Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planer question BAD ADVICE!

Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 14, 11:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
Robatoy wrote in
Yet if everyone in here went out to check their table saw guards
(except those foolish enough to remove them),
Any idea how many here HAVE removed their TS guards?
All serious table saw users have at one time or another removed the
guard from their saw. So, the real questions a How many serious
table saw users do we have here, and does removing the guard make you a
serious table saw user?
Puckdropper

There are obviously techniques for which one has to remove the guard.
Not putting it back on is lazy and like I said, foolish. I won't
apologize for saying that.

I find it ironic that the guy, who's admonishment of the OP for pulling
the guard off his jointer precipitated the bulk of the debate in this
thread, now has seemingly* taken offense to me criticizing the same thing.

THIS is 'seemingly' my taking 'offense'?
======================
Any idea how many here HAVE removed their TS guards?

======================

How do you reach that conclusion?
You have NO idea how I feel about TS guards, on my- or others' saws.

You're making **** up out of whole cloth. With what purpose did you
just do that?

Holy cow, I went out of my way to give you the benefit of the doubt,
which you omitted.
I should've worded it better and for that, I apologize.

I figure the civility with which I've conducted this debate from the
beginning would've warranted the same from you, when in fact I could've
said from the very beginning that you're full of it... but didn't. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 12:24*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 14, 11:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

For that I am supposed to be grateful? Or are you pretending to be
sanctimonious?

You're a Glenn Beck fan, ain'tcha?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 15, 12:24 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 14, 11:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Smiley face. Lighten up.

The lengths people will go to keep from admitting they were wrong... and
for such a trivial thing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 2:33*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 15, 12:24 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 14, 11:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

You ARE a Glen Beck fan!!! Kinda figured as much.

You see... I was NOT wrong. MY jointer grabs a board when I try to
pull it backwards.
Fact.
Now YOU, who does not have that happen on YOUR jointer, is trying to
tell ME that it doesn't happen on MY jointer.
Which makes YOU full of ****...not me.

Are you getting this yet Big Guy?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 15, 2:33 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 15, 12:24 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 14, 11:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Ahh, you got your little feelings hurt and now you're lashing out.

Let me use little words and short sentences so you can understand.

I never said it didn't happen with your jointer.

You said the following...
"The porkchop shaped guard works as a cam and will stop a normal piece
of wood from flying backwards."
"If set up properly, the cam action will impede the movement backwards."

In the context of these two quotes, you were referring to jointers in
general, not your own.

A bunch of guys report back that it doesn't work their jointers.
More guys report they can't find reference anywhere of anti-kickback
ever being mentioned as a purpose or benefit of the blade guard.
You still claim you are not wrong, because it works on yours.

Who's full of it?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Sep 14, 8:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

There are obviously techniques for which one has to remove the guard.
Not putting it back on is lazy and like I said, foolish. I won't
apologize for saying that.

I find it ironic that the guy, who's admonishment of the OP for pulling
the guard off his jointer precipitated the bulk of the debate in this
thread, now has seemingly* taken offense to me criticizing the same thing.

(*seemingly, because I'm not for certain why it was said, so I can't go
any further than to point out the potential irony.) :-)

I'm the guy with the (sometimes) guardless jointer. What's that law
about a discussion that devolves down to the point of "nazi" being
uttered? Only this time, it's Glenn Beck!
Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 3:35*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[drivel snipped]

Ahh, you got your little feelings hurt and now you're lashing out.

Let me use little words and short sentences so you can understand.

Shall I get you a saucer of milk?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 4:15*pm, tom wrote:
On Sep 14, 8:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

There are obviously techniques for which one has to remove the guard.
Not putting it back on is lazy and like I said, foolish. *I won't
apologize for saying that.

I find it ironic that the guy, who's admonishment of the OP for pulling
the guard off his jointer precipitated the bulk of the debate in this
thread, now has seemingly* taken offense to me criticizing the same thing.

(*seemingly, because I'm not for certain why it was said, so I can't go
any further than to point out the potential irony.) :-)

I'm the guy with the (sometimes) guardless jointer. What's that law
about a discussion that devolves down to the point of "nazi" being
uttered? *Only this time, it's Glenn Beck!
Tom

Come on now, there is a difference. Isn't there?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 3:35*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 15, 2:33 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 15, 12:24 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 14, 11:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Whose jointer was I talking about? Obviously not yours.
But, hey, bro'... if you want to stick to your assumptions, go for it.
I'm done here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
On Sep 14, 8:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

There are obviously techniques for which one has to remove the guard.
Not putting it back on is lazy and like I said, foolish. I won't
apologize for saying that.

I find it ironic that the guy, who's admonishment of the OP for pulling
the guard off his jointer precipitated the bulk of the debate in this
thread, now has seemingly* taken offense to me criticizing the same thing.

(*seemingly, because I'm not for certain why it was said, so I can't go
any further than to point out the potential irony.) :-)

I'm the guy with the (sometimes) guardless jointer. What's that law
about a discussion that devolves down to the point of "nazi" being
uttered? Only this time, it's Glenn Beck!

Godwin's Law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Sep 15, 1:29 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 15, 4:15 pm, tom wrote:

I'm the guy with the (sometimes) guardless jointer. What's that law
about a discussion that devolves down to the point of "nazi" being
uttered? Only this time, it's Glenn Beck!
Tom

Come on now, there is a difference. Isn't there?

I haven't watched his show, so I'm not sure. How do you feel about
this Glenn Beck guy? Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 4:15 pm, tom wrote:
I'm the guy with the (sometimes) guardless jointer. What's that law
about a discussion that devolves down to the point of "nazi" being
uttered? *Only this time, it's Glenn Beck!
Tom

Come on now, there is a difference. Isn't there?

I haven't watched his show, so I'm not sure. How do you feel about
this Glenn Beck guy? *Tom

An ex-drinker, aka a 'dry drunk' like George W Bush, and now will say
anything to suck up to the redneck right-wing fundy lunatic Fox crowd.
NOT that there is anything wrong with that. A guy has to make a
living... no matter how.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-15, Robatoy wrote:

anything to suck up to the redneck right-wing fundy lunatic Fox crowd.

I never heard of him, either, but when I did a google search and found
this down at the bottom....

Searches related to: glen beck

rush limbaugh michael savage sean hannity

.....it became pretty clear where the Godwins Law reference came in.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Robatoy wrote in
:

On Sep 14, 9:08 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Yet if everyone in here went out to check their table saw guards
(except those foolish enough to remove them),

Any idea how many here HAVE removed their TS guards?

All serious table saw users have at one time or another removed the
guard from their saw. So, the real questions a How many serious
table saw users do we have here, and does removing the guard make you a
serious table saw user?

Well, I never installed the factory guard on my 3 HP cabinet saw... opted to
put a Biesemeyer T-Splitter on instead and it is highly unusual for me to
not have it in place while making through cuts (exceptions are using the
sled or the tenon jig). The 1.5 HP contractor saw before that started with
the factory guard but it was such a nasty item to work with I took it off
and shortly there after replaced it with a T-Splitter... Having been whacked
twice by kickbacks that occurred when I was tired and didn't have a splitter
installed is enough to convince me that it should be there. I don't use the
guards over the blade though as I think being able to see what I'm doing and
being able to use a push stick on narrow pieces are pretty important issues.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
On Sep 14, 8:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

There are obviously techniques for which one has to remove the guard.
Not putting it back on is lazy and like I said, foolish. I won't
apologize for saying that.

I find it ironic that the guy, who's admonishment of the OP for pulling
the guard off his jointer precipitated the bulk of the debate in this
thread, now has seemingly* taken offense to me criticizing the same thing.

(*seemingly, because I'm not for certain why it was said, so I can't go
any further than to point out the potential irony.) :-)

I'm the guy with the (sometimes) guardless jointer. What's that law
about a discussion that devolves down to the point of "nazi" being
uttered? Only this time, it's Glenn Beck!
Tom

lol :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
[...]

That T-Splitter thing is kind of like keeping the guard, but just taking
off the shield, right?

Since it's still guarding against half the potential danger, I'd say
it's only half foolish. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:
[...]

It's more like having a quick release riving knife with anti-kick back pawls
that is convenient enough to use that it actually gets used... All that
guard stuff that is cumbersome to remove and replace and/or interferes with
push sticks is what ends up in the drawer or trash.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Dateline Hesperia, CA

Quite a brouhaha in this high desert community east of Los Angeles.

A bank has put up a billboard in Spanish as part of a campaign to
attract new customers.

The "Whitey" element is screaming that the billboard is "un-American".

blah blah blah - SNIP

Oh yeah? Well chew on this one for a while:

Subj: Moving to Mexico

I can't stand it anymore, so I'm moving on if Obama can pull some
strings for me. Hope they have some nice golf courses in Mexico

Dear Mr. President:

I'm planning to move my family and extended family into Mexico for my
health, and I would like to ask you to assist me.

We're planning to simply walk across the border from the U.S. Into
Mexico , and we'll need your help to make a few arrangements. We plan
to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas
and laws.

I'm sure they handle those things the same way you do here. So, would
you mind telling your buddy, President Calderon, that I'm on my way
over?

Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care for my entire family.
2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might
need, whether I use them or not.
3. Please print all Mexican government forms in English.
4. I want my grandkids to be taught Spanish by English-speaking
(bi-lingual) teachers.
5. Tell their schools they need to include classes on American culture
and history.
6. I want my grandkids to see the American flag on one of the flag
poles at their school.
7. Please plan to feed my grandkids at school for both breakfast and lunch.
8. I will need a local Mexican driver's license so I can get easy
access to government services.
9. I do plan to get a car and drive in Mexico , but, I don't plan to
purchase car insurance, and I probably won't make any special effort
to learn local traffic laws.
10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo
from their president to leave me alone, please be sure that every
patrol car has at least one English-speaking officer.
11. I plan to fly the U.S. Flag from my house top, put U S. Flag
decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do
not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.
12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, or
have any labor or tax laws enforced on any business I may start.
13. Please have the president tell all the Mexican people to be
extremely nice and never say a critical things about me or my family,
or about the strain we might place on their economy.
14. I want to receive free food stamps.
15. Naturally, I'll expect free rent subsidies.
16. I'll need Income tax credits so although I don't pay Mexican
Taxes, I'll receive money from the government.
17. Please arrange it so that the Mexican Gov't pays $ 4,500 to help
me buy a new car.
18. Oh yes, I almost forgot, please enroll me free into the Mexican
Social Security program so that I'll get a monthly income in
retirement.

I know this is an easy request because you already do all these
things for all his people who come to the U.S. From Mexico . I am
sure that President Calderon won't mind returning the favor if you ask
him nicely.

Thank you so much for your kind help. You're the man!!!

Joe Hall

LaQuinta, CA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote:

blah blah blah - SNIP

Oh yeah? Well chew on this one for a while:

Okay, you repost a blow hard like Joe Hall which is fine, but it
solves nothing and more to the point what is/are your suggestion(s) to
address the problem?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Steve Turner" wrote:

blah blah blah - SNIP

Oh yeah? Well chew on this one for a while:

Okay, you repost a blow hard like Joe Hall which is fine, but it solves
nothing and more to the point what is/are your suggestion(s) to address
the problem?

Claymores along the border.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

Claymores along the border.

The folks at LAX might have a problem with that.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 16, 1:12*pm, Jack Stein wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
You're a Glenn Beck fan, ain'tcha?

I wasn't talking to you, you ****ing misguided douche-nozzle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

You're a Glenn Beck fan, ain'tcha?

Smiley face. Lighten up.

The lengths people will go to keep from admitting they were wrong... and
for such a trivial thing.

You ARE a Glen Beck fan!!! Kinda figured as much.

You see... I was NOT wrong. MY jointer grabs a board when I try to
pull it backwards. Fact.
Now YOU, who does not have that happen on YOUR jointer, is trying to
tell ME that it doesn't happen on MY jointer.

Which makes YOU full of ****...not me.

Seems it doesn't work for anyone else either, and, more important,
doesn't seem to be a design feature of ANY ones jointer except yours,
and, Glenn Beck has nothing to do with any of it.

My Delta wouldn't stop kick back either, but fortunately, in 33+ years
of jointing with it, I never experienced kick back. Counting me and
the other guy with 40 years w/o kickback, that would be 73 years
experience w/o kickback.
Just a thought, but perhaps that's why the guards are not designed to
stop something that just doesn't happen.

Are you getting this yet Big Guy?

Everyone gets it dude, you must be an Obama supporter, and obviously
full of ****.

--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ==== Government Motors!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Robatoy wrote in
:

On Sep 14, 9:08 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Yet if everyone in here went out to check their table saw guards
(except those foolish enough to remove them),

Any idea how many here HAVE removed their TS guards?

All serious table saw users have at one time or another removed the
guard from their saw. So, the real questions a How many serious
table saw users do we have here, and does removing the guard make you a
serious table saw user?

No TS I've used even came with one (old iron). I don't want one either,
they look damned dangerous to me. Norm never uses one, but thats just
for TV (right!) and I don't *think* David Marks used one on TV either.
Scott Phillips uses one and watching him makes a guard look dangerous.
Like I said, I personally never used one, and I'm (33 years so far)
always VERY respectful when using the saw, but I can see as I age, the
likelihood of me screwing up and cutting off a finger, a hand, or even
an arm is getting better. Not just age, but less usage. I still think
a guard would be a waste of time for me, I would be better off getting a
saw stop, but then that can wait until it's too late:-)

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I never said it didn't happen with your jointer.

You said the following...
"The porkchop shaped guard works as a cam and will stop a normal piece
of wood from flying backwards."
"If set up properly, the cam action will impede the movement backwards."

In the context of these two quotes, you were referring to jointers in
general, not your own.

He sure sounded like it to me...

A bunch of guys report back that it doesn't work their jointers.

My pork chop guard doesn't do anything on my jointer either, I actually
had to go down to the shop to check, just like everyone else.
Fortunately, whacking off 1/16th at a time doesn't seem to cause much
kick back....

More guys report they can't find reference anywhere of anti-kickback
ever being mentioned as a purpose or benefit of the blade guard.
You still claim you are not wrong, because it works on yours.

Who's full of it?

My guess is he's an Obama supporter, does that help you at all?

--
Jack
Got Change: Capitalism ===== Collectivism!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
What's that law
about a discussion that devolves down to the point of "nazi" being
uttered? Only this time, it's Glenn Beck!
Tom

Come on now, there is a difference. Isn't there?

Yeah, one is a Right wing American capitalist, and one is a Left wing
NAZI Socialist.

--
Jack
Got Change: Individual Control ===== Government Control!
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

I don't use the guards over the blade though as I think
being able to see what I'm doing and being able to use a push stick on
narrow pieces are pretty important issues.

I guess that's how I feel about too. I'm sure the Obama supporters are
wringing their collective hands in fear though, not that there is
anything wrong with that, they have to bitch about something!

--
Jack
Got Change: Private Property ===== Government Property!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 12:07*am, "CW" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Sep 14, 9:08 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Yet if everyone in here went out to check their table saw guards (except
those foolish enough to remove them),
Any idea how many here HAVE removed their TS guards?

I didn't remove mine. I never put it on.

I've tried using a saw with a guard a couple times and have come to
the conclusion that it is decidedly unsafe for this woodworker. A
riving knife, OTOH, is a godsend. WRT the jointer, I pretty much
always keep it on.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
You're a Glenn Beck fan, ain'tcha?

I wasn't talking to you, you ****ing misguided douche-nozzle.

You talking to ME?

Very poor Travis Bickle imitation. Try it in front of a mirror.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
You're a Glenn Beck fan, ain'tcha?

I wasn't talking to you, you ****ing misguided douche-nozzle.

You talking to ME?
--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ====== Government Motors!
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 02:31:27 GMT, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Steve Turner" wrote:

blah blah blah - SNIP

Oh yeah? Well chew on this one for a while:

Okay, you repost a blow hard like Joe Hall which is fine, but it
solves nothing and more to the point what is/are your suggestion(s) to
address the problem?

Open season on illegals and attorneys?

---
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 30, 7:59 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:07:37 -0700, the infamous "CW"
scrawled the following:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Sep 14, 9:08 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Yet if everyone in here went out to check their table saw guards (except
those foolish enough to remove them),

Any idea how many here HAVE removed their TS guards?

I didn't remove mine. I never put it on.

Dina, my old 1920 tablesaur, came without a guard, a riving knife, and
she's a real gaper. No zero-clearance here. She passes the nickel
test if you count vibrating a flat nickel off her top. Some day
I'll straighten that motor shaft...

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels

I didn't have a nickel to test my saw, so I taped 5 pennies together.
It passed! (thanks, JOAT!) Tom

Planer question Dick Snyder Woodworking 1 March 16th 06 09:06 PM
planer question louis Woodworking 3 January 18th 06 02:03 AM
Another planer question JuanKnighter Woodworking 2 June 22nd 05 09:03 PM
planer question Dan-o Woodworking 10 December 23rd 04 04:31 AM