have any pointers or preferences
on attaching a ledger to the house? I've read about many methods and seen
all sorts of new gadgets for doing so, but just wanted to get a feel for
what others have used.

I cut off the siding (skilsaw with blade projecting a little less than
just enought) and I used good old fashioned 5/16" lag bolts (5" long)
into each stud (predrilling 1/4" hole). I did use flashing & the
joists were installed with joist hangers.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote:

I'm in the process of refurbishing an old 16' X 20' PT deck.

Might want to talk to some of these folks.

North East Ohio (Akron, Lorain, etc) for example is less than 500
miles from CT.

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/recycled_plastic.htm

There are several outfits suppling reclaimed material such as tires
for decks, etc.

Totally clueless Pricing.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

These people are in Norristown, PA.

E-mail:

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 3:11*pm, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:41*am, "Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote:

Hello,

I'm in the process of refurbishing an old 16' X 20' PT deck.
Does anyone have any pointers or preferences
on attaching a ledger to the house? I've read about many methods and seen
all sorts of new gadgets for doing so, but just wanted to get a feel for
what others have used.

I cut off the siding (skilsaw with blade projecting a little less than
just enought) and I used good old fashioned 5/16" lag bolts (5" long)
into each stud (predrilling 1/4" hole). I did use flashing & the
joists were installed with joist hangers.

After the ledger, rim joist, and sill rotted out on my last house I
decided to make the dec free standing. I flashed then replaced the
siding below the 6' slider (over the new rim joist) before replacing
the deck. I left about an inch between the deck and the house for air/
water/snow. That part of the deck worked out very well.