DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Forged Craigslist scam checks (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/276183-forged-craigslist-scam-checks.html)

Ignoramus14774 April 18th 09 06:58 AM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

cavelamb April 18th 09 07:01 AM

Ignoramus14774 wrote:
I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

Deposit it in your bank and wait for it to clear.
That's the real test.

If it clears? Maybe you should ship something to him?

Ignoramus14774 April 18th 09 07:05 AM

On 2009-04-18, cavelamb wrote:
Ignoramus14774 wrote:
[...]

It will not clear, or worse, it will clear and then the "issuer" bank
will come for a refund. I will be stuck with bounced check charges. I
will definitely not deposit it.

Tim Wescott April 18th 09 07:21 AM

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:58:35 -0500, Ignoramus14774 wrote:

I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer mailed
me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts of stuff
that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would rudely
decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire money to "his
shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

Contact your local authorities with the story, and see if they're
interested. It's your duty as a citizen -- see if they'll do their duty
as cops.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott April 18th 09 07:24 AM

On 2009-04-18, cavelamb wrote:
Ignoramus14774 wrote:
[...]

I don't believe that you get bounced check charges unless _your_ checks
bounce. What _does_ happen is that the bank has to (by fed. law) say
that the check has "cleared" in three days even if they don't have the
money in hand. Later on, when it becomes clear they won't get the money,
they deduct it from your account.

But don't believe me ('cause I may be wrong!) -- go ask the teller at the
bank when you cash the check.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] April 18th 09 08:23 AM

wrote:

I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

Rule #1: You can't defraud an honest man. If you get greedy, that's
when you get burned - you want to believe.

If it was me, I'd see if there is a branch of the bank the check is
drawn on anywhere nearby you can go to and cash it directly - and if
they won't hand you the cash money right now, "that's okay - make a
copy of the check, and when you are certain that it's good I'll come
back and we can exchange the original check for the money."

The bank CAN stop a "Cashiers Check" if they claim fraud, so that's
not an acceptable exchange substitute.

If they do cash it but they take a fee for you being a
"non-customer" just subtract that from what the guy wants you to send
to "his shipper." And if it proves to be a fraud, frame it on your
office wall for a reminder.

Local law enforcement and the local District Atty. CAN do something
about it, the problem is that first you have to get them out of the
Donut Shop or Starbucks long enough to do it... ;-)

-- Bruce --

Bill Noble[_2_] April 18th 09 08:40 AM

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 01:05:53 -0500, Ignoramus14774 wrote:

I don't believe that you get bounced check charges unless _your_ checks
bounce. What _does_ happen is that the bank has to (by fed. law) say
that the check has "cleared" in three days even if they don't have the
money in hand. Later on, when it becomes clear they won't get the money,
they deduct it from your account.

But don't believe me ('cause I may be wrong!) -- go ask the teller at the
bank when you cash the check.

--

tim - I can assure you that you are mistaken - I just recently had a check
someone gave me bounce - my bank charged me $10, his bank may have charged

pyotr filipivich April 18th 09 08:53 AM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

Let the Record show that Ignoramus14774
on or about Sat, 18 Apr 2009
00:58:35 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

So what? It is amazing what you can do with a good quality
printer these days.

If you suspect it is a forged check, take it to the authorities.
Start with a bank - either the one the check is drawn on, or yours.
Depositing it can cause all sorts of troubles ... for you.

good luck

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Tom Veatch[_2_] April 18th 09 08:53 AM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 01:01:31 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Deposit it in your bank and wait for it to clear.
That's the real test.

If it clears? Maybe you should ship something to him?

Don't those scams typically involve a "Cashiers" or otherwise
certified check or money order? I'd estimate the probability of it
being a scam somewhere in excess of 99.99%.

Assuming:
a) I had any idea that the transaction might be satisfactorily
completed ( 0.01% probability),
b) there was no other potential buyer anywhere in sight, and
c) I was desperate to rid myself of the item

Then I'd:
Notify the seller that I would not accept a check and would ship only
after my bank notified me that a wire transfer of funds had been
received and if he wished me to make any payments to 3rd parties, my
fee for the fiduciary service is 10% of the purchase price for each
payment made.

I did that once just for the fun of it when some guy wanted me to ship
a 100# propane tank from Kansas to England. Apparently he didn't see
the humor in it since he never replied to my note.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

dadiOH[_3_] April 18th 09 11:35 AM

Ignoramus14774 wrote:
On 2009-04-18, cavelamb wrote:
Ignoramus14774 wrote:
[...]

My idiot ex-father-in-law did. Three of them, all from an "insurance
company", all bounced.

Now the bank is suing him for the $48,000+ they are out and he'll wind up
with still another lien on his house. The bank will collect when he dies
and the house is sold *IF* the house sells for enough to cover the more
senior encumbrances and their 48 large. Since he is 80 the bank may find
out soon. I hope so.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Spehro Pefhany April 18th 09 01:27 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:58:35 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus14774
wrote:

I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

I'd be interested in seeing a really high quality scan of it (black
out any info you don't want made public, of course).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Ignoramus14774 April 18th 09 02:08 PM

On 2009-04-18, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 01:05:53 -0500, Ignoramus14774 wrote:
I don't believe that you get bounced check charges unless _your_ checks
bounce.

I had quite a few others' checks bounce and my bank did charge me.

What _does_ happen is that the bank has to (by fed. law) say
that the check has "cleared" in three days even if they don't have the
money in hand. Later on, when it becomes clear they won't get the money,
they deduct it from your account.

That could be.

But don't believe me ('cause I may be wrong!) -- go ask the teller
at the bank when you cash the check.

This is a "Wells Fargo" check. I am 100% sure it is fake. Here's the
latest email from the "buyer" (the asking price for the item was $600):

``Hello I***,

Thank you getting back to me promptly.
The reason for the amount $2850 is because of the shipping.
You are to deduct the money for the item and send the
rest to my shipper through WESTERN UNION and as soon as you send me
the
necessary information and my shipper picks up the funds.He will pick
up the item in a day or two as he will be shipping it with my other
items. Send the rest to this person through WESTERN UNION.

*NAME :J**** T****
ADDRESS :1448 E 58 St
Brooklyn, NY 11234*''

Brad Bruce[_2_] April 18th 09 02:10 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

Ignoramus14774 wrote in
:

I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

DO NOT DEPOSIT IT!!!!

The offender can get your bank account number.

Your post sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me last year. I called
the company that supposedly issued the check and spoke to their security
guy. He was VERY interested. It turned out that this particular
scammer had chosen the wrong company to pretend to be.

Last I heard the FBI was tracking him down.

Did the check come via UPS / FedEx / DHL? If so, they cannot do
anything. Only the US postal service can deal with interstate fraud
like this.

Good Luck
Brad

Ignoramus14774 April 18th 09 02:10 PM

wrote:

[...]

OK, I will scan it. This is a "check" that is made to look like a
Wells Fargo check. I have another Wells Fargo check from a customer,
and they look somewhat different, on the real one thereis a logo of
WFC, for example.

(I own 1000 shares of Wells Fargo also)

dpb April 18th 09 02:16 PM

Ignoramus14774 wrote:
On 2009-04-18, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Take the entire transaction packet to cops or just throw it
away--there's absolutely no point in anything in between. Whether the
local cops can do anything is doubtful 'cuz undoubtedly you're not in
NY. The other choice is the State Atty Gen'l or their fraud squad who
follow this stuff.

This is so rampant it's not possible for them to track them all. Story
on national news just a couple days ago -- the folks in your position
that get used and fall for this can be in a real spot as well -- the
banks definitely will come for the money and if checks are written that
don't clear because they've withdrawn the funds you're responsible, not
the guy who gave you the bum check for those and lots of other bad
consequences.

Getting involved to begin w/ was pretty silly imo...

Donald Weber April 18th 09 02:17 PM

"Ignoramus14774" wrote in message
I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

Ask for ceritfied checks. that should stop the problem

Morris Dovey April 18th 09 02:24 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

Ignoramus14774 wrote:

That could be.

But don't believe me ('cause I may be wrong!) -- go ask the teller
at the bank when you cash the check.

This is a "Wells Fargo" check. I am 100% sure it is fake. Here's the
latest email from the "buyer" (the asking price for the item was $600):

``Hello I***,

Thank you getting back to me promptly.
The reason for the amount $2850 is because of the shipping.
You are to deduct the money for the item and send the
rest to my shipper through WESTERN UNION and as soon as you send me
the
necessary information and my shipper picks up the funds.He will pick
up the item in a day or two as he will be shipping it with my other
items. Send the rest to this person through WESTERN UNION.

*NAME :J**** T****
ADDRESS :1448 E 58 St
Brooklyn, NY 11234*''

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Morris Dovey April 18th 09 02:27 PM

Brad Bruce wrote:

Your post sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me last year. I called
the company that supposedly issued the check and spoke to their security
guy. He was VERY interested. It turned out that this particular
scammer had chosen the wrong company to pretend to be.

Last I heard the FBI was tracking him down.

Yeah, sure. Suggest they focus on Accra, Ghana.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Ed Pawlowski April 18th 09 02:27 PM

"Donald Weber" wrote in message

Ask for ceritfied checks. that should stop the problem

Nope, they have been forged also.

sweet sawdust April 18th 09 02:42 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

"Ignoramus14774" wrote in message
I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

The following happened to me:
One Item worth about $1200 new on Craig's list for $300 or best offer, E
mail from buyer wanting item, offered to send check for item and shipping
costs to be paid to his shipper, since he was out of town. Check arrives by
UPS for $3900 and has instructions to sent $2000 to shipper $500 to me and
rest to him by my check all to PO boxes. I called the bank the check was
written on and they confirmed it was a stolen, not forged cashier's check,
that had the amount, siginature etc forged on it. Contacted Police, FBI etc
and they were uninterested. Recieved another check for another item on
Crair's list same routine except this was written on a company not a
caisher's check. Called bank and it was a stolen check, called company and
they got exicited and asked for the check which I sent them. My local bank
will not cash a cashier's check, they hold the check until they get the
money in hand before they give you a dime of it, to many people getting
burned according to the manager I talked to. Of the three checks I got all
three were stolen checks, all three were for $3900, all were sent UPS at a
cost of $35 shipping, all paid UPS with stolen credit cards. Two were e-mail
transactions and one was just sent to me and I never did know what for.

F. George McDuffee April 18th 09 02:51 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 08:27:37 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:
snip
My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

snip
It is always possible that the check is genuine in the sense that
it is a stolen genuine check or a genuine check for an account
created for the scam w/ ISF.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

jeff22 April 18th 09 03:00 PM

Ignoramus14774 wrote:
I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

Fughedabout the authorities, they are overloaded with complaints about
those scams.

A few years ago, just for ****s and grins I tried to see how long I
could play a scammer before he got off the hook.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/j...ambusting.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Richard W. April 18th 09 03:54 PM

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 01:05:53 -0500, Ignoramus14774 wrote:

I don't believe that you get bounced check charges unless _your_ checks
bounce. What _does_ happen is that the bank has to (by fed. law) say
that the check has "cleared" in three days even if they don't have the
money in hand. Later on, when it becomes clear they won't get the money,
they deduct it from your account.

But don't believe me ('cause I may be wrong!) -- go ask the teller at the
bank when you cash the check.

--

tim - I can assure you that you are mistaken - I just recently had a check
someone gave me bounce - my bank charged me $10, his bank may have charged
him something also

That's right, my wife had her paycheck bounce and we were charged $27.00.
You get charged if you bounce a check or someone give you a bad check and
you deposit it in your account. The thing to do is if the check is written
on a bank with a branch in your area, go there and just cash it. If there is
enough money in the account you get paid. If there isn't enough money in the
account, you don't get paid.

Richard W.

[email protected] April 18th 09 04:26 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

On Apr 18, 6:58*am, Ignoramus14774

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

I would start with a local branch of Well Fargo. If they are not
interested, I would use the internet to find the police in Brooklyn
where the funds were to be sent, and notify them. I would think they
would be interested in anyone in their jurisdiction.

Dan

Len April 18th 09 04:56 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

"Ignoramus14774" wrote in message
I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

If the check was mailed to you, contact your local Postal Inspectors
office. Using the U.S. Mail to commit fraud is a serious Federal
offense, and they don't care if whoever sent it is in another state.

Len

Ignoramus10355 April 18th 09 05:15 PM

On 2009-04-18, sweet sawdust wrote:
[...]

Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

-MIKE- April 18th 09 05:22 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

It's very common for criminals to get their hands on checks with valid
signatures, bleach out the "pay to" and "amount" sections and write in
other names and amounts.

Newer check producing technology combats this.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

FrozenNorth[_4_] April 18th 09 05:59 PM

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:22:27 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

It's very common for criminals to get their hands on checks with valid
signatures, bleach out the "pay to" and "amount" sections and write in
other names and amounts.

Newer check producing technology combats this.

While that is true in theory, it doesn't work out in practice, bank
clearing procedures are going digital, the front and back of the check is
scanned, then the check is destroyed. Just a digital image is being
transferred between financial institutions.

--
Froz...

J. Clarke April 18th 09 06:02 PM

-MIKE- wrote:
Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

It's very common for criminals to get their hands on checks with valid
signatures, bleach out the "pay to" and "amount" sections and write in
other names and amounts.

Newer check producing technology combats this.

One of my clients was printing checks on an inkjet printer with water
soluble ink. I warned them that this was dangerous and that they should use
a laser or impact printer for checks. They wouldn't listen. One rainy day
I managed to drop my mail in the gutter. It included a check from them.
When I opened the envelope I found that the check was blank except for the
signatures. I took this in and showed it to their CEO and reminded her that
there was well over a million dollars in that account. She ordered a laser
printer right then and there.

-MIKE- April 18th 09 06:30 PM

FrozenNorth wrote:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:22:27 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

It's very common for criminals to get their hands on checks with valid
signatures, bleach out the "pay to" and "amount" sections and write in
other names and amounts.

Newer check producing technology combats this.

While that is true in theory, it doesn't work out in practice,

Hmmm, it's worked for years in practice.
Visit any prison to ask how it's done.

bank
clearing procedures are going digital, the front and back of the check is
scanned, then the check is destroyed. Just a digital image is being
transferred between financial institutions.

That would fall under the newer technology I mentioned that combats it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

FrozenNorth[_4_] April 18th 09 06:44 PM

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:30:31 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

FrozenNorth wrote:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:22:27 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

It's very common for criminals to get their hands on checks with valid
signatures, bleach out the "pay to" and "amount" sections and write in
other names and amounts.

Newer check producing technology combats this.

While that is true in theory, it doesn't work out in practice,

Hmmm, it's worked for years in practice.
Visit any prison to ask how it's done.

bank
clearing procedures are going digital, the front and back of the check is
scanned, then the check is destroyed. Just a digital image is being
transferred between financial institutions.

That would fall under the newer technology I mentioned that combats it.

Evidence was destroyed, the scanning will not pick up the techniques used
bt a good check forger.

--
Froz...

-MIKE- April 18th 09 06:46 PM

FrozenNorth wrote:

Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

It's very common for criminals to get their hands on checks with valid
signatures, bleach out the "pay to" and "amount" sections and write in
other names and amounts.

Newer check producing technology combats this.
While that is true in theory, it doesn't work out in practice,

Hmmm, it's worked for years in practice.
Visit any prison to ask how it's done.

bank
clearing procedures are going digital, the front and back of the check is
scanned, then the check is destroyed. Just a digital image is being
transferred between financial institutions.

That would fall under the newer technology I mentioned that combats it.

Evidence was destroyed, the scanning will not pick up the techniques used
bt a good check forger.

What the heck is your point?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

John April 18th 09 06:52 PM

Ignoramus14774 wrote:

I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer
mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts
of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would
rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire
money to "his shipper".

So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me
and mailed me a check.

I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious
about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police
for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of
receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?

My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had
microprinting and a watermark.

Check with your bank and see if they will do an immediate electronic
transfer of funds from the other bank of that check. They may charge a
fee but it would tell you right away if the check is bogus. I have done
that in the past to insure that the check was legit. The banking rules
in each state are different and in some states you can even stop a
certified check or bank check but better have a good reason.

John

Bob Summers April 18th 09 07:08 PM

Forged Craigslist scam checks

He mailed it to you?! He didn't use FedEx?? That means you can
call meanest law enforcement officers in the Federal Government!
The United States of America Postal Inspectors. I've never
invoked them but I have used the US Mail on occasion so that I
would have that option. Postal inspectors take mail fraud seriously.

Bob S

cavelamb April 18th 09 07:48 PM

Ignoramus14774 wrote:

This is a "Wells Fargo" check. I am 100% sure it is fake. Here's the
latest email from the "buyer" (the asking price for the item was $600):

``Hello I***,

Thank you getting back to me promptly.
The reason for the amount $2850 is because of the shipping.
You are to deduct the money for the item and send the
rest to my shipper through WESTERN UNION and as soon as you send me
the
necessary information and my shipper picks up the funds.He will pick
up the item in a day or two as he will be shipping it with my other
items. Send the rest to this person through WESTERN UNION.

*NAME :J**** T****
ADDRESS :1448 E 58 St
Brooklyn, NY 11234*''

Nope - that's a scam.

Ignoramus10355 April 18th 09 09:22 PM

On 2009-04-18, Bob Summers wrote:
He mailed it to you?! He didn't use FedEx?? That means you can
call meanest law enforcement officers in the Federal Government!
The United States of America Postal Inspectors. I've never
invoked them but I have used the US Mail on occasion so that I
would have that option. Postal inspectors take mail fraud seriously.

No, he Fedexed it. It was sloppy wording on my part.

Bob S

Maxwell Lol April 18th 09 09:28 PM

Tim Wescott writes:

Contact your local authorities with the story, and see if they're
interested. It's your duty as a citizen -- see if they'll do their duty
as cops.

Do the local cops after international crooks? Not likely.

Maxwell Lol April 18th 09 09:30 PM

pyotr filipivich writes:

So what? It is amazing what you can do with a good quality
printer these days.

AFAIK You buy the blank checks, and use a special cartridge that is
magnetic for the account number. I'm not sure if a laser printer will work.

DGDevin April 18th 09 09:47 PM

Richard W. wrote:

That's right, my wife had her paycheck bounce and we were charged
$27.00. You get charged if you bounce a check or someone give you a
bad check and you deposit it in your account. The thing to do is if
the check is written on a bank with a branch in your area, go there
and just cash it. If there is enough money in the account you get
paid. If there isn't enough money in the account, you don't get paid.

Richard W.

You can also try to cash a check more than once, provided there is no fee
for you to pay if it won't clear that can be worthwhile to try. Some banks
will even hold the check for you and clear it if enough money is deposited
to the account.

DGDevin April 18th 09 09:53 PM

Ignoramus14774 wrote:

This is a "Wells Fargo" check. I am 100% sure it is fake. Here's the
latest email from the "buyer" (the asking price for the item was
$600):

``Hello I***,

Thank you getting back to me promptly.
The reason for the amount $2850 is because of the shipping.
You are to deduct the money for the item and send the
rest to my shipper through WESTERN UNION and as soon as you send me
the
necessary information and my shipper picks up the funds.He will pick
up the item in a day or two as he will be shipping it with my other
items. Send the rest to this person through WESTERN UNION.

*NAME :J**** T****
ADDRESS :1448 E 58 St
Brooklyn, NY 11234*''

Guaranteed scam, the poor slob is Brooklyn is being paid to redirect
packages elsewhere, probably overseas; odds are he'll end up getting burned
too. Such scammers are even using very convincing (but fake) Postal Money
Orders so their victims think there's no way it could be a scam, but it is.

I'd take this to the police fraud squad, or if the Postal Service is
involved to the Postal Inspector. At least they can have the cops in
Brooklyn alert the re-shipper he is unwittingly being used in a criminal
enterprise.