Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Forged Craigslist scam checks

On Apr 20, 5:41*pm, Tom Veatch wrote:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:43:11 -0400, Gerald Miller

wrote:
Dunno about the hew hess of hay but up here in snowland, the issuing
bank will not cash its own check if you don't have an account there.
At least this was my experience.

First I've heard of that. Sounds like you may have gotten a new,
inexperienced teller. A bank cashing a check drawn by one of their
depositors is performing a service for their customer, not for you.

I ran into something similar back in '62, in NYC. Deposited my
paycheck in a Chemical Bank branch in the Wall St. area. Got uptown
and realized I was nearly broke. Tried to cash a check at an uptown
bank and got turned down.

Closed out the account Monday. I haven't trusted a bank since.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

That is a good bank not to have an account with. Some local banks
around here refused to open an account for me, since my only income
is a monthly VA disability.

Just curious, have you ever considered direct deposit?

At the bank that refused to open an account?

I used direct deposit at my last job, because that was all they
offered, after the first paycheck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

At the bank that refused to open an account?

Pick one you like.

I used direct deposit at my last job, because that was all they
offered, after the first paycheck.

It has a lot of advantages, IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

At the bank that refused to open an account?

Pick one you like.

I tried. The couple bank brancehs on this end of town weren';t
interested. That is why I stuck with the Credit Union. The VA has no
problem with direct desposit to my Credit Union and it saves me $5 a
month in fees.

I used direct deposit at my last job, because that was all they
offered, after the first paycheck.

It has a lot of advantages, IMHO.

Yes, you got your pay a day or two early with that company's direct
deposit

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 20, 6:55*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

* At the bank that refused to open an account?

Pick one you like.

* *I tried. *The couple bank brancehs on this end of town weren';t
interested. *That is why I stuck with the Credit Union. *The VA has no
problem with direct desposit to my Credit Union and it saves me $5 a
month in fees.

* I used direct deposit at my last job, because that was all they
offered, after the first paycheck.

It has a lot of advantages, IMHO.

* *Yes, you got your pay a day or two early with that company's direct
deposit

Ours is a couple of days later (Monday vs. Friday) with direct
deposit. It's still easier, particularly since our CU is 1000mi from
here. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

At the bank that refused to open an account?

Pick one you like.

I tried. The couple bank brancehs on this end of town weren';t
interested. That is why I stuck with the Credit Union. The VA has no
problem with direct desposit to my Credit Union and it saves me $5 a
month in fees.

I used direct deposit at my last job, because that was all they
offered, after the first paycheck.

It has a lot of advantages, IMHO.

Yes, you got your pay a day or two early with that company's direct
deposit

Ours is a couple of days later (Monday vs. Friday) with direct
deposit. It's still easier, particularly since our CU is 1000mi from
here. ;-)

That's still faster than depositing it yourself, and not as tiring.,
;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

It seems to me the authorities are not all that interested in these
scams.

I had someone offer to send me a check, so I gave them the name and
address of our local US Attorney.

Sure enough, they sent a check for $2,450, (on a $100 item) via UPS
overnight, and someone signed for it.

Sadly, the AUSA assigned to "criminal" never calls me back or even
answers his phone.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Jedd Haas wrote:
It seems to me the authorities are not all that interested in these
scams.

I had someone offer to send me a check, so I gave them the name and
address of our local US Attorney.

Sure enough, they sent a check for $2,450, (on a $100 item) via UPS
overnight, and someone signed for it.

Sadly, the AUSA assigned to "criminal" never calls me back or even
answers his phone.

Did they do anything illegal? Sending you a check for 24.5 times the amount
of the purchase is not in itself a crime. Did you deposit the check? Did
it bounce? If so, _then_ it's time to get "the authorities" involved.
Until that time there's nothing the AUSA can do except wait for something
illegal to happen. If you're calling him asking him to do something when no
provable violation of the law has occurred then you're wasting his time and
yours.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 22, 6:10*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Jedd Haas wrote:
[...]

If the check is knowingly written on a nonexistent account, an account
with insufficient funds, or otherwise forged it certainly is a crime.
The bounce is certainly proof of a crime but it's not the only proof.
OTOH, you can't really expect the US attorney's office to go after on
every scam. It's time people stop falling for this one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Jedd Haas wrote:
[...]

They sent a FAKE check to the US Attorney. (Perhaps you should re-read
what I wrote, as you seem to have missed the point.)

Incidentally, the scammer also sent an email asking me to send most of
the check proceeds to someone in Georgia. When I googled her name, I
found a bunch of references to the scam, including this:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771465

--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

if you're craiglisting, why not add a line to the effect that any cheques
requiring "change" will only be accepted on the strict understanding that
this will entail an eight week clearing time before goods are despatched or
monies go out?

--B'ored Um'borg, deposed assistant depity chief commissioner, Nigerian
Secret Police. I am running for my life as my office has ransacked and my
identity stolen by an unscrupulous bad fellah who is wearing my gold braid
trouser and sitting in my best chair and who had me knocked on head and made
have plastic surgery to look like someone else I never resemble.

I have 270 million U.S. dollar and forty three cent. from sales of office
furniture and gifts what I am mean to place in a deposit of your choosing
when I can get out of my country with scrotum of St. Paul and genuine one of
Jesus Nike sandal on attractive velvet frame. Supplies limited
I am willing to donate ffdtry percent - nearly half - of this fund to person
who will help me regain what is rightfully mine safely out of country.
To do this I am to need a way to transfer funds to God-fearing resident of
honourable status and kindly disposal and charity who is respectable and
popular with people of good standing in your country with established
account. A mutual friend has told me you are person of integrity and honour
and will be likely to help even without reward, but I would like to repay
your kindness with large sum of untraceable tax-free easy come fund for your
enjoyment for this small favour.

I have no liquid asset, due to plastic surgery look like other fellah and
cannot get served in Post Office so I need a small sum to first get over
border and fly to safe country with Western Union and gentleman's outfitter
where I can arrange the release of funding to your account.

I also need to buy solar panel, a small jazz size drum set, baking
ingredients and customized car with attractive metal flame paint for which I
can pay by immediate cheque which I cannot cash in this country due to
plastic surgery face, but for inconvenience I will pay double value to you
with larger cheque of which you deduct twice the value and forward remainder
to my mother's great aunt living in Alabama.

I look forward to your kindness and Christian Samaritan in this matter of
delicacy and speed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:
if you're craiglisting, why not add a line to the effect that any
cheques requiring "change" will only be accepted on the strict
understanding that this will entail an eight week clearing time
before goods are despatched or monies go out?

It's much more fun to reverse the offer:

"You wire the money to me and I'll send you a certified check as change."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:
if you're craiglisting, why not add a line to the effect that any cheques
requiring "change" will only be accepted on the strict understanding that
this will entail an eight week clearing time before goods are despatched or
monies go out?

A better position might be to state that all payments via check are for
the precise amount and any overage will be kept and/or donated to
charity as it was not requested to begin with. Regardless, the idea of
waiting 6-8 weeks for the checks to clear should be standard.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Just plain old email scam

this just in - Generalimiso Franko is still dead...

Good day ,
My name is Edward,I am a United States Citizen from the States
of Illinois,but i am always away from the US for most parts of the year on
business.I am a dealer in Used and Accidented automobiles and trucks.What i do
is source for used and accidented cars on auction sales from within the united
states ,buy them after due negotiations and then make payments for them for
onward shipment to their various destinations for resale at a much higher profit
making margin mostly in Europes, and asian where there is a very large and
growing market for used cars.
At the moment i have about 2000 accidented cars that i need need to make the
payments for before the cars can be shipped over to the destinations where they
are needed,but owing to the nature of my job which demands my having to globe
trot,I need person that can assist me in mailing out the payment by cheque to
my various sellers under my account and also mailing letter out letters.
I`ll teach the person how to make it out and $500 is the salary for two week.
You will be working two to three hours every three days in a week.
Please contact me if you are really serious bout this Job.
Regards,
Edward.
God Be with You.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
[...]

Scary part is that there are people who fall for this. Franko dead?
Really? ;-)

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

SteveB wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
this just in - Generalimiso Franko is still dead...

Good day ,
My name is Edward,I am a United States Citizen from the States
of Illinois,but i am always away from the US for most parts of the year
on business.I am a dealer in Used and Accidented automobiles and
trucks.What i do
is source for used and accidented cars on auction sales from within the
united

.... snip
Regards,
Edward.
God Be with You.

Scary part is that there are people who fall for this.

Yeah, even with that bit about "accidented cars". Please tell me that
people aren't *that* stupid.

Franko dead?
Really? ;-)

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

cavelamb writes:

At the moment i have about 2000 accidented cars that i need need to make the
payments for before the cars can be shipped over to the destinations where they
are needed,but owing to the nature of my job which demands my having to globe
trot,I need person that can assist me in mailing out the payment by cheque to
my various sellers under my account and also mailing letter out letters.

Yeah. LOL. Just the other day I wanted to buy an accidented car.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Dear Edward.
I am living in asian and is desperate to buy a car that has been written off
in an accident at your higher profit margin.
I particular want buy car with fail brakes and skiddy tire that will make
anniversary gift for wife from rich family, and if gasolene tank is
perforate, so much better. I of course will fix these thing,

I particular look for car with front and back different the same model, held
body filler with nice paint.

Is cherished license plate available, if please, and no record of sale?

--Rodriguez Leonardo "Mikey" Abdul du Pont Singh

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 04:02:23 +0100, cavelamb wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

cavelamb writes:

At the moment i have about 2000 accidented cars that i need need to make
the
payments for before the cars can be shipped over to the destinations
where they
are needed,but owing to the nature of my job which demands my having to
globe
trot,I need person that can assist me in mailing out the payment by
cheque to
my various sellers under my account and also mailing letter out letters.

I never knew the market for accidented cars was so big. I have a better
suggestion. We pool our money, buy some accidented cars to sell at big
profit in Europe, then split the profits. I'll handle all the paperwork, so
just send me $250 each so we can get started buying accidented cars. Be
sure to give me your correct return address so I can send you the profits
once they are sold.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 07:22:08 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:

cavelamb writes:

At the moment i have about 2000 accidented cars that i need need to
make the payments for before the cars can be shipped over to the
destinations where they are needed,but owing to the nature of my job
which demands my having to globe trot,I need person that can assist me
in mailing out the payment by cheque to my various sellers under my
account and also mailing letter out letters.

Yeah. LOL. Just the other day I wanted to buy an accidented car.

I've already got one :-).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

cavelamb writes:

At the moment i have about 2000 accidented cars that i need need to
make the payments for before the cars can be shipped over to the
destinations where they are needed,but owing to the nature of my job
which demands my having to globe trot,I need person that can assist me
in mailing out the payment by cheque to my various sellers under my
account and also mailing letter out letters.

Yeah. LOL. Just the other day I wanted to buy an accidented car.

I've already got one :-).

Love the word, if nothing else.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

cavelamb writes:

At the moment i have about 2000 accidented cars that i need need to
make the payments for before the cars can be shipped over to the
destinations where they are needed,but owing to the nature of my job
which demands my having to globe trot,I need person that can assist me
in mailing out the payment by cheque to my various sellers under my
account and also mailing letter out letters.
Yeah. LOL. Just the other day I wanted to buy an accidented car.

I've already got one :-).

Love the word, if nothing else.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

:-) I had a chuckle when I noticed that in Oz, the autobody repair
shops, they're all called (signs and all) Smash Shops.
Smash Repairs Done Here! Expert Smash Repairs, etc.. quite funny.