Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing vs Refurbishing

Hope I am not beginning to sound like a flatulent senior citizen
(that's an old fart for those in Loma Linda).

I have started to do some rather small wood projects and of course, do
need some basic tools to do this beyond hand held tools, hence my
"Just Three" previous post - the responses there were very helpful in
deciding what to get. Having said this, what is the basic difference
between "refinishing and refurbishing" a piece of furniture. Case in
point, I recently sanded and added new hardware to a cedar chest my
daughter bought at a garage sale - came out pretty good (I'll post a
few pics in a few days at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking). My next
project is to repair an old secretary type desk with a roll up front
that was discarded in front of a house that was being gutted for a
"flip" and sale. The desk needs extensive repair and of course
sanding, staining and varnishing. It may just be a matter of
semantics, but the definitions in my old college dictionary did not
satisfy my curiosity.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray
===

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 11:31 am, "Ray Katzaman" wrote:
I have started to do some rather small wood projects...

Hello Ray...
Rebuilding solid wood projects from the past is satisfying, but is
also the most comprehensive way for a novice to learn and appreciate
wood structures and design. When possible, I knock the piece
completely apart. In its component parts, it is much easier to
refurbish the wood and implement any necessary repairs. Your
opportunity to learn is greatly enhanced, and you get to refit and
glue all the joints.