Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refurbishing a garden seat

I have a wooden garden seat with cast iron ends. The ends have been
painted many times, but are now in a sorry state. The best approach
would be to strip all the paint off and start again.

(This brought back memories of when ah were a lad, when we would tek us
cast iron bits to t' foundry, slip t'foreman 'alf a crown, and he would
dunk t'bits into summat, and they would emerge as bright as a new pin).

In the absence of a local foundry, any ideas for stripping off the
paint? Nitromors? Something else?

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
In the absence of a local foundry, any ideas for stripping off the
paint? Nitromors? Something else?

Electrolysis in a caustic solution? (random guess, no experience)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
I have a wooden garden seat with cast iron ends. The ends have been
painted many times, but are now in a sorry state. The best approach
would be to strip all the paint off and start again.

(This brought back memories of when ah were a lad, when we would tek
us cast iron bits to t' foundry, slip t'foreman 'alf a crown, and he
would dunk t'bits into summat, and they would emerge as bright as a
new pin).
In the absence of a local foundry, any ideas for stripping off the
paint? Nitromors? Something else?

Stick 'em on top of a bonfire for a few hours, remembering to allow slow
cooling?

Criticising the government is not illegal, but on investigation often
turns out to be linked to other offences

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 1:51*pm, Ian wrote:

I have a wooden garden seat with cast iron ends. The ends have been
painted many times, but are now in a sorry state. The best approach
would be to strip all the paint off and start again.

(This brought back memories of when ah were a lad, when we would tek us
cast iron bits to t' foundry, slip t'foreman 'alf a crown, and he would
dunk t'bits into summat, and they would emerge as bright as a new pin).

In the absence of a local foundry, any ideas for stripping off the
paint? Nitromors? Something else?

If youre not willing to use paint striper, the primary cheap
alternative is a mild solution of caustic soda in wallpaper paste. It
only attacks some paint types though, and I've little idea what's on
your metalwork.

There's also a rotary wire brush, but I wouldnt normally want to put
that much work into something that wont save you a bean. As has been
said, charring the paint would make it come off easier - but would
mean it all had to come off then.

NT