Dan-o

Default planer question

I need to square some rough sawn 18" to 24" long 6" x 6" blocks. Would a
planer work well for this job? Also please recommend a good planer for this
type of work. Thanks in advance.

Leon

"Dan-o" wrote in message
I need to square some rough sawn 18" to 24" long 6" x 6" blocks. Would a
planer work well for this job? Also please recommend a good planer for
this
type of work. Thanks in advance.

Maybe, If the wood is square and straight to start with you can probably
get away with just a planer.

If they are not straight or square to start with you are going to need a
jointer to square 2 adjacent sides. and then the planer to smooth up the
opposite sides.

J. Clarke

Dan-o wrote:

I need to square some rough sawn 18" to 24" long 6" x 6" blocks. Would a
planer work well for this job? Also please recommend a good planer for
this
type of work. Thanks in advance.

If you're only going to get one tool you want a jointer, not a planer. A
jointer and a planer together would make short work of the job, but if you
can only afford one then it would be the jointer.

For the size you're using one of the inexpensive Delta benchtop models would
do fine, but if you can afford the price and the space you'd do better to
go with a floor-standing model.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Duane Bozarth

Dan-o wrote:

I need to square some rough sawn 18" to 24" long 6" x 6" blocks. Would a
planer work well for this job? Also please recommend a good planer for this
type of work. Thanks in advance.

As Leon noted, "maybe"...I'll amplify slightly.

At that thickness they'll not distort too much as would flat material so
if they're not too bad to start with an initial pass that just barely
takes any material off will begin to establish an initial flat. Get one
side well started to where it won't rock and then take the other side
down, then finish up the first. That will get you two parallel sides.
You'll then have to square up one side with these to finish the job.
That will take some hand operation of some sort to true up the first
side. A jointer would be fastest (but, of course) if you had one of
those you would have used it to start w/ to begin with, so you'll have
to either hand plane or make an initial pass on the table or bandsaw to
get close and then finish up.

Unless they're a really hard exotic, most any of the current planers
should be able to handle them--it's really quite remarkable what a fine
job most of these little guys do any more.
BillyBob

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

side. A jointer would be fastest (but, of course) if you had one of
those you would have used it to start w/ to begin with, so you'll have
to either hand plane or make an initial pass on the table or bandsaw to
get close and then finish up.

I don't think he'll get very far on 6x6 material with a table saw, at least
not without pinching up his undies tight.

Bob

Duane Bozarth

BillyBob wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

side. A jointer would be fastest (but, of course) if you had one of
those you would have used it to start w/ to begin with, so you'll have
to either hand plane or make an initial pass on the table or bandsaw to
get close and then finish up.

I don't think he'll get very far on 6x6 material with a table saw, at least
not without pinching up his undies tight.

I certainly would have no problem w/ mine, albeit it would take two
passes...
Duane Bozarth

BillyBob wrote:

I don't think he'll get very far on 6x6 material with a table saw, at least
not without pinching up his undies tight.

As noted elsewhere, I wouldn't have any problem w/ mine, but given the
obvious level of OP, probably shouldn't have suggested it here...

Dan

On Wed 22 Dec 2004 06:44:01p, "CW" wrote in
:

I have a planer. Probably never will own a jointer. There are a number of
effective methods to joint wood put thickness planing is a pain by hand.

I'm not going to say I'll NEVER have a jointer but it keeps moving further
and further down my wish list. I'm finding I do just fine with a hand plane
and the thickness planer. Sometimes I do edge jointing with the table saw,
usually with a plane. I'd like to have one, but there's still so many toys
I can justify better than the jointer, which at this point would only save
me time, and not a lot of it at that.

I can't think of a way to easily get boards to a uniform thickness that
doesn't involve a planer or a drum sander - which actually is higher on my
list of wannahaves than a jointer is.

If I found a decent jointer at a good price at an auction - then all bets
are off. I'm not that strong.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 03:45:10 GMT, Dan wrote:

[...]

first I bought a lunchbox planer. then I inherited a 6" jointer. I
upgraded it to an 8" one. then I bought a thickness sander. one of
these days I want to get a bigger thickness planer....