Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Planer question BAD ADVICE!

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:
All serious table saw users have at one time or another removed the
guard from their saw. So, the real questions a How many serious
table saw users do we have here, and does removing the guard make you a
serious table saw user?

Well, I never installed the factory guard on my 3 HP cabinet saw... opted
to put a Biesemeyer T-Splitter on instead and it is highly unusual for me
to not have it in place while making through cuts (exceptions are using
the sled or the tenon jig). The 1.5 HP contractor saw before that started
with the factory guard but it was such a nasty item to work with I took
it off and shortly there after replaced it with a T-Splitter... Having
been whacked twice by kickbacks that occurred when I was tired and didn't
have a splitter installed is enough to convince me that it should be
there. I don't use the guards over the blade though as I think being able
to see what I'm doing and being able to use a push stick on narrow pieces
are pretty important issues.

John

That T-Splitter thing is kind of like keeping the guard, but just taking
off the shield, right?

Since it's still guarding against half the potential danger, I'd say it's
only half foolish. :-)

It's more like having a quick release riving knife with anti-kick back pawls
that is convenient enough to use that it actually gets used... All that
guard stuff that is cumbersome to remove and replace and/or interferes with
push sticks is what ends up in the drawer or trash.

John